Gentle Wibbly Wobbly

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Re: Gentle Wibbly Wobbly

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:26 am
JD01 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:35 am I just tried a pedal by Fender called a Pinwheel
https://astrings.co.uk/products/fender- ... 9def&_ss=r
It was really good, a few settings on it that I just couldn't quite work out just from playing and knob twiddling, but it had some really good sounds in it.

Apparently its a Leslie pedal, but I think its a sort of combined Leslie and Tremolo. Cool anyway.
all those new Fender pedals get really good reviews
Yeah, its definitely on my list of pedals I'd like to get. I want to have a bit of a read or watch a review or two of how it works and then spend another half an hour with it. Trying to see what things do when you don't know what any of the knobs do is often quite tricky when you're just sitting in a shop!
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

well other than the mode switch, everything else seems pretty self-explanatory .... what were you having trouble with?

ah, the mode switch seems like it's 3 different leslies .... the Vibratone was a Fender-Leslie made specifically for guitar ... no horn ... just a 12" speaker.
I imagine one of the other two is a Leslie 147 maybe ....
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:01 pm well other than the mode switch, everything else seems pretty self-explanatory .... what were you having trouble with?
Yeah, I didn't know what the modes did. The sensitivity was a bit weird, if you dug in a bit it started going really fast. Even the speeds on the fast and slow seemed a bit weird. Also the slow/fast break button and the ramp didn't quite work as expected. I tended to like it best in slow mode with the slowness set quite low and also the sensitivity set quite low... that was it didn't go bananas if I picked quite hard or stabbed a chord.

I got a fairly good approximation of this tone which I quite liked
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

JD01 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:10 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:01 pm well other than the mode switch, everything else seems pretty self-explanatory .... what were you having trouble with?
Yeah, I didn't know what the modes did. The sensitivity was a bit weird, if you dug in a bit it started going really fast. Even the speeds on the fast and slow seemed a bit weird. Also the slow/fast break button and the ramp didn't quite work as expected. I tended to like it best in slow mode with the slowness set quite low and also the sensitivity set quite low... that was it didn't go bananas if I picked quite hard or stabbed a chord.

couldn't you turn the sensitivity to 'off'?
I absolutely would NOT like my picking to change speeds or intensity ...... I want it to work like a Leslie
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:51 pm
JD01 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:10 pm

couldn't you turn the sensitivity to 'off'?
I absolutely would NOT like my picking to change speeds or intensity ...... I want it to work like a Leslie
I'm assuming with the knob at the bottom it's basically off.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bob, here's a demo of the Pinwheel pedal
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I like that Tre-verb one!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Think I'm going to try and get one of these Pinwheel pedals or possibly the one Lt. Bob recommended. Just want to get to a shop and try a few more before I decide on it.

Realised, I'm totally fucking sick of pedal reviews! There's so many about now and the reviews are generally unwatchable.
I generally trust That Pedal Show as they actually know what they're talking about and demonstrate them in detail... but, they tend to play obscure stuff that costs of a fortune through 10 grands worth of guitar and amp.

I think the only way I'm going to get gear from now on is trying it or by recommendation.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

JD01 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:16 am Think I'm going to try and get one of these Pinwheel pedals or possibly the one Lt. Bob recommended. Just want to get to a shop and try a few more before I decide on it.

Realised, I'm totally fucking sick of pedal reviews! There's so many about now and the reviews are generally unwatchable.
I generally trust That Pedal Show as they actually know what they're talking about and demonstrate them in detail... but, they tend to play obscure stuff that costs of a fortune through 10 grands worth of guitar and amp.

I think the only way I'm going to get gear from now on is trying it or by recommendation.
I went diving into the Kemper this afternoon - whilst it started out as an amp thing - they loaded it FULL of various effects, all for free - and they're not at all bad either. That's how I do the vibrato/tremolo basic sound thing, just load up two "stomp" effects in some of the 8 possible chain locations.

