Right Here Now

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
TripleM

Right Here Now

Post by TripleM »

I wrote this song as an anniversary present for my wife. The problem for me is I don't like the song much. To me it's just not a good song. But still let me know how you feel about the mix. Thanks.

Mix "1"
<DELETED>

Drums
<DELETED>

"Mix" 2
RHN2.mp3
"Mix" 3
RHN3.mp3
Mix 4
RHN4.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by TripleM on Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:36 pm, edited 8 times in total.
rayc

Re: Right Here Now

Post by rayc »

That riff sounds wrong, as in sort of out of tune but not, against the rhythm guitars and the riff needs some energy..
The song seems pretty good, can really comment on the lyrics.
The drum fills could use a little tidying.
There's a nice chunk of Squeeze in the melody & arrangement.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

You're right - this is not a good song. The timing across the whole song is a total trainwreck. Who drummed this? Sorry not sorry, it's just bad. :frown:

The mix...it's alright I guess. The drums are loud enough but sound kind of flubby. Guitars have a nice jangle pop tone. Everything sits pretty well. It's just the timing....it's so bad it distracts from everything.
Rebel Yell
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

I'm just pulling it. It was bad from the start.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Dang I missed it.
:happytrees:
Alison

Post by Alison »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:00 pm Dang I missed it.
Me too!!
If I knew what I was doing, I'd be dangerous!
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

I'll see if I can salvage it. I suppose it's possible that I can simplify the drum fills and track a better riff I can save it.

The lyrics were sub-par. But the guitars and harmonies sounded nice I thought. It had some nice chord changes.

We'll see what I can do. Otherwise it's flowers and chocolates again for a present.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Not all songs are gems. Some of them just suck despite our best intentions. I know I've written and scrapped a ton of stinkers. Just move on to the next one.
Rebel Yell
Alison

Post by Alison »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:16 am Not all songs are gems. Some of them just suck despite our best intentions. I know I've written and scrapped a ton of stinkers. Just move on to the next one.
I agree with Greg. I certainly have put quite a few in the scrap pile! But, if you really like the music end of things, maybe a collaboration on the lyrics is in order? I don't know but, I do try everything possible before something ends up in the scrap pile!
If I knew what I was doing, I'd be dangerous!
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I think that writing clunkers is part of the process. I don't think that any of us songwriters sit down to write "hits", we sit down to write songs. To express something; an emotion, a feeling, a joke...anything. And sometimes they suck. If we're lucky, every once in a while something cool emerges.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

We gotta be real here though....a big part of why this particular song kind of stunk was because it was performed poorly across the board. It never felt cohesive. It was like three people playing different things at different times. It might be an alright song with better performances.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:57 pm We gotta be real here though....a big part of why this particular song kind of stunk was because it was performed poorly across the board. It never felt cohesive. It was like three people playing different things at different times. It might be an alright song with better performances.
My Reaper "scratch ideas" folder on my computer is full of these too. There are a couple hundred projects that were started too late at night, after too many Sailor and Cokes, that sounded brilliant at the time :D
Manslick

Post by Manslick »

ha been there way too often. I get it 3M. :)
Louisville KY
Manslick

Post by Manslick »

I have been trying to record a cover of a slow Willie Nelson tune.
Not happening.
I don't get it either.
I play to the click.
The hits are close enough to the grid but it sounds like ass.
Louisville KY
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I start recording crap stuff all the time... and then I finish recording crap stuff too! :lollers2:
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

I still don't like this song. But I retracked the rhythm guitar and bass so they lock better with the drums. Mix at the top.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Is it better? Maybe? Marginally. The guitars and bass are slightly better. The flow of the song still makes me uneasy though because the drums are so bad. Those fills are the reason the phrase "drummer falling down the stairs" exists. The drum fills between the sections of this song are a drummer falling down the stairs. I don't know who or what drummed this song, but find something else if you want it to ever sound good. No song will ever sound good with bad drums.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:21 am Is it better? Maybe? Marginally. The guitars and bass are slightly better. The flow of the song still makes me uneasy though because the drums are so bad. Those fills are the reason the phrase "drummer falling down the stairs" exists. The drum fills between the sections of this song are a drummer falling down the stairs. I don't know who or what drummed this song, but find something else if you want it to ever sound good. No song will ever sound good with bad drums.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I actually like the song .... it could be pretty cool IMO ...... but the drums are really bad ...... sorry ..... I hope you're not playing them .... not wanting to insult ..,.... but if so, you need a drum program or practice
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

The drums are programed. So everything is on beat. So I think what you don't like are the fills. They're pretty elaborate. I could back them down to something more reserved (if that's the right word). I'll spend a little time and do that.

Thanks @Greg_L and @Lt. Bob
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Can you post just the drum track? I really wanna hear what those drums are doing.
Rebel Yell