STUDIO SPACE - MOVE OR STAY PUT?

DIY Studio Stuff
rayc

STUDIO SPACE - MOVE OR STAY PUT?

Post by rayc »

Renovations are DONE!
I have the option of moving into a different, larger, space to use for recording & music generally.
It's rather bigger though has some complications.
It's under the living room but has been sound damped, (double layer of dense insulation + existing single layer of standard with dual layer of extra thick plasterboard/gyprock as the ceiling), to reduce noise transfer to & from though the door will need some sort of treatment. There are also sliding glass doors to a covered veranda & front yard at the opposite end to the door & wardrobe.
There's part of a stair well, though enclosed and treated, in the corner.
I can see myself setting up one of my decent stereos at the glass end and, possibly the mixing desk under the windows.
The complication of the existing is that it's completely untreated and below the bedroom..Kim often naps in the arvo and also means headphones only at night.
The complication for the proposed is that it's below the living room and, naturally, there's some bleed both ways.

Thoughts, ideas & suggestions readily accepted.
Existing room versus proposed
existing versus new..JPG
Proposed
studio Bb.jpg
facing map S.JPG
facing map N.JPG
facing map E.JPG
facing map W.JPG
robe.JPG
stairs.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Re: STUDIO SPACE - MOVE OR STAY PUT?

Post by JD01 »

I'd move to the bigger room and get some nice heavy curtains for the door.

I'd just love a room like that, I'd finally be able to easily set some drums up.

Moving just gives you a good excuse to re-organise everything too and get stuff set up in a more convenient way... which is always a pain to get around to when you're already working in a space.
Last edited by JD01 on Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

I second moving to the bigger room. How bad is the bleed dB wise? Can you play music downstairs and then head upstairs and use a dB meter (phone apps are pretty darn accurate)?
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
rayc

Post by rayc »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:33 am I second moving to the bigger room. How bad is the bleed dB wise? Can you play music downstairs and then head upstairs and use a dB meter (phone apps are pretty darn accurate)?
If there's nothing happening upstairs then a CD played downstairs is audible though more through the closed door & up the stairwell than through the floor/ceiling.
A conversation upstairs can be heard downstairs and TV comes through as mostly low notes so there's bleed but it's better than in the smaller room.
Just how loud? Well, I have a dB meter but I can tell that a cranked amp will be a problem - as it was before and that stomping around upstairs will also be something to work around. A close mic'd amp won't be a problem to record either way.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I think you need to be in the room with the spangly cupboard doors, whichever that one is. :biggrin:
rayc

Post by rayc »

Armistice wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:16 am I think you need to be in the room with the spangly cupboard doors, whichever that one is. :biggrin:
That's my wife & sister-in-law's "feng shui" treatment...breaks up reflections...they also have it one the glass doors etc for privacy before they put up curtains. Weird stuff that sticks to the glass via static electricity.
"Spangly"...star banner.
I'll have to find a way to deal with that reflective surface too.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I guess you have the opportunity to turn it into your own personal space for things other than just recording, so on that basis, the larger space would be better. And you won't have to interfere with the afternoon nap routine. I assume you're not about to take up drumming, but a nice couch and your stereo would be a good chill place for you.

There's probably a lot more you can do to optimise it all for recording - just have to think about where it is you put things. I'd be getting as far away from the door as possible.

The aspect comes into play as well - those doors opening to the outside could either be a blessing or a curse, depending upon which way they're pointing. And you'll need to integrate that with when you're most likely to record - light/heat etc. I'm considering moving my studio room into the next room along, now I've been there for 18 months - It is identically sized, with more light, but less direct sun, and less bleed out to neighbours. Probably I won't as I'm not sure I could even get the couch out, but these decisions are about a lot more than just the size, as you know.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I'm siding with the other fellas: definitely claim that bigger room!

Oh man, being in a basement room myself, I feel ya on the footfall noise from above. My wife, while not a heavy person, has the heaviest footfall of any human I've ever known. And she has a love for boots. Combine the two and it's like a triathlon of bowling, clog dancing, and sumo wrestling going on right above my head in the kitchen. I have to wait until any kitchen-related activities are complete before hitting the record button.

I know it's tough to represent a room with photos, so I can't quite tell if those high windows are on a long wall or short wall. If they're along a short wall, I'd think that'd be a slam dunk place to put your desk. But looking at the blueprint, those might be on a long wall. Even then, I'm guessing that'd still be the best logistical place for the desk since you probably don't want to be blocking the sliding doors or the closet door or anything.

