Guitar Conundrum

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Greg_L

Re: Guitar Conundrum

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:26 pm
The TV yellow one I looked at (and still regret not buying) a few years ago did have neck binding? No idea why. Bound to be a few odd spec ones coming through.

You're right though - I don't really care. The only guitar I've had with neck binding is my Washburn Falcon... I regret selling that too. Berk.
Yeah the general spec is Jrs have one pickup, silk screened headstock, no neck binding.
Specials have two pickups, standard LP headstock veneer, and neck binding.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

JD01 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:26 pm The only guitar I've had with neck binding is my Washburn Falcon... I regret selling that too. Berk.
hence my policy:
Lt. Bob wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:11 pm
a friend once told me, "Never sell your guitars ..... you just spend the money and then you don't have anything".

Don't sell anything and buy another guitar.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

20230111_131823.jpg
I'm done
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Wood doesn't match. :cuckoo:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:53 am Wood doesn't match. :cuckoo:
haha. I really don't care at all. Although that being said, it doesn't look quite so un-matched in the flesh.

Its absolutely freezing, so I've not brought it up to pitch yet. But I've tuned it to D and had a little unplugged widdle on it.
Action is nice, possibly a little high at the nut, but not sure yet. Frets are pretty small, not quite as small as the Mustang, but smaller than the tele and a lot smaller than the Crimson. Neck is pretty chunky, similar chunk to the Mustang but also wider. Widest of all my guitars that I'm using at the moment, possibly not as wide as the Ibanez but that's in the attic.

Aside from the odd scratch and ding it appears to be in very good condition for its age. Greg, you're right - the tuners have been replaced at some point - there are little rings in the paint around the posts on the headstock. Dunno what ones are supposed to be on there.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:25 am
haha. I really don't care at all. Although that being said, it doesn't look quite so un-matched in the flesh.
Lol it doesn't matter at all. Unmatched random seams is very Gibson. :coolstorybro:

IMO the best thing about those guitars is usually the neck. The P90s are great, sure, but P90s exist everywhere. The way the neck and body come together on those guitars, and the neck profile, it's a very rock and roll feeling. The necks are usually kind of chunky and the bodies are kind of small and you can just bang the shit out of it. They're anti-shred, which is the best thing there is.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:32 am
JD01 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:25 am
Lol it doesn't matter at all. Unmatched random seams is very Gibson. :coolstorybro:

IMO the best thing about those guitars is usually the neck. The P90s are great, sure, but P90s exist everywhere. The way the neck and body come together on those guitars, and the neck profile, it's a very rock and roll feeling. The necks are usually kind of chunky and the bodies are kind of small and you can just bang the shit out of it. They're anti-shred, which is the best thing there is.
Yeah, it just inspires to bash chords and let them ring out. Hopefully I'll get a chance to record it at volume on the weekend and I'll smash out some chords back to back with my Crimson, Tele and Mustang (which I don't think I've ever posted tones for).

This is where I bought it... next to a Greek restaurant, but the address itself looks like a defunct Greek accountant over an insurance office. No idea where a guitar shop fits into this. The address comes up on google maps as Electrohill guitar shop? I think he might have a backroom full of guitars somewhere and a couple of different names for his business. He sounded Pakistani to me, but he may or may not be Greek.
Anyway, I ordered it yesterday, it arrived today, well packaged in the condition advertised.
Guitar Shop.PNG
Electrohill has the same address as FenderFever but a different phone number... and considerable difference in quality to their websites!
https://www.fenderfever.com/
https://www.electrohill.co.uk/oshop/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by JD01 on Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Damn...Greek and Paki? You definitely got scammed. :eep:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:47 am Damn...Greek and Paki? You definitely got scammed. :eep:
haha, in a lot of ways the replaced tuners are reassuring that its real! No one is going to replace the tuners on a fake they've had made up.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:49 am
haha, in a lot of ways the replaced tuners are reassuring that its real! No one is going to replace the tuners on a fake they've had made up.
I replaced the tuners on my Chibson. That's the first thing you do.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

So, I've looked up the businesses.
Stylianou accouting, Abraxas Insurance Broker, Electrohill Guitars and Fender Fever all share an address.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Hmmmm, that's a lot of businesses. Sounds like a scam.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD's guitar store.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

haha, sounds about right.

Just plugged it and had a quick play through the emulated line out from my amp. Sounds pretty great actually.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:10 am haha, sounds about right.
Lol I'm just teasing anyway. That guitar looks 100% legit even if the business seems wonky. That's a guy that probably is an accountant or something for his real job and his side gig is online gear sales. It's actually pretty common here in the US.

If you really really wanna know, pop the truss rod cover off. Fakes don't ever have the acorn truss rod nut that real Gibsons do.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:12 am
JD01 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:10 am haha, sounds about right.
Lol I'm just teasing anyway. That guitar looks 100% legit even if the business seems wonky. That's a guy that probably is an accountant or something for his real job and his side gig is online gear sales. It's actually pretty common here in the US.
He's probably the flunky dropout kid of an accountant and insurance broker who just wants to fuck with guitars all day and has a stockroom in the back of his parents business.

Oh, what's an acorn truss rod nut?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:15 am
He's probably the flunky dropout kid of an accountant and insurance broker who just wants to fuck with guitars all day and has a stockroom in the back of his parents business.

Oh, what's an acorn truss rod nut?
Gibsons use an actual acorn nut on the end of the truss rod.

Chibsons rarely, if ever, have a proper Gibson style truss rod nut. They usually have a metric allen head nut like you'd find on an Epiphone or a Squier.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Ah, OK. I had no idea what an acorn nut was. I'll have a look later.

Looking it over and playing it, it doesn't feel fake. There's too much pick wear and very real knocks and dings where you'd expect them to be. Way too much effort to go to for a mid priced guitar. If you were trying to fake a 50s one for 10 grand I'd understand.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

We have an acorn!

Now I just have to find a Rick Beato truss rod cover.
20230111_150306.jpg
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:34 am We have an acorn!

Now I just have to find a Rick Beato truss rod cover.

20230111_150306.jpg
JD dissecting his guitar to make sure it's not fake. If you can't trust a greek paki limey that runs a questionable hodgepodge of businesses out of one weird address then who can you trust?
Rebel Yell