CBT Song Sketch (Comical Bass Theory)

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
rayc

CBT Song Sketch (Comical Bass Theory)

Post by rayc »

Reading & listening gave me a little bit of inspiration for a new song.
No lyrics or melody and still working on the guitar arrangements before Marshalling.
At present just my Hofner knock off bass through a BDI21 and my Squire Mustang through a Joyo Vox in a Box pedal.
This would probably be a good song for P90s but I only have one and that's in the bridge position of a Mosrite clone so not really useful.
Thoughts?
CRT C.mp3
Tweak #1
CRT Cd.mp3
Re-tracked BASS
Vantage bass, full scale & round wound strings D.I. no Behringer BDI21 this time.
CRTF.mp3
Re-tracked all guitar parts...squire into Marshall not aiming for brutal. Some balancing/mixing/EQ to do
CRTSkinny.mp3
Addressed some tuning issues, I hope, and added a couple of little guitar bits...
CRT G.mp3
As requested @Lt.Bob more bottom end bass...
CRT Hb.mp3
After a few days of listening and thinking...
22/01/23
CRT 2201.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rayc on Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:48 am, edited 8 times in total.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Re: CRT Song Sketch

Post by Armistice »

CRT = cathode ray tube? critical race theory? :confused:

Sounds a bit Television in guitar tones and initial feel - not a bad thing - but I'm only listening on the laptop. Will sound better through an amp I'm sure.

At points there sounds to be a tuning / intonation thing going on, possibly with the bass, but if they're only guide tracks I'm sure this won't be a problem in further developments.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Armistice wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:32 am CRT = cathode ray tube?
Sounds a bit Television in guitar tones and initial feel - not a bad thing - but I'm only listening on the laptop. Will sound better through an amp I'm sure.
At points there sounds to be a tuning / intonation thing going on, possibly with the bass, but if they're only guide tracks I'm sure this won't be a problem in further developments.
CRT = cathode ray tube?
Thanks David,
I had a listen - def the bass - I think it's the rarity of me playing in C. I was pedalling on C# rather than C. Temporary fix is in place & posted above.
There're also some issues with the guitar high E string above G# is out by a semi or so. I've dialled the saddle to the max and still can't get it right so will have to wind back and try from the initial position again.
Yes, all guide tracks...I def. need my Vantage bass on this and some clean and slightly broken Marshall on bass so will re-track when I've sorted the arrangement.
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

This mix feels like it's almost all bass guitar. What is meant to be finalized (or at least mostly so) at this point rather than scratch tracks?
rayc

Post by rayc »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:12 pm This mix feels like it's almost all bass guitar. What is meant to be finalized (or at least mostly so) at this point rather than scratch tracks?
Everything Steve. Bass is prominent as that was the last thing added and I'm biased, in the early stage, to what I've just done.
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

rayc wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:08 pm
vomitHatSteve wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:12 pm This mix feels like it's almost all bass guitar. What is meant to be finalized (or at least mostly so) at this point rather than scratch tracks?
Everything Steve. Bass is prominent as that was the last thing added and I'm biased, in the early stage, to what I've just done.
Ah, cool. Yeah, so my major note at this juncture is that the bass could come way back!
Alison

Post by Alison »

Love the feel of this, Ray! To me, it has kind of a Beach Boys feel (meant as a compliment!). I'm anxious to hear what you will do with this!
If I knew what I was doing, I'd be dangerous!
TheTestingYak

Post by TheTestingYak »

Good Choon, Brav.
Good Choon Brav.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Thanks @Alison, @vomitHatSteve& @TheTestingYak,
I've re-tracked the bass & guitars.
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

TheTestingYak wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:23 pm Good Choon, Brav.
Ta Yakkity.
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Re: CBT Song Sketch (Comical Bass Theory)

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Yeah, that bass is sitting far better now!
Cool tone on that.
rayc

Post by rayc »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:01 pm Yeah, that bass is sitting far better now!
Cool tone on that.
Thanks Steve,
It's not a bad DI bass and a very cheap thing at about Aus$108 in 1981.
Cheers
rayc
Alison

Post by Alison »

I really love this, Ray. Can't wait to hear what you do with it. The latest mix is great!
If I knew what I was doing, I'd be dangerous!
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

only listened to last one but I found the bass to be light sounding ....... I wouldn't mind having a bit more of it .... or actually if it were me I'd just add some lows .... maybe 80hz-125 or so.

BUT I feel like you're going for that vintage 'mersey beat' sorta sound or at least it makes me think of that so I wouldn't fatten up the tone in that case.
But either way I feel the git on the right is way overpowering the bass but that git doesn't need to come down.
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

I listen to H and one or two others for reference on the low end.

I agree the others were light. The low end of H sound real good. I like the guitar sounds of H too.

Levels on everything sound right.

Good one.
rayc

Post by rayc »

New mix with more bottom end in the bass.
Thanks@TripleM.
Cheers
rayc
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

Sorry, I was saying that what I called mix H was good on the bass level. It's the file named CRT Hb.mp3. It was earlier mixes that I thought sounded light. Actually, I think this last one (CRT 2201) had too much low end on the bass. I liked the mix immediately previous (CRT Hb.mp3). Sorry for the trouble.