When you're doing covers

General recording topics.
musicturtle

Re: When you're doing covers

Post by musicturtle »

Armistice wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:21 pm It's often the sort of thing where the original chord, note, phrase, whatever isn't actually hard, or any harder to play than what the guitarist (and it's almost always the guitarist) is playing, he's just unaware it's incorrect.
You got me on this I think with the Jim Croce song "I Got a Name"

I think I quickly worked it out mostly from memory and by ear, and played a B minor instead of a B7 in the chorus.

I already posted the video, so I didn't go back and fix it, but every time I have listened to it since you pointed it out I can't unhear it :headwall:

Thanks Armi :lollers:
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

@JD01 as you all know, I do a good number of covers.

And yes, it's interesting to find all the little nuggets.

I think the one that got me most was "I'm Alright" from Kenny Loggins and Caddyshack. Just a lot going on in that song that I never thought about while singing it in my head before I decided to record it.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

My philosophy on covers is that every song has a few key hooks that you need to get right; everything else is just filler.

If you're playing "Day Tripper" and you don't do the bass/guitar riff, the audience is going to leave unhappy. But if you can nail those core hooks, then you can do pretty much whatever you want for the rest of the song.

This is why I'm currently arguing with the keyboardist/misc player of my 90s band. He wants to start using tracks to fill in the bits and bobs that we aren't able to do as a 5 piece. And I think that no one is going to notice them not being there.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:07 pm My philosophy on covers is that every song has a few key hooks that you need to get right; everything else is just filler.
That ^^^

That's all there is to it. It's really very simple.
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

I think that everybody knows which side of the divide I sit on. :D

I occasionally do something completely different with a song - the one that springs to mind is my version of Motorhead's Iron Fist. But I wasn't interested in playing that "right".

Often when I do a cover, it's because I worship the song and to do something different with it just isn't in me.
Haggard Musician :mad: