Allen Key size

Swapping out speakers in cab -OR- putting a hammer though your Line6 Spider? Tell us about it.
JD01

Allen Key size

Post by JD01 »

Anyone know what size the allen keys tend to be for little things like bridge saddle adjusters. Working on some covers at the moment and I really want to sort my bass out as I have some 12th fret stuff to play so there's gonna be plenty of intonation and saddle adjustment to get this dead right.
Armistice

Re: Allen Key size

Post by Armistice »

JD01 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:30 am Anyone know what size the allen keys tend to be for little things like bridge saddle adjusters. Working on some covers at the moment and I really want to sort my bass out as I have some 12th fret stuff to play so there's gonna be plenty of intonation and saddle adjustment to get this dead right.
I have some in my kit, but I couldn't tell you what size they are, but they at least seem to be a standard size. Given the origin of most guitars is US, they're probably an imperial rather than metric one.

Damn Deusenberg gives you at least 4 different size Allen keys for different bits of it.

I put up a dozen new door knobs and the bathroom renos meant many new fittings, all of which are attached using the same size Allen key. I have about 50 of the damn things. Too big for bridge saddles, though. :frown:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:08 am
JD01 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:30 am Anyone know what size the allen keys tend to be for little things like bridge saddle adjusters. Working on some covers at the moment and I really want to sort my bass out as I have some 12th fret stuff to play so there's gonna be plenty of intonation and saddle adjustment to get this dead right.
I have some in my kit, but I couldn't tell you what size they are, but they at least seem to be a standard size. Given the origin of most guitars is US, they're probably an imperial rather than metric one.

Damn Deusenberg gives you at least 4 different size Allen keys for different bits of it.

I put up a dozen new door knobs and the bathroom renos meant many new fittings, all of which are attached using the same size Allen key. I have about 50 of the damn things. Too big for bridge saddles, though. :frown:
My mrs is wandering into town to buy pasties for lunch. There's a cheapo hardware shop there, she can probably pick up a set for a couple of quid, I make it clear I need a very small one for the saddles - I don't know where they've gone, they've just been gradually lost over the years. I used to have a set with my Ibanez. If she finds a bunch that fit, I'll remove them all from the set and stick them in my box of guitar nick nacks.
Manslick

Post by Manslick »

I just took my strat to the local family owned music store and we went through a great big jar of wrenches until we found 1 tiny enough to fit
Louisville KY
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

For the price of an all inclusive set of metric and imperial Allen keys just get that and trial and error. Based on what i have seen of your postal system if you ordered it right now you'd have it in about 11 minutes or so. :lollers2: :lollers2:

While trial and erring don't get too aggressive. if you get the "one size down from the one you need" you risk spinning it in the hole and stripping it then you'll be i na bit of pickle. Allen keys have a "perfect fit" feel to it.

One you figure out all the sizes jot it down on like an old string envelope and keep it in the applicable guitars case.
:happytrees:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

http://www.sydneyguitarsetups.com/00185 ... -australia

This states a specific size... although 0.05 of a what? .... inch? See previous comment about American guitars...
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

You're going to love Google when it gets to Wales... :lollers:
Screenshot 2023-01-17 072726.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I think I just used 1.5mm
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

You'll have to put metric strings on it now... :wink: