Human (cover) first Reaper effort

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
Alison

Human (cover) first Reaper effort

Post by Alison »

So, yeah there are several problems with this but, I figured I might as well start here!

For one thing. . .the pick clicking on the guitar on the right. . .I had to set the mics pretty close to my guitar to get a signal and turn the channels up to be able to hear it through my headphones. Really not sure what that is all about. I did, however, cure the latency problem. To record the cello lines, I took one side of my headphones off so I could hear it. I think they came out alright.

Did my best with EZ Drummer but couldn't really figure out much more.

There are some things that I am pleased about (like, that this came together at all!!).

The first time I tried to render this, I damn near lost all the tracks. Every time I'd close Reaper and bring it back up, the tracks would be missing. After a lot of cursing, swearing, and screwing around, I found them again but haven't closed Reaper again since!

Anyway, I'll probably re-track the right-side guitar after getting a few suggestions.
It's been a trip!
Human.mp3
Not too sure this is much different from the first one but, I did make a few changes according to the suggestions below (couldn't do anything with that bass note though).
Human 2.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Alison on Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I knew what I was doing, I'd be dangerous!
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: Human (cover) first Reaper effort

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Nothing at really wrong with this @Alison. I want to say that the acustic on the left take on a different flavor scattered all thru ought the song. I want to say maybe it could be because of different takes / punches or more likely easing up or digging into different parts of the song as it ebbs and flows?

Your drums sound very mono up the middle and likely could use some stereo spread tweaks to get it to take up a little more room with all your strings and stuff. They are a little buried. Not sure if you have been able to get together with JD yet to do a crash course but that would likely help.

Your vocals are amazing. performance and capture. Really good.
:happytrees:
rayc

Post by rayc »

There's an option, when setting up a project and subsequently when saving the project as an update with an updated name to select copy all media into project folder.
This song sounds fine to me. The clicky guitar is on the left in my headphones.
You might find setting up a compressor with a fast heavy attack addresses it OR you could get really fancy and use a "transient transformer" but I don't know how to deal with those ...or you could add a narrow EQ notch where the click stands out most
4.01 the cello bass note goes a bit farty feral.
SONG IS COOL.
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Alison wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:00 pm The first time I tried to render this, I damn near lost all the tracks. Every time I'd close Reaper and bring it back up, the tracks would be missing. After a lot of cursing, swearing, and screwing around, I found them again but haven't closed Reaper again since!
This has bitten me before too.

Ray's recommendation is good. File > Save As... Then click the Move media into project folder or Copy media into project folder checkbox

The song sounds pretty good to me.

The only nit that really stood out is that the left acoustic provides a consistent percussive rhythm that is not balanced out on the right. This gives the two ears very different and somewhat mis-matched feelings to me.
Alison

Post by Alison »

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I was out of town, so I'm just now getting to this. The tips on saving are great, thank you. Made a few changes to this but I've started a new project since chatting with JD and will have something new up soon. I'm having trouble with working in midi with EZ Drummer. . . going to pose that question in the other forum.

I have put a new mix in the OP!
If I knew what I was doing, I'd be dangerous!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Only just listened to this. Sounds good, great vocals/arrangement as always.
Sounds to me like one guitar is hard panned left and one is pretty central - would be nicer if the one that is currently central was panned right.