Guitar Conundrum

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Greg_L

Re: Guitar Conundrum

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:26 pm This is a really nice sounding guitar. Sounds a lot like my Crimson.

On the bridge pickup with a bit of crunch anyway. The neck pickup clean is very jazzy!
Tones. Post em. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:34 am We have an acorn!

Now I just have to find a Rick Beato truss rod cover.

20230111_150306.jpg
It's a boy!!! :D

Hell yeah @JD01 that's just awesome that you found a good Gibson. That's one of the few guitars on my bucket list for guitars, one of those straight-out-of-the-fifties, no-frills P90 Gibson models. Congrats, that's a badass guitar.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:53 am For fuck sake. And here i am on week number five waiting for my new fake tweed Telecaster case. :lollers2: :lollers2:
Just showed up! haha. I am going to rant out into the ether more often. Seems to get results! :like:
:happytrees:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:11 am
WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:53 am For fuck sake. And here i am on week number five waiting for my new fake tweed Telecaster case. :lollers2: :lollers2:
Just showed up! haha. I am going to rant out into the ether more often. Seems to get results! :like:
Worked for my CD as well.

Of course, mainly it doesn't work, we just forget about those times... :wink:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:15 pm
JD01 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:26 pm This is a really nice sounding guitar. Sounds a lot like my Crimson.

On the bridge pickup with a bit of crunch anyway. The neck pickup clean is very jazzy!
Tones. Post em. :coolstorybro:
Hopefully I'll get a spare few mins to play it out loud tomorrow, still only played it through headphones and compared it to my other guitars.

For strumming chords with crunch it's my best sounding guitar I think. Probably the worst feeling in the hands though and not cos of the chunky neck, I'm liking that.

Don't think it needs fret work, other than a bit of a clean and an oil. Feels like it needs the action a bit lower at the nut... and has the usual pinging when I'm tuning. Could also do with a bit of sanding on the seam where the fretboard meets the neck.

That all being said, it's still a decent guitar to play. You wouldn't pick it up and think its a dog. It's a lot better than my mustang which was severely neglected when I got it (remember the rancid fretboard pics) and my tele which was basically unplayable.

I'm gonna check it in with my favourite tech for a bit of initial love and then it should be great.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

So, one of these recent threads between this, dream guitars and greg's guitar was about guitar weights.

Crimson 3.65kg 8.04lb
Les Paul 3.08kg 6.79lb
Tele 3.68kg 8.11lb
Mustang 3.45kg 7.60lb
Mustang Bass 3.45kg 7.60lb

Dunno if google converter does metric fractions of pounds or if they are ounces - probably metric. So, 8.5lb is probably 8lb 8oz

I'm surprised by how way out my estimates were of my own guitar weights. While I was right about the Les Paul being light, I'm surprised by how heavy the Mustang is. Must feel lighter 'cos its a really compact shape when you hold it. I'm most surprised by how heavy the tele is, dunno why I've always assumed that its lighter than the crimson. Not sure what causes these perceptions.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:09 am So, one of these recent threads between this, dream guitars and greg's guitar was about guitar weights.

Crimson 3.65kg 8.04lb
Les Paul 3.08kg 6.79lb
Tele 3.68kg 8.11lb
Mustang 3.45kg 7.60lb

Dunno if google converter does metric fractions of pounds or if they are ounces - probably metric. So, 8.5lb is probably 8lb 8oz

I'm surprised by how way out my estimates were of my own guitar weights. While I was right about the Les Paul being light, I'm surprised by how heavy the Mustang is. Must feel lighter 'cos its a really compact shape when you hold it. I'm most surprised by how heavy the tele is, dunno why I've always assumed that its lighter than the crimson. Not sure what causes these perceptions.
Those weights look about right to me. 6-8 lbs is about where the vast majority of the most popular guitars weigh in. Once you get around 9lbs and more you're into "heavy guitar" territory.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:42 am
JD01 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:09 am So, one of these recent threads between this, dream guitars and greg's guitar was about guitar weights.

