TC Electronic TonePrint

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

TC Electronic TonePrint

Post by JD01 »

Dudes, I think a few of us have TC TonePrint stuff - you know, that witchcraft where you beam a pedal setting through your pickups.

Just asking if anyone has any good interesting reverb or delay effects that you've discovered in the library or have developed yourself. I've not tried developing one yet. I think I'm currently using "Air" by Robben Ford although I don't know how to check.

In fact, I just realised there's more to TonePrint than just randomly clicking on them until you find one you like - has anyone used its full capabilities?
Greg_L

Re: TC Electronic TonePrint

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:39 am that witchcraft where you beam a pedal setting through your pickups.
What???? :confused:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:05 am
JD01 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:39 am that witchcraft where you beam a pedal setting through your pickups.
What???? :confused:
You must have seen that? You get the TonePrint app on your phone, find a preset, then play the weird dial up modem sound from your phone speaker through your pickups and it changes your pedal.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:21 am
You must have seen that? You get the TonePrint app on your phone, find a preset, then play the weird dial up modem sound from your phone speaker through your pickups and it changes your pedal.
That sounds vaguely familiar but there's no way I'd participate in any of that nonsense.

I'm actually at the point now where I'm ready to sell all of my pedals off. I'm so done with pedals and pedal culture. :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:49 am pedal culture. :lollers2:
:lollers2: WTF is pedal culture?!?!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:54 am
The extreme over-saturation of pedals on the market, pedal youtube channels, pedal discussions, and people that obsess over them. The WORST part of a guitar's signal chain is the most popular and it's stupid.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:57 am
The extreme over-saturation of pedals on the market, pedal youtube channels, pedal discussions, and people that obsess over them. The WORST part of a guitar's signal chain is the most popular and it's stupid.
Its almost like they're a stamp collectors type thing. Like how you'd get a football sticker annual as a kid.

I actually never use reverb when I'm recording, its just something I like on when I'm messing about playing.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:00 pm
Its almost like they're a stamp collectors type thing. Like how you'd get a football sticker annual as a kid.

I actually never use reverb when I'm recording, its just something I like on when I'm messing about playing.
I know a guy that has like five delays on his stupid pedalboard. He doesn't play live. He doesn't write or record. He doesn't do sessions. He just jams by himself in his room. He insists he needs these delays. He keeps obsessing over the latest and greatest gigantic 500 dollar double overdrive fuzz box from some obscure pedal builder in Iceland or whatever. He doesn't have any "normal" pedals. You won't find a Tube Screamer or a Phase 90 on his board. He only has these huge boutiquey turd boxes you've never heard of. His tone is permanent ass.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Ok, so I watched some videos on these pedals.

It kind of seems cool, but ultimately largely impractical.
Heck, I've got two iStomps, and even that was way more drama than is necessary. I just found settings I like and put them in a fire-and-forget mode on my psychedelic board.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:06 pm
JD01 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:00 pm

I know a guy that has like five delays on his stupid pedalboard. He doesn't play live. He doesn't write or record. He doesn't do sessions. He just jams by himself in his room. He insists he needs these delays. He keeps obsessing over the latest and greatest gigantic 500 dollar double overdrive fuzz box from some obscure pedal builder in Iceland or whatever. He doesn't have any "normal" pedals. You won't find a Tube Screamer or a Phase 90 on his board. He only has these huge boutiquey turd boxes you've never heard of. His tone is permanent ass.
Eh? I didn't know you'd been to my house.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:49 pm
Lol that aint you. You might be a pedal whore but you don't have a bunch of boutiquey nonsense.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:05 pm
JD01 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:49 pm
Lol that aint you. You might be a pedal whore but you don't have a bunch of boutiquey nonsense.
I actually don't have that many pedals, I record and I do use them all recording (except the reverb). My chain is pretty basic really and I have a reason for it all. TS, OCD and Klone. TS is to make a lead line cut through a mix which it does well. The OCD and Klone are so I can add a slightly different flavour to double tracked guitars... particularly when I'm tracking with the same guitar. Aside from that I have a basic Boss Chorus, a basic EHX Phaser, a flanger and a delay.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:06 pm He only has these huge boutiquey turd boxes you've never heard of. His tone is permanent ass.
lol ..... that's super common :lollers:
Greg_L wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:57 am
You don't have to be part of pedal culture just to use a stupid pedal.

For the record I absolutely agree that pedal culture and the over the top shit about this or that pedal is freakin' stupid.
My very fav pedals are cheap and the pedal nerd would laugh at them but my 33 dollar Wish Klon clone is as good as a $5000 Klon so fuck them and their obsessiveness.

I like pedals and have at least 100 of them but I'm definitely not into the obsessive "what kind of diode does it have?" crap. I just have fun with them.

