The Song That, (potentially), Delobed Bubba

The Rebels Drive-In Movie theater. A forum to share your videos, and also a place to get help with making videos from our upstanding rebel experts.
Bubba

Re: The Song That, (potentially), Delobed Bubba

Post by Bubba »

On this occasion, it was the autotune. Nothing more, nothing less.

The reason I bear a grudge is because a year or so ago, I spent about a month behind the scenes, off-forum, really REALLY actively trying to help Ray with his mixing. He sent me his mixing template to look at, the one that was the starting point for all of his stuff. Trust me when I tell you that this template was the biggest clusterfuck I have ever seen in my life. Every track had about twenty useless effects on it, there were multiple sends between tracks that the supercomputers at MIT couldn't make sense of and my head almost exploded. I put many hours, literally days into helping him in this period and the very next mix he turned out was just as muffled, turgid and over-effected as any he has done previously. It was like a complete kick in the bollocks and I washed my hands of it. I realised at that point that literally nothing I had tried to do had worked. I had wasted a month of my life.
Haggard Musician :mad:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lol ok then I guess that's that. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

I really don't have a lot of option regarding vocal tuning. My singing has improved quite a bit but not enough. The best option is for someone who can sing to do so but that's only occasionally available.
Mind you there's almost no vocal tuning on C.R.T. I managed to work within my limits for the most part.

That was an occasionally amusing but quite intense episode back in June 2020.
You did a great job resurrecting/comping the vocal Budda, but the intention, from my perspective, was always to have the song as druggy as possible given it's lyrical narrative so there were always going to be lots of FX on everything.
The difference between you running the project faster than intended was also marked. Things sounded clearer at that speed and the key change too.

I think the final song sounds just like I wanted it to & you helped me get to that - thanks.

Yep, my template was full of everything I might possibly use or contemplate. My current template still has a couple of your FX chains intact as options along the way too.

You might notice though that things that happen behind the scene/off forum need not be regurgitated to disparage either participant. You vented your spleen, ruthlessly, on line for quite some time. So much so that I took a sabbatical from the forum for a couple of months. I do, however, take a lot of good from our interaction and thank you for it.
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

rayc wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:10 pm I really don't have a lot of option regarding vocal tuning. My singing has improved quite a bit but not enough. The best option is for someone who can sing to do so but that's only occasionally available.
Honestly, I think you over-state this idea. Your voice is fine. I generally agree with bubba that your real lean into tuning vocals in the last few years isn't an improvement.

That said, they're your songs, so if that's what you want, it's not my place to tell you it's wrong.
I'm sure my goofy-ass mixes contain a lot of habits that grate on folks around here's nerves!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:10 pm
You might notice though that things that happen behind the scene/off forum need not be regurgitated to disparage either participant. You vented your spleen, ruthlessly, on line for quite some time. So much so that I took a sabbatical from the forum for a couple of months. I do, however, take a lot of good from our interaction and thank you for it.
Ray don't worry about this stuff. So one guy has a problem with your songs and/or mixes. This shit isn't life or death. All of this, all of it, is subjective nonsense. Just keep on plugging away.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

this is supposed to be fun for you guys.
There's literally ONE person here that earns his entire income from music and that's me. Heck ..... same is true at the other boards , I'm the only full-timer.
So why does this kinda thing even happen?

I get that bubba felt like he wasted a buncha time but 1. he's not the arbiter of what's good ..... he's just one opinion.
And 2. if he's decided ray is unteachable then fine ...... don't waste anymore time ..... but to get angry about it makes no sense and to cut yourself off from this community solely because someone didn't mix the way you told them to makes even less sense since none of us were involved.
I miss having bubba around and it's for a silly overreaction.

I'll say it again ....... part-timers take this shit way too seriously ..... you guys are supposed to be having fun with this ..... it's not your livelihood ....... your house payment doesn't depend on you getting the mix jus right.
Hell .... mine does and I get way less worked up about it than ya'll seem to.

Maybe in some ways I'm blessed to be a pro player ... especially at my age ..... but as far as having fun with it goes amateurs have it so much better.
Absolutely nothing depends on what you produce so you are free to create as you wish.
Have fun and quit getting mad at each other over it.
Alison

Post by Alison »

This is great, Ray. I always enjoy your videos! And you both look so. . .happy :lollers2:
If I knew what I was doing, I'd be dangerous!
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:11 pm to cut yourself off from this community solely because someone didn't mix the way you told them to makes even less sense since none of us were involved.
Hi Lt.

I really didn't cut myself off from this community due to a silly spat with Ray. My mental health has been shit for years now, and it's more to do with that than anything else. I'll try to come back, but my head's pretty fucked these days.
Haggard Musician :mad:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Bubba wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:51 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:11 pm to cut yourself off from this community solely because someone didn't mix the way you told them to makes even less sense since none of us were involved.
Hi Lt.

I really didn't cut myself off from this community due to a silly spat with Ray. My mental health has been shit for years now, and it's more to do with that than anything else. I'll try to come back, but my head's pretty fucked these days.
I'm really sorry to hear that ........ that's a difficult thing to have to deal with.

I won't waste your time with the usual platitudes but I do miss ya' and would love to see you around.
Maybe just to chat and stay away from music.
For that matter, if you wanted to be quieter about it just PM me.
I'll always have time for ya'.

Take care of yourself man.