What a fun dilemma though, getting a choice of rooms! I'm starting to feel a little cramped in my room since I moved in another desk for work. Amps, pedals, the whole recording setup, plus lights and cameras and stands and cables...I'm all for claiming the biggest space you can get!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah, it seems like the ideal desk position is under the windows on the long wall... which I suppose is a compromise. But, better than blocking off the sliding door!
Alison

Post by Alison »

I'd definitely take the bigger space! We just moved and my new music room is extremely small, something that is a bit disappointing but it is finally my own space, so I'm not complaining! My room is above the garage which has the washer and dryer, if they are on and II try to record, I can hear them in my headphones. There are advantages and disadvantages in every situation!
If I knew what I was doing, I'd be dangerous!
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Alison wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:13 am I'd definitely take the bigger space! We just moved and my new music room is extremely small, something that is a bit disappointing but it is finally my own space, so I'm not complaining! My room is above the garage which has the washer and dryer, if they are on and II try to record, I can hear them in my headphones. There are advantages and disadvantages in every situation!
I’ve always noticed that when tracking I can hear things that don’t make it in (perceptibly) in the final recording.

Things like roommate showering, tv in the other room.

But if I ever have a client over, and I’ve only had a little more than a few, it’s usually when no one else is in the house.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
rayc

Post by rayc »

Excuse the guitar rug - another gift from the wife.
It's odd, I'm not a guitar fetishist but I think it's an easy gift option. I have an almost matching wallet that I hate to take out of my pocket BUT gifts must be seen to be used.
door in.JPG
I moved to the bigger room downstairs.
No art/posters etc. on the walls yet as I'll need to live with the placement for a bit & then will add stuff.
Just in.JPG
looking out.JPG
Sister -in-law's car. Won't be there in future. Out side is a large under balcony area, lawn, trees & no over the road neighbours.
busy side.JPG
more busy side.JPG
Spangly end to hand Green Screen.JPG
I'll put up a curtain rail to hang the Green Screen and disguise the spangle.
Some guitars.JPG
instruments.JPG
Potter cupboard.JPG
Acoustic instruments are in the Potter Cupboard. Also a bag of insulation to make a couple of traps someday.
sound treatment.JPG
Opposite the desk...diffuses fairly well.
bass still waiting.JPG
bass still waiting.JPG
I've done a little mixing so far and the room isn't too bad.
I've a stereo down the end and a comfy chair to pop into the sweet spot. Yet to be set up is a surround sound system so I can listen to ancient quad recordings. Yes, those are Bose 401 speakers from the early 90s. Not perfect by any means, a gift from the wife, but they have a BIG sound and with the direct/reflect thingo & placement I can get a stereo image well enough.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
rayc
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Smeagol looks very happy in his new cave :D

Heck yeah @rayc it looks like you've got room to spread out and be comfortable in that room. I love it.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Screenshot 2023-03-24 091159.jpg
My fault, I assume... :lollers:

Without having seen the wallet, I think you need to lose it... somehow.

I have a high level of paranoia about visible displays of anything to do with music/instruments in public. You never know which junkie is looking around for stuff to steal, and there are a few of them in the larger centres near us both.

Looks like you've got everything in there OK - and yes, the rug... :lollers: I've long banned musical gifts unless I first provide a brand/model/colour and preferably buy it myself. :biggrin:

We'll look forward to a new era of creativity. Any thoughts of assembling all this various stuff you've been doing into an album?
rayc

Post by rayc »

Armistice wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:47 pm Screenshot 2023-03-24 091159.jpg
My fault, I assume... :lollers:
YES, I've read ALL of his books subsequent to your recco, other than the newest one which is only available on pre-order.
I enjoyed the books - easy to read & funny in sly ways.
all.jpg
Bedlam doesn't belong -it's by Chris Masuak formerly of Radio Birdman - but the others in the snap are ALL YOUR FAULT!
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

That's an excellent space ray. I'd love a spot like that, seems like you have plenty of space to enjoy working on music in there. I agree with Armi... the rug is pretty tragic! But like Armi, no one would but me a musical gift unless it was something I specifically requested.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

The rug doesn't bother me. That desk chair looks painful though. If it's so bad you need a giant throw pillow to make it tolerable, just get a new chair.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:07 am That desk chair looks painful though.
It is very uncomfortable. I have a decent computer/office chair upstairs I'll be bringing down. I also have to get a chair mat as the carpet is too deep for wheels to roll.
My wife bought me a drum stoolish chair a few years back...it has a well cushioned bike seat thing on top...even more uncomfortable.
Cheers
rayc
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Very nice Ray.

Great music room.