Guitar Conundrum

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Re: Guitar Conundrum

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:55 am
JD01 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:27 am
What does everyone think is happening with guitar values over the next few years? I've pretty much decided that the Mustang is going, probably the Tele too. The Tele is worth about 400 quid right now and the Mustang about 1000... you think they'll appreciate at a higher rate than any interest I'll get on savings?
I don't think they'll appreciate significantly, if at all, because neither is anything special. They're not collectible or significant models, right? They're just regular production nice-ish guitars. Just get the most that you can or at least more than you paid and you'll be fine.
Maybe its just a weird blip in the UK 'cos of the economic weirdness we've had lately - prices have seemed to go up quite sharply.
I guess I'll just hang on to them and play them until I need money for the roof conversion... ironically, when we get that done I'll have a bigger room and more space for guitars.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:11 am
Maybe its just a weird blip in the UK 'cos of the economic weirdness we've had lately - prices have seemed to go up quite sharply.
I guess I'll just hang on to them and play them until I need money for the roof conversion... ironically, when we get that done I'll have a bigger room and more space for guitars.
From what to what though? Maybe it is just UK weirdness. Over here something like a decent modern Mexican Fender product hangs around the $300-600 range. They've been that way for.....forever.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:20 am
JD01 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:11 am
From what to what though? Maybe it is just UK weirdness. Over here something like a decent modern Mexican Fender product hangs around the $300-600 range. They've been that way for.....forever.
We had a very well publicised "cost of living crisis" at the end of last year. Its still ongoing, but its eased a bit. Half the country seems to be on strike.
I picked up my Mustang for 650 quid, they now seem to be going for about a grand. I got the Tele for 165 quid, but that was a few years ago. A Mexican tele seems to go for about 400 2nd hand. I'm just concerned that I don't want to lose money on these that's all.

I've already decided that the Gibson is a long term keeper.
muttley

Post by muttley »

JD01 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:27 am
Armistice wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:08 pm That is a good deal!

For the AUD equivalent over here, you'd probably get someone to polish your guitar for you... :mad3:

What does everyone think is happening with guitar values over the next few years? I've pretty much decided that the Mustang is going, probably the Tele too. The Tele is worth about 400 quid right now and the Mustang about 1000... you think they'll appreciate at a higher rate than any interest I'll get on savings?
If you took that 1500 quid and stuck it in a fixed rate ISA right now you would get 4% on it. It is unlikely those guitars would achieve that. Your biggest enemy right now is inflation so cash is losing value hand over fist relatively. Again those guitars are unlikely to go up in line with inflation so move them on and get whatever gear you want and enjoy it.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Modern low-to-medium price point mass production guitars are not investments. Unless you steal one they're not even good for flipping. Keep them and play them or sell them for what you can and move on.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Buying any guitar as an investment is not a great idea ..... people made money with beany babies too until they didn't.
Even the most desirable guitars have gone down in price in the last decade and that will continue as the old guys that love them age out

I've owned everything including quite a few 6 figure guitars but I never, ever ever bought a guitar for any reason other than to play it
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:39 pm Buying any guitar as an investment is not a great idea ..... people made money with beany babies too until they didn't.
Even the most desirable guitars have gone down in price in the last decade and that will continue as the old guys that love them age out

I've owned everything including quite a few 6 figure guitars but I never, ever ever bought a guitar for any reason other than to play it
Yeah, I bought them to play them... I'm low on space though.
20230127_163155.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

JD01 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:02 pm
you have other rooms right?

:lollers:
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:37 am
JD01 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:13 am
This is true... although the way I crash skateboards maybe it won't be for long!
I don't ever experience any of the cliche groupthink talking points people have with guitars. I don't think Les Pauls are heavy.
Me too. Most commenters on Yamaha SG guitars complain that they are very heavy. They are a good weight, yes, but my Yamaha SG is the third heaviest of my SGs. The most recent one that I built is noticeably heavier and my original is an anchor by any standards. But I don't feel the weight when I play. The complainers must be either ill or feeble.
Haggard Musician :mad:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:44 pm
you have other rooms right?

:lollers:
Haha, if they started spreading into other rooms I'd be getting a divorce. There's an acoustic downstairs too.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:39 pm Buying any guitar as an investment is not a great idea ..... people made money with beany babies too until they didn't.

20230127_163155.jpg
Get rid of that stupid fucking piano thing and you'll have room.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I bought myself a new strap for my new guitar today. I was recording some drafts for stuff last night and it was doing my head in swapping straps between guitars so I figured I needed at least once more so I got one of these:
https://astrings.co.uk/collections/stra ... 26f7&_ss=c
I considered getting the Joe Strummer strap but that was too fan-girly, even for me!
https://astrings.co.uk/collections/stra ... ghts-strap

I've decided that I've basically got all the guitars I want now, so I'm not shopping for any more!
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

JD01 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:56 am

I've decided that I've basically got all the guitars I want now, so I'm not shopping for any more!
I said that about 17 guitars ago!

:spacepalm: