New Year, new recording!

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
JD01

Re: New Year, new recording!

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:40 pm Better yet, connect its MIDI out and use a VST piano in glorious stereo automatically... and you can fix up your playing mistakes along the way...
This also works. I get the impression @Alison would be happier with audio rather than MIDI. whenever I've "corrected" my mistakes in MIDI and snapped it all to the grid I always think it sounds a bit shit
Last edited by JD01 on Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:57 am
Armistice wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:40 pm Better yet, connect its MIDI out and use a VST piano in glorious stereo automatically... and you can fix up your playing mistakes along the way...
This also works. I get the impression you'd be happier with audio rather than MIDI. whenever I've "corrected" my mistakes in MIDI and snapped it all to the grid I always think it sounds a bit shit
I'm more talking about when you hit the wrong note in an otherwise good take, or think, "Hmm... I wish I hadn't taken my foot off the sustain pedal so early there" or "this is OK but it'd be better if I'd added another note here..." or "this note I've hit too soon" and that sort of minor stuff that you can easily correct if you're not a cracking pianist who'd just have another swing at it. Piano in particular sounds awful when snapped to a grid.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:05 am
JD01 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:57 am
This also works. I get the impression you'd be happier with audio rather than MIDI. whenever I've "corrected" my mistakes in MIDI and snapped it all to the grid I always think it sounds a bit shit
I'm more talking about when you hit the wrong note in an otherwise good take, or think, "Hmm... I wish I hadn't taken my foot off the sustain pedal so early there" or "this is OK but it'd be better if I'd added another note here..." or "this note I've hit too soon" and that sort of minor stuff that you can easily correct if you're not a cracking pianist who'd just have another swing at it. Piano in particular sounds awful when snapped to a grid.
Yeah, I'm not a very good pianist and I've recorded an audio, thought, "oh, that's a bit sloppy" switched to the MIDI version, adjusted one note, then I feel like I have to do the one next to it, then the one after that. etc. Its like dominoes! I think its better if I just practice. Always worth recording the MIDI too though 'cos you can add some lovely piano VSTs and, like you said, correct really obvious mistakes.

Also, I guess it depends on your piano, but I think mine sounds pretty good actually. I checked a few different ones out but pianist friends of mine were very much - just get a Yamaha, won't have some digital functionality which you'll probably never use, but it will have good basic piano sounds.
Last edited by JD01 on Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Well, @Alison adding Armi in was a win, really fills out the bottom end.
The low end of this has now become a bit muddy and indistinct between the bass and piano in particular. This is probably due to your piano being mono so you have the bass end of the piano right down the centre! This doesn't really affect how the song feels that much, as its a pretty emotