Instrument Identification

Keyboards? Kazoos? Dulcimers? Alphorns? Aeolian harp? Here's the place to chat about your favourite instrument
JD01

Instrument Identification

Post by JD01 »

Can you have a quick listen and tell me what you think this is? Sounds like a harpsichord or something slightly to the left and really low in the mix.
What you think it is? Despite just basically being a weird noise it actually fills out the sound quite a lot.
Armistice

Re: Instrument Identification

Post by Armistice »

Hard to tell. I can hear it but not enough to identify it.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

It could be just another guitar that's got a bright attack. But what came to mind first was a Clavinet:

*edit* looks like it was a clavinet
https://www.kerrang.com/the-haunting-traumatic-story-of-soundgardens-superunknown wrote: Fresh Tendrils was another Matt composition (made even more atypical by including clavinet)
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Tadpui wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:01 pm It could be just another guitar that's got a bright attack. But what came to mind first was a Clavinet:

*edit* looks like it was a clavinet
https://www.kerrang.com/the-haunting-traumatic-story-of-soundgardens-superunknown wrote: Fresh Tendrils was another Matt composition (made even more atypical by including clavinet)
That's what I was thinking too, but I couldn't remember the name of the damn thing...

First I thought clavichord and I looked that up and no, that's not it. Then I went to clavicle, which I think is your collar bone. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Clavinet! That's it... :lollers:
rayc

Post by rayc »

Clav as used by Little Stevie Wonder on Superstitious.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Ah.. was written by matt Cameron... the drummer... no wonder the drum part is giving me an aneurysm.

No idea how I'm gonna fake a clavinet sound.. I'll try s harpsichord low in the mix.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

JD01 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:11 am Ah.. was written by matt Cameron... the drummer... no wonder the drum part is giving me an aneurysm.

No idea how I'm gonna fake a clavinet sound.. I'll try s harpsichord low in the mix.
I haven't checked, but I've possibly got one with Pianoteq somewhere, so if you do a MIDI file I can run it through that output something.

I'll have a look in the morning and see what's there.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:39 am
JD01 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:11 am Ah.. was written by matt Cameron... the drummer... no wonder the drum part is giving me an aneurysm.

I haven't checked, but I've possibly got one with Pianoteq somewhere, so if you do a MIDI file I can run it through that output something.

I'll have a look in the morning and see what's there.
I haven't worked out how to play it yet. Probably just follows the guitar though.