BASS split to amp & DI.

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
rayc

BASS split to amp & DI.

Post by rayc »

I bought a cheap A/B & Y Splitter for bass tracking.
I've done it with Y cables and faffing about but decided, for best tone, to try a dedicated tool.
My bass is playing up again - lots of high end noise so I put it through an EQ pedal on the way to the splitter to quieten things a little as well as using ReaFir ITB.
The sample starts with both passive DI & 57 mic'd amp blended at 1:1.
I switch between the two sources, use tone rolled all forward & all back, as well as blending.
I used my Marshall amp and one of the speakers in my 4x12.
Interestingly the amp has the bright sound whilst being fuller in the bottom end. Something to do with the smaller speaker I suppose.
BASS SPLIT tracking done.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Re: BASS split to amp & DI.

Post by Greg_L »

Nice and plucky.

I'm confused though....are you using a DI box? Or do you mean DI as in "straight into the interface"? Because with an actual DI box you don't need an ABY splitter.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Bass into splitter/Y then one line to the amp n mic and the other to the DI and the interface.
The DI is so I can go into the interface balanced - just a thing I have to do to reduce the EMF in this place.
Everything but mics go through a passive or active DI...it helps a little.
The very 1st bit is both, then DI then mic. I didn't list what n when so it'd be a blind test.
I'm going to use the set up on a bass cab today.
Cheers
rayc
Farview

Post by Farview »

Doesn't your DI have a 1/4 through to run to the Amp? That would make the a/b/y switch unessesary.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Farview wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:16 am Doesn't your DI have a 1/4 through to run to the Amp? That would make the a/b/y switch unessesary.
That's what I was asking but turns out he's not using a DI box. He's DI'ing straight into an interface from the splitter.
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Yeah, I'm struggling to work out exactly what devices are where in the signal chain here too.

You do mention an active DI which presumably is a an actual box. In which case, like @Greg_L and @Farview are saying, why the splitter, as the box would have a direct 1/4 out, you'd think?

Bass -> DI box -> (Output1) amp & (Output2) interface

Haven't used a DI forever but I think that's how it goes. Not even sure where mine is...

Post a picture, perhaps?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Oh wait, you are using a DI? DI box to DI interface? :confused:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

If its noise caused by your bass playing up, why not just fix your bass?

Also, doesn't your Behringer BDI just act as a passive DI box when the pedal is turned off?
rayc

Post by rayc »

The BDI, not switched on, is the passive DI I'm using. The splitter is to separate thing as there's a lot of electromagnet & radio freq interference in the room. I'd tried the split through the BDI but it was a proble. With the splitter things are a little quieter.
Yes, I need to fix the bass but his was a test of the splitter process knowing the bass is making noise is an issue that needs fixing but isn't an issue in terms of testing the splitter. The results, aside from the noisy bass, are rather better than splitting via the BDI.
Cheers
rayc