Having said that ..... the 'amp culture' obsessing over this or that and the 'tube culture' obsessing over NOS tubes or the 'vinyl culture' obsessing over pressings are all equally stupid and pointless.
It's just that when people really get into something they analyze it into the barely noticeable minutiae.

For example ......... I bet that I could plug into any of your Marshalls which you hear differences among and within 15 minutes I'd have all of them sounding about the same because I'd dial in the sound I like.
But they're something you're really into so you'd go "Wait ...... you don't hear the differences between these?" Well of course I can but in practical terms it would have no meaning for me since I could get any of them to do what I want.

Everyone has their thing and they get deeper into it than makes sense to people not into it.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:34 pm
You don't have to be part of pedal culture just to use a stupid pedal.

For the record I absolutely agree that pedal culture and the over the top shit about this or that pedal is freakin' stupid.
My very fav pedals are cheap and the pedal nerd would laugh at them but my 33 dollar Wish Klon clone is as good as a $5000 Klon so fuck them and their obsessiveness.

I like pedals and have at least 100 of them but I'm definitely not into the obsessive "what kind of diode does it have?" crap. I just have fun with them.

Having said that ..... the 'amp culture' obsessing over this or that and the 'tube culture' obsessing over NOS tubes or the 'vinyl culture' obsessing over pressings are all equally stupid and pointless.
It's just that when people really get into something they analyze it into the barely noticeable minutiae.

For example ......... I bet that I could plug into any of your Marshalls which you hear differences among and within 15 minutes I'd have all of them sounding about the same because I'd dial in the sound I like.
But they're something you're really into so you'd go "Wait ...... you don't hear the differences between these?" Well of course I can but in practical terms it would have no meaning for me since I could get any of them to do what I want.

Everyone has their thing and they get deeper into it than makes sense to people not into it.
It's all just musical masturbation because ultimately the listener doesn't give a fuck...if there is even a listener.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I think one of the best and most surprisingly powerful forces in the fight against guitar tone obsessiveness has been Jim Lill. He's just a semi-anonymous guy that plays guitar in Nashville and he started making YouTube videos comparing various things that affect guitar tone. His efforts alone have done more to dispel a bunch of guitar tone nonsense than anybody else I can think of.

Seriously, his experiments for amps, speakers, cabinets, guitar parts, strings, etc. have shut up a lot of tone snob cork sniffers. Although a lot of those guys will never change what they believe regardless of the evidence put right in front of their face. Hmmm, sounds eerily similar to politics :D

I watch some of the nutball boutique pedal demos on YouTube, and I mildly enjoy some of them. The big trend now seems to be weird delay/modulation/extreme reverb pedals that strike me as nearly useless. The demos always leave me asking the same question: why would anybody ever want a $500 box just to make their guitar go "beep beep diddlydiddlydiddlydiddly"?

I did get a kick out of Josh Scott demonstrating that a $60 Bad Monkey pedal sounds identical to a $5000 Klon pedal. Then prices for the Bad Monkey skyrocketed overnight and now you can't get one for less than $200. Freaking guitarists, man. We're apparently a bunch of idiots.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:35 pm

It's all just musical masturbation because ultimately the listener doesn't give a fuck...if there is even a listener.
yep .... my favorite story about audience failure is from the 80's ...... I may have told this.

Two friends did a jazz duo (guitar & piano) at a bar called Poets where yuppie businessmen would sip martinis and listen to jazz.

During their break we got to talking about this very thing so, as a test, when they went back up they played 'Misty' but played it half a step apart.
For the entire song she was in E and he was in F ..... that's the absolute worst something can sound ..... every note and every chord was half a step apart.

Not a single person so much as looked up.
:spacepalm:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Tadpui wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:47 pm

I watch some of the nutball boutique pedal demos on YouTube, and I mildly enjoy some of them. The big trend now seems to be weird delay/modulation/extreme reverb pedals that strike me as nearly useless. The demos always leave me asking the same question: why would anybody ever want a $500 box just to make their guitar go "beep beep diddlydiddlydiddlydiddly"?
I know ...... a lot of these things seem to exist just to make weird sounds that have no actual musical usefulness.

They're for people that just sit in their rooms and piddle around with stuff although from time to time some creative player might find something to use it for for 15 seconds of one song over 5 albums.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:05 pm

They're for people that just sit in their rooms and piddle around with stuff
Yes that ^^^^^

That's pedal culture.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:05 pm
Tadpui wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:47 pm

I know ...... a lot of these things seem to exist just to make weird sounds that have no actual musical usefulness.

They're for people that just sit in their rooms and piddle around with stuff although from time to time some creative player might find something to use it for for 15 seconds of one song over 5 albums.
The only time I've heard a DOD Gonkulator is a short bit about 10s long in an Incubus song
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

The JHS guy's Bad Monkey YouTube thing. 😀

Excellent trolling ...