Stumped on a time sig.

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
JD01

Stumped on a time sig.

Post by JD01 »

I've been working on a cover and I'm programing the drums.

Song - Fresh Tendrils by Soundgarden
The song starts in 4/4, a verse in 6/4, a brief bit of 4/4 then back to 6/4 for the second verse after which it goes the chorus.

There's a short section between the 2nd verse and the chorus where the time sig wanders and I can't put my finger on it.... I can play along on the guitar cos I know it well, but am struggling to programme the drums.

The 2nd verse starts about 1 minute in. Yeah, if you listen about a minute in, you'll have time do hear the groove of the 2nd verse and then notice where it gets weird.
JD01

Re: Stumped on a time sig.

Post by JD01 »

Listened to this again this morning... this is what I think is happening.
The last bar of the verse is shortened to a 5/4 which throws it off kilter, then there's a long bar of 7/4 which sounds wonky 'cos of the extended drum fill. But then the chorus does that thing where it comes in a quarter-note early... is this coming in on the up-beat? I've never known drum terminology.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Soundgarden was often weird about these things. Surprising how well these songs flow despite the weird timing.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:30 am Soundgarden was often weird about these things. Surprising how well these songs flow despite the weird timing.
Apparently thats how they ended up with the weird timings. The songs flowed so the timing just landed where it landed... unlike early Genesis or Rush that just sounds like maths exercise.

Anyway, any idea what the timing is?
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

JD01 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:23 am
Anyway, any idea what the timing is?
Your counting is as good as mine.