New Room Layout

DIY Studio Stuff
JD01

New Room Layout

Post by JD01 »

OK, getting the plans made up for my next house extension soon and will be building my new studio space into the design.
There's not a lot of flexibility in the floor area that I have to work with. I'm pretty sure that the room will be 3.6m (ish) in length, which is a lot more than what I have now. My hunch is that it will be about 2.5m in width and that will also be a lot more than what I have now - depends how far out towards the edge of the roof we go.

There's probably scope to move the door on to either the bottom wall or the side-wall or I could even have the door at 45 deg across that corner.
Despite the wonky roof, I'm assuming my best location for a desk would be against the chimney end - in fact I'd probably just build a desk myself that will fit around the chimney and include shelving units... or I may just put a false wall across the whole of the chimney with associated sound treatment behind it as that wall adjoins the neighbours attic space.

Or, given the ceiling angle, would it be better if I put my desk on the right hand wall so the monitors would be facing the sloping wall?

I'll build bespoke treatment based on where things end up, using wooden frames, sack-cloth and insulation for the walls and ceilings... what some of the corners will be tricky - but I'll work it out. I might do what Shan did and use old band t-shirts/flags in the frames instead of boring sack-cloth.

Basically, where would you stick your desk, monitors, piano, guitar hooks etc... I think its gonna be too tight to get drums in there - maybe an e-kit.
At this point we're just getting the initial plans made up so I have a bit of scope for adjusting things and planning ahead.
Potential Room Layouts.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
muttley

Re: New Room Layout

Post by muttley »

First thing would be hand the door the opposite way so it opens to the nearest wall. Better still if possible have open out if it is to another space. I assume there is no fenestration other than the roof lites?

My experience of workshop layout generally is that its best to have the door opening in the shorter wall which leaves longer spans for working . Also centre islands provide better use of space than upto wall but you may not have space for that.
JD01

Re: New Room Layout

Post by JD01 »

muttley wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:49 pm First thing would be hand the door the opposite way so it opens to the nearest wall. Better still if possible have open out if it is to another space. I assume there is no fenestration other than the roof lites?

My experience of workshop layout generally is that its best to have the door opening in the shorter wall which leaves longer spans for working . Also centre islands provide better use of space than upto wall but you may not have space for that.
Moving the hinges/light switches is easy at this stage provided that I know to stick it on the plans.
Yeah - It'll be just a pair of Veluxes in the roof. While I like my view out of my current office, sitting facing a window which gets a lot of sun is also annoying as a) I can't easily sound treat the surface right in front of me b) I have the curtain closed most of the time 'cos its too bright.