Crackling. . .lots of it!

Need a helping hand to make sure you do it right, first time? Got some good advice to pass on, so no-one makes the same mistakes you did? This is your forum.
vomitHatSteve

Re: Crackling. . .lots of it!

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:36 pm
vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:15 pm

Really? I was pretty sure that it is
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pork_rind
Cracklins and Pork Rinds are not exactly the same.
Ah, that was my confusion then. I thought cracklins was just another name for rinds.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Crackling, as we understand it, is the layer of skin and fat underneath the skin, treated and roasted in the oven in a particular way - it's difficult to get it right - I've had one or two goes and the results have been average. These days people even detach the layer of fat and skin and cook it separately, or on top of the actual meat that's being roasted.

I don't actually like crackling that much anyway. Essentially just crunchy fat, skin and lots of salt. But people go nuts over it. Failed crackling is horrible. Good crackling is also great way to break your teeth, and with my teeth, I'm wary of it. I rarely cook pork anyway. Bacon, yum. Ham, yum. Pork, not so much. GF does from time to time, however.

Speaking of teeth. Off to the dentist, again, later this morning. Check up, but I know there's something wrong down on the lower right. :mad3:
rayc

Post by rayc »

Alison wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:26 pm There is a whole lot of crackling going on in my headphones!! I've gone to YouTube videos to try and sort it out but nothing is working. Wondering if maybe @Tadpui can help me out!? I've tried increasing the buffer size as well as anticipative FX processing (as recommended in one video) but that's not helping. I'm hoping there is an easy solution to this!!
What was the result/answer/source/problem?
Cheers
rayc
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I've actually been fighting this recently as well. I think it was triggered by the 22H2 feature update for Win11. I went through everything I could think of over the course of a week or two, and what seems to have fixed it for me was rolling back my graphics card drivers to an older version.

I still get pretty bad crackling while one particular application downloads anything (Steam client), but that's been a long-standing problem on my system. I think I'm crackle free at this point (knock on wood).

What an annoying problem. I hope you got yours sorted as well Alison!
Alison

Post by Alison »

@Tadpui, and @rayc, Since I increased the block size, I haven't had a problem. This seems SO long ago, I can't really remember if I did anything else. So far, so good, knock on wood!
If I knew what I was doing, I'd be dangerous!