Crimson 3.65kg 8.04lb
Les Paul 3.08kg 6.79lb
Tele 3.68kg 8.11lb
Mustang 3.45kg 7.60lb

Those weights look about right to me. 6-8 lbs is about where the vast majority of the most popular guitars weigh in. Once you get around 9lbs and more you're into "heavy guitar" territory.
I think I was more surprised by how far out my perception of their weight was. Probably due to centre of gravity and how they hang off you more than their actually weight. Although the Less Paul was definitely the lightest.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Unless you're Lt Boob playing 8 hour sets at one time then none of this matters for a grown healthy adult man.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:09 am Unless you're Lt Boob playing 8 hour sets at one time then none of this matters for a grown healthy adult man.
This is true... although the way I crash skateboards maybe it won't be for long!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:13 am
This is true... although the way I crash skateboards maybe it won't be for long!
Do you ever even stand to play?

I don't ever experience any of the cliche groupthink talking points people have with guitars. I don't think Les Pauls are heavy, I don't think SGs neck dive, I don't think Teles are comfortable, I don't think planky shredder necks are easy to play. I don't get any of that. I think it's the way I wear my guitars.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:37 am
JD01 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:13 am
Do you ever even stand to play?

I don't ever experience any of the cliche groupthink talking points people have with guitars. I don't think Les Pauls are heavy, I don't think SGs neck dive, I don't think Teles are comfortable, I don't think planky shredder necks are easy to play. I don't get any of that. I think it's the way I wear my guitars.
Yeah, although it depends what I'm doing sort of thing I'm playing. If I'm strumming out chord sequences I'm usually standing. If I'm playing intricate lead stuff I'm usually sitting.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:40 am
Yeah, although it depends what I'm doing sort of thing I'm playing. If I'm strumming out chord sequences I'm usually standing. If I'm playing intricate lead stuff I'm usually sitting.
I sit to play when I'm just dicking around but if it's ever anything that needs to be decent I have to stand. I'm worse sitting. I can't fucking do anything with my elbows all bent in and a guitar under my chin like a fucking Beatle.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Just practice and what you're used to I guess. I stand more often recording that I do practicing.
If I get an hour in an evening to just play, I normally end up sitting with a pile of guitars in front of me laying against the piano.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:55 am Just practice
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:59 am
JD01 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:55 am Just practice
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
I do also have loads of back and shoulder issues which I'd initially thought was due to picking kids up, surfing and falling off my skateboard but it could be down to hours sitting down while playing guitar.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Update. Took the Les Paul to my favorite guitar Dr. today.
He's lowered the action at the nut and got rid of the standard pinging due to binding in the nut.

But then he also did a fret levelling, tidied up the fret ends and properly sanded back the join between the fretboard and the neck so it's super smooth. Cost me 42 quid... a fucking bargain. Great guitar, I love it.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

That is a good deal!

For the AUD equivalent over here, you'd probably get someone to polish your guitar for you... :mad3:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:08 pm That is a good deal!

For the AUD equivalent over here, you'd probably get someone to polish your guitar for you... :mad3:
Yeah, I thought so, he probably managed to get the work done nice and quickly and was pretty honest about it.
I'm a pretty good customer though, he's put pickups in my Crimson and changed both my Tele and Mustang from being virtually unplayable dogs to really nice sounding/playing guitars. He wanted a 100 quid for the Mustang but that needed quite a lot done.

What does everyone think is happening with guitar values over the next few years? I've pretty much decided that the Mustang is going, probably the Tele too. The Tele is worth about 400 quid right now and the Mustang about 1000... you think they'll appreciate at a higher rate than any interest I'll get on savings?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:27 am
What does everyone think is happening with guitar values over the next few years? I've pretty much decided that the Mustang is going, probably the Tele too. The Tele is worth about 400 quid right now and the Mustang about 1000... you think they'll appreciate at a higher rate than any interest I'll get on savings?
I don't think they'll appreciate significantly, if at all, because neither is anything special. They're not collectible or significant models, right? They're just regular production nice-ish guitars. Just get the most that you can or at least more than you paid and you'll be fine.
Rebel Yell