Guitar Conundrum

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Re: Guitar Conundrum

Post by JD01 »

The various Gibson serial number finders throw up some random shit
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:52 am
There are 18 pics there if you flick through them.
Oh shit, yeah there are. :lollers2:

Ok so I still see no reason to believe it's a fake. The nut is very Gibson. The serial number looks ok to me. Even the grain filling on the neck and the headstock wings looks right. The only thing that might be off are the tuners. And then, so what? That guitar is 17 years old now. Maybe somewhere along the way the tuners got changed. Keep in mind that guitar is a "low end" Gibson. Nothing about that guitar got their best stuff.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Had a good 2 hrs playing my guitars this afternoon. Want to keep the tele and maybe lose the Mustang now.

Or maybe just keep them all and then sell one if I'm properly broke.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I get the idea of only wanting gits if you play them all and with that in mind, I shouldn't have 22 guitars.

But I do play them all some.

I keep my gits in cases 'cause I simply don't have room to have many sitting out.
So I'll usually have one or two out on stands or leaning up precariously against something and every guitar I have rotates into being 'out' for usually a month or two.
And any recording or practicing I do is with whatever's out so they all get used.
I never say, " I want this sound ... lemme go get such and such a guitar."
I just reach over and grab the guitar that's on a stand by the desk and use it whatever it may be.
If I want a tele sound and it's a paul, I adjust things best as I can to make it sound tele-ish and that actually gives me a cool new sound of my own.

But for gigging I'm not as much of an equal opportunity git-user although I will grab an oddball from time to time to challenge myself and fill myself with regret later ... lol.
But 98% of the time there are only maybe 4 that I'll choose among for gigging ..... my Stinnett topping the list but I also use my yammie a lot and I really love my Slick but it's heavy.
I also choose my Monoprice Broadway quite a bit .... awesome guitar after you polish the frets..

I suppose I could get rid of some but why? ............... I like 'em.

So to summarize ..... more guitars = good thing!
And a friend once told me, "Never sell your guitars ..... you just spend the money and then you don't have anything".

Don't sell anything and buy another guitar.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah, I think I'll probably keep them all and see if I can gradually get the gear fund to replenish itself.

This afternoon I just sat in my room with my three main guitars around me and just swapped between them and had a lovely couple of hours.

I'd I need money for the next house extension I'll sell one.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

JD01 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:25 pm
House extensions must be cheap where you are... :lollers:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:25 pm
JD01 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:25 pm
House extensions must be cheap where you are... :lollers:
I mean if I need an extra few 1000 to chuck into the pot.

I definitely don't want the Beato guitar. The Beato guitar is just a clone of the Specials from the early 2000s with Beato's name on them anyway. When he announced it on his channel he said it was a copy of his 2004 TV yellow DC.

I think I'm going to get that red one... just need to let it sit in my brain for another couple of days... I might actually spend 1400 quid on a 2nd hand guitar unseen.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Think I'm gonna bid on this tomorrow and then make a final decision about the red one
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115661433400 ... m570.l5997
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:30 pm

Ergh. The price you guys can get things for!
I got my Gibson Lp Jr Special in 2012 for 825CAD. Your pricing scares me. Why such a big difference? it can't all just be inflation and shipping?
:happytrees:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Holy fuck why?

This is the "My Collection" section of reverb. Who is paying that high end for a Junior?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:15 pm
JD01 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:30 pm

Ergh. The price you guys can get things for!
I got my Gibson Lp Jr Special in 2012 for 825CAD. Your pricing scares me. Why such a big difference? it can't all just be inflation and shipping?
The prices have gone up a load in the last 10 years. I reckon that's partly down to problems, or at least perceived problems, with Gibson build quality. I nearly got one of these myself about 4 or 5 years ago for about £750. So they've pretty much doubled in price since then
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:17 pm Holy fuck why?

This is the "My Collection" section of reverb. Who is paying that high end for a Junior?
I'd love to know how much my Crimson is actually worth.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:18 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:15 pm

The prices have gone up a load in the last 10 years. I reckon that's partly down to problems, or at least perceived problems, with Gibson build quality. I nearly got one of these myself about 4 or 5 years ago for about £750. So they've pretty much doubled in price since then
That is so crazy. Man good luck hunting and killing what you want. I fully support your desire to want to have a JR. Special. It's probably my most favorite guitar to play and love the sound i can get out of it. You would definitely make some good use out of one. :like: :like:

I also throw another vote to Armi's Tele idea.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

It has nothing to do with "build quality". The people that still constantly cry about Gibson build quality are the people that read too much internet and don't actually handle any guitars. Go actually handle some guitars. And if Gibson build quality is anything to actually worry about, it was at it's worst during the later parts of Henry J's tenure. So that means roughly 2014-2018. Sure some of those guitars are iffy, but that's more about specs than actual quality. He got into some weird ideas.

Prices reflect desirability and availability. Just ten years ago Norlin era Gibsons were a joke. Now they're commanding stupid prices. Turns out those guitars are fucking bad ass. Who knew? We all did. But cork sniffing 50s snobs made 50s and 60s guitars unattainable, so the Norlin era is the next best thing and people got on board.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:30 pm
It has nothing to do with "build quality". The people that still constantly cry about Gibson build quality are the people that read too much internet and don't actually handle any guitars. Go actually handle some guitars. And if Gibson build quality is anything to actually worry about, it was at it's worst during the later parts of Henry J's tenure. So that means roughly 2014-2018. Sure some of those guitars are iffy, but that's more about specs than actual quality. He got into some weird ideas.

Prices reflect desirability and availability. Just ten years ago Norlin era Gibsons were a joke. Now they're commanding stupid prices. Turns out those guitars are fucking bad ass. Who knew? We all did. But cork sniffing 50s snobs made 50s and 60s guitars unattainable, so the Norlin era is the next best thing and people got on board.
I have tried out a lot of Gibsons in shops in the last 5 or 6 years... some of them really have been ropey. Ignore the weird spec stuff from about 5 years ago, but there were some with things like spikey fret ends and stuff like that. The older 2nd hand Gibsons from the late 90s that I've played on have been nice. Only tried a handful of these, so I might just have been lucky. (I was mainly playing Studios though, which is what I was after at the time, so cheaper end of the market)
Last edited by JD01 on Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

@Greg_L I didn't know what Norlin Era was so I looked it up:
https://menga.net/gibsons-stupid-norlin ... ic-guitars
Some real horrors in there.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:41 pm @Greg_L I didn't know what Norlin Era was so I looked it up:
https://menga.net/gibsons-stupid-norlin ... ic-guitars
Some real horrors in there.
I love the Norlin era and always have. Most of the greatest stuff ever played and recorded on Gibsons happened on guitars from that time period.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I don't really care about what era it is that much - I just want a nice guitar with P90s in it that I find inspiring. I think I am going to get that red one - gonna have a final agreement with the Mrs this evening.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:14 pm I don't really care about what era it is that much - I just want a nice guitar with P90s in it that I find inspiring. I think I am going to get that red one - gonna have a final agreement with the Mrs this evening.
What's weird about the red one is it doesn't have neck binding. Specials usually have neck binding but for some reason in that time period they made them without. I know you don't care about neck binding but it's a quirk about that specific era and I don't know why they skipped that step.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:22 pm
JD01 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:14 pm I don't really care about what era it is that much - I just want a nice guitar with P90s in it that I find inspiring. I think I am going to get that red one - gonna have a final agreement with the Mrs this evening.
What's weird about the red one is it doesn't have neck binding. Specials usually have neck binding but for some reason in that time period they made them without. I know you don't care about neck binding but it's a quirk about that specific era and I don't know why they skipped that step.
The TV yellow one I looked at (and still regret not buying) a few years ago did have neck binding? No idea why. Bound to be a few odd spec ones coming through.

You're right though - I don't really care. The only guitar I've had with neck binding is my Washburn Falcon... I regret selling that too. Berk.