Anyways, I noticed a rotary speaker thing in there so I might give it a burl over the weekend. Didn't have time today. Not sure how, or if, you can control the ramp up and down - should be possible with some sort of footswitch I guess, but even if not it might be a handy little thing to use from time to time.

If it sounds OK I'll post a tone or two after Easter.

I think the Strymon Flint - which isn't one of their mega pedals, just simple knobs on it - does the Leslie thing too - as it's a few years old now it probably doesn't do it as well as Lt's pedal or the pinwheel, but worth a listen on YouTube, perhaps.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

JD01 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:16 am

reviews on the net are almost totally useless.
You know I have a lot of pedals right?
Every single one of them sounds significantly different in person than whatever review I may have watched.
A pedal is super sensative to amp/speaker/picking attack ... the impedance loading of those p'ups and how hot they are.
Unless you pick exactly as hard as the reviewer and your p'ups are exactlythe same as theirs and the front end of your amp is exactly the same as theirs, their review just ain't gonna tell you much.

I lusted for a long time for the Catlinbread RAH ./.... while I like it aight, it simply doesn't sound the same for me as what I thought it would.
You just can't tell for sure on pedals without trying them in your space thru your gear.

It's a crapshoot so recommendations are better but still ..... you don't know for sure whether I'm psychotic and simply like a shitty sounding pedal.

Example ..... Greg and I think the HOF is a great pedal .... you don't ..... case and point
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:51 am Example ..... Greg and I think the HOF is a great pedal .... you don't ..... case and point
I think I just really hate digital menus and options. I get that feeling that I can't leave it alone and spend more time messing about with it than I do actually playing.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

JD01 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:53 am
Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:51 am Example ..... Greg and I think the HOF is a great pedal .... you don't ..... case and point
I think I just really hate digital menus and options. I get that feeling that I can't leave it alone and spend more time messing about with it than I do actually playing.
it doesn't have a digital menu ... what do you mean?
It just has knobs selecting the verb you want and normal things like tone and delay and ummm ... forgot the other.
And if you have a HOF II then there are 3 slots for toneprints .... ignore them if you don't want to fool with them.
The plate and room verbs are quite good and certainly good enough for what you're describing as your needs .... to make a direct out sound less dry.

If you don't like digital menus don't hook it up to your puter.

TBH, sounds like you just want another pedal and personally I'm all for it! Can't have too many pedals AFAIC
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:22 pm
JD01 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:53 am
it doesn't have a digital menu ... what do you mean?
It just has knobs selecting the verb you want and normal things like tone and delay and ummm ... forgot the other.
And if you have a HOF II then there are 3 slots for toneprints .... ignore them if you don't want to fool with them.
The plate and room verbs are quite good and certainly good enough for what you're describing as your needs .... to make a direct out sound less dry.

If you don't like digital menus don't hook it up to your puter.

TBH, sounds like you just want another pedal and personally I'm all for it! Can't have too many pedals AFAIC
Nah, the HoF mini only has one knob and you have to use TonePrint to choose your reverb.
I probably do just want another pedal too.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

JD01 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:30 pm
Nah, the HoF mini only has one knob and you have to use TonePrint to choose your reverb.
oh ... you have the mini?!!?
lol .... that's barely a pedal!

I can see why that would be not what you need.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:47 pm
JD01 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:30 pm
oh ... you have the mini?!!?
lol .... that's barely a pedal!

I can see why that would be not what you need.
Exactly - I don't have a need for drippy spring, I just want a bit of space so I'll probably get the JHS one.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Naturally someone's already done it. I wish they'd turn all the other effects off when they were doing this... :frown:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

JD01

Post by JD01 »

That sounds cool.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Just picked up a Pinwheel on eBay for £110.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

JD01 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:01 pm Just picked up a Pinwheel on eBay for £110.
very curious about this ..... it's a pretty pedal.
I don't need two leslies but I might have gotten this instead of the E.H. Lester had it been around.