Just a bit of fun.....

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
Mr Clean

Just a bit of fun.....

Post by Mr Clean »

This was more of a "how do you make a video and sync things up" experiment after my boss suggested the idea. Challenge accepted.

I recorded this first video with my phone, just having a noodle with some new strings on a crappy old guitar I got for £8 at a car boot sale a few years back.

After my boss suggestion, the next day, I did this to it.

The two guitar/vocal videos are phone audio. Drums and Bass are computer recordings sync with phone video of me playing. The audio from each video is mixed in the video editing software, just basic volume up and down. Nothing special. I could have done better in the DAW but as I say, it was only an experiment.

It was fun to do. I imagine it to be a massive ballache for a big recording though. :lollers:
Cheap Gear - In A Square Room! Getting the job done! :coolstorybro:
JD01

Re: Just a bit of fun.....

Post by JD01 »

That's really good, tight playing. A good reminder to not over-complicate a drum part and concentrate on getting it in time!

Are you interested in mix suggestions?
Mr Clean

Post by Mr Clean »

JD01 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:41 am That's really good, tight playing. A good reminder to not over-complicate a drum part and concentrate on getting it in time!

Cheers JD.

Mix suggestions aren't really required as it was just for fun. I edited my post as you were typing, I think. I didn't really mix this as such. It was literally just the audio on each video and mixed in the video software. Basic volume up and down until it sounded reasonable.

I think, if I ever attempt something like this again, I'll sync all video to a proper DAW mixed master. This is basically how I would sound Live if I coild do it all at the same time.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Mr Clean wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:46 am
JD01 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:41 am That's really good, tight playing. A good reminder to not over-complicate a drum part and concentrate on getting it in time!

Cheers JD.

Mix suggestions aren't really required as it was just for fun. I edited my post as you were typing, I think. I didn't really mix this as such. It was literally just the audio on each video and mixed in the video software. Basic volume up and down until it sounded reasonable.

I think, if I ever attempt something like this again, I'll sync all video to a proper DAW mixed master. This is basically how I would sound Live if I coild do it all at the same time.
Cool. Most important your playing is tight
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Mr Clean wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:46 am This is basically how I would sound Live if I coild do it all at the same time.
I have often thought that I would love to have a time machine or access to parallel dimensions or whatever so that I could have 3 or 4 copies of myself in my band!
Mr Clean

Post by Mr Clean »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:32 am I have often thought that I would love to have a time machine or access to parallel dimensions or whatever so that I could have 3 or 4 copies of myself in my band!
Yeah, it would be great. It would be much easier arguing with myself all the time that some other nobhead. :lollers2:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

That's good. I am so behind the curve on video that I can't even bring myself to try. You did well.
Rebel Yell
Mr Clean

Post by Mr Clean »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:26 pm That's good. I am so behind the curve on video that I can't even bring myself to try. You did well.
Cheers Greg. :coolstorybro:

I literally installed the video editing thing two days ago. A bit of trial and error. It wasn't too frustrating really as the audio was on the videos. Probably be easier syncing video with audio from a DAW but I was just seeing what could be done.

The free software (OpenShot Video) isn't that great but can clearly to be made to work. I may try something again with better audio. I don't like all the miming/lipsync videos we see around but I suppose something like that would look better than my scruffy room.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Mr Clean wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:39 pm
The free software (OpenShot Video) isn't that great but can clearly to be made to work.
That's the one I have. I've had it for a while. Never tried it. :confused:
Rebel Yell
Mr Clean

Post by Mr Clean »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:49 pm That's the one I have. I've had it for a while. Never tried it. :confused:
Give it a go. I'm sure you could make an awesome video. :coolstorybro:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Mr Clean wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:55 pm

Give it a go. I'm sure you could make an awesome video. :coolstorybro:
It's my final frontier!

I know how much work and skill and equipment goes into making good videos. That's a learning curve I'm just not very interested in.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

COOOL thing.
Good work with the new software.
I enjoyed your playing as well.
While I was there I looked around - love the acoustiquo!
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Nice - always interesting when you first see what someone you've been talking to for years actually looks like...

Video is on my list of things to get better at - I've actually done heaps using Sony Vegas, but the thought of firing that thing up again and remembering how to use it doesn't enthuse me much. I'm sure there are better free programs out now...
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Next video, perhaps don't have the light coming from behind you though. Better if it's shining on your pretty face... :lollers:
Mr Clean

Post by Mr Clean »

Armistice wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:18 pm Next video, perhaps don't have the light coming from behind you though. Better if it's shining on your pretty face... :lollers:
:lollers:

I didn't really notice the light beams until I'd about finished. I've got a 4 light strip thing above pointing different directions which lights the room really well but not good for camera, obviously.

To be fair though, I didn't have a clue what I was doing or why. Lights were the least concern. :lollers2: