The Song That, (potentially), Delobed Bubba

The Rebels Drive-In Movie theater. A forum to share your videos, and also a place to get help with making videos from our upstanding rebel experts.
rayc

The Song That, (potentially), Delobed Bubba

Post by rayc »

Greg's lead really sparked this one up and the extra time to supply some footage did the same for the video.
Last edited by rayc on Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
rayc
Lt. Bob

Re: The Song That Delobed Bubba

Post by Lt. Bob »

rayc wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:33 pm Greg's lead really sparked this one up and the extra time to supply some footage did the same for the video.
that's just so freakin' cool ..... music's great of course but the vid is awesome

Also I liked the various treatments you gave gregs image ... the black with white lines being especially cool.

Greg ...... did you video it while you were cutting the track or did you just play along and git-synch it?
Last edited by Lt. Bob on Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Catching flies there ray?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:34 pm

Greg ...... did you video it while you were cutting the track or did you just play along and git-synch it?
Nah it was a mime. I tracked it well before I made any video.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Re: The Song That, (potentially), Delobed Bubba

Post by Greg_L »

I still don't understand what any of this has to do with Bubba though.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:20 am I still don't understand what any of this has to do with Bubba though.
Yeah, I was trying to figure that out too. Probably it came up in the mix thread?

As to the video, this probably isn't my favorite of yours, Ray. It comes off as busy to me.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:20 am I still don't understand what any of this has to do with Bubba though.
Here's Bob's comment in the mix thread...
"User avatar
Bubba
Re: HAPPY SONG featuring GREG
Post by Bubba » 14 Jan 2023, 09:20
I experienced an overwhelming urge to cut my own ears off and stick them in a blender to forestall any attempts at their reconstruction.
Haggard Musician :mad:"
Cheers
rayc
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

you guys are too cute.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:25 pm
Here's Bob's comment in the mix thread...
"User avatar
Bubba
Re: HAPPY SONG featuring GREG
Post by Bubba » 14 Jan 2023, 09:20
I experienced an overwhelming urge to cut my own ears off and stick them in a blender to forestall any attempts at their reconstruction.
Haggard Musician :mad:"
So what does that even mean? He doesn't like it? Woopdy fucking doo. :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:22 pm So what does that even mean? He doesn't like it? Woopdy fucking doo. :lollers2:
It's basically Bob/Bubba making it clear that he'll not say/write anything positive about my stuff.
It's not an aspersion directly cast upon anyone connected with my stuff - just my stuff.
Bob found a reason to be aggrieved and holds a grudge.
It's no big deal, he's been doing similar or worse for a couple of years now. My key response is to be nice but on this occasion I thought it was hilarious and worth riffing on.
Cheers
rayc
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

rayc wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:15 pm
Greg_L wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:22 pm So what does that even mean? He doesn't like it? Woopdy fucking doo. :lollers2:
It's basically Bob/Bubba making it clear that he'll not say/write anything positive about my stuff.
It's not an aspersion directly cast upon anyone connected with my stuff - just my stuff.
It's no big deal, he's been doing similar or worse for a couple of years now. My key response is to be nice but on this occasion I thought it was hilarious and worth riffing on.
he did seem to be becoming an angry old guy there at the end
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Why though? I know for certain that he and I did parts for one of your songs. Why all of the sudden he doesn't like your music anymore? It makes no sense. And it makes even less sense to be a cunt about it.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:05 am
Why though? I know for certain that he and I did parts for one of your songs. Why all of the sudden he doesn't like your music anymore? It makes no sense. And it makes even less sense to be a cunt about it.
some personal shit I imagine ..... I'm gonna say one guy took umbrage over something the other guy said or did or thought or was and then the other guy responded in kind and here we are ....... :lollers:

Part-time musicians take this shit so seriously ......... :lollers2:

I'm gonna tell ya'll ..... I hear a LOT of great stuff right here on this site.
And I have big ears and I know my shit. ..... all the nitpicking is just because as recordists we hear things that matter to us and we shout them out because if we had the knobs in front of us, that's what we'd change.
But the fact is there's simply no 'right' mix ..... a song can be mixed/played dozens of different ways , all of which sound good.

I've been recording and listening for so long that I'm listening to the musical content without much concern for the mix and I'm saying there's great stuff coming out of all of ya'll and this is just another cool piece of music and it's a shame bubba refuses to consider that possibility.
Isn't that what it's really all about? Making cool music?
Mostly I find it sad when musicians aren't able to enjoy what they do ...... I truly don't get it.

Hell ....... I have to do it and I enjoy every stupid 'play Buffett for the tourist' gig I do. 4 hours of practice ....... yay! I can get better. :smiles:

You guys get to do it just for fun ... you're blessed IMO ......... so that being pissy over music is just something that doesn't compute to me ...... a complete waste of energy.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Bob told me, not long before he became really cranky & I took a sabbatical from the forum for two months to escape, that I write okay songs but he doesn't like the way I record & mix.
Now, vaguely annually, he drops by and blasts me.
He helped me quite a bit which is why I don't respond to his negativity in kind.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I'd hazard a guess that it's ray's vocals and treatment of said vocals that drives Bubba nuts.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Serious question @rayc - the music track you're putting against these videos - is it rendered to 44.1k or 48k?

Rendering at 44.1kHz as we do for WAVs can cause drift against video, whereas rendering at 48kHz will give you a better result (apparently - not the expert!). Something to do with frame rates in video recording being 12 fps, 24fps etc, which more accurately works with 48k than 44.1k.

I remember this theory from when I was last doing videos.

I know very little about this but I have read it... I notice your syncing of vocals does drift from time to time... :wink:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:40 am Bob told me, not long before he became really cranky & I took a sabbatical from the forum for two months to escape, that I write okay songs but he doesn't like the way I record & mix.
He helped me quite a bit which is why I don't respond to his negativity in kind.
Wow, okay. That's weird that he'd target you like that and no one else. He's entitled to an opinion of course, but fuck him. Keep on keeping on, Ray. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:28 am
rayc wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:40 am Bob told me, not long before he became really cranky & I took a sabbatical from the forum for two months to escape, that I write okay songs but he doesn't like the way I record & mix.
Wow, okay. That's weird that he'd target you like that and no one else. He's entitled to an opinion of course, but fuck him. Keep on keeping on, Ray. :coolstorybro:
I can see not liking someone's mix choices but to get prickish over it makes no sense.

My song ..... I'll mix it like I want. I'll take advice and if it jives with what I want I'll use it and otherwise ignor it.

Isn't that what everyone does?
I just don't get the anger thing
rayc

Post by rayc »

Armistice wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:37 am Serious question @rayc - the music track you're putting against these videos - is it rendered to 44.1k or 48k?
Rendering at 44.1kHz as we do for WAVs can cause drift against video, whereas rendering at 48kHz will give you a better result (apparently - not the expert!). Something to do with frame rates in video recording being 12 fps, 24fps etc, which more accurately works with 48k than 44.1k.
I remember this theory from when I was last doing videos.
I know very little about this but I have read it... I notice your syncing of vocals does drift from time to time... :wink:
I didn't bother with the Khz thing though I should've.
The synching is all my lips. I did the three vids of me in an half hour on an impulse so wasn't well prepared. In one spot I was miming the backing vocal becasue that's what my brain said and in another I was doing it again but there was no backing vocal. AND, more a lesson for all, clicking around to find an aspect ratio to accommodate the variety of film clips in different formats etc. does move things in different ways...I probably left a couple of bit incompletely tweaked after everything moved on one occasion.
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

Armistice wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:33 am I'd hazard a guess that it's ray's vocals and treatment of said vocals that drives Bubba nuts.
YEP.
That's one definite issue but the general bad mix bad tracking came up in conversation around when I was doing a song about Ian Curtis.
Not how I treat other vocals, just mine.
Cheers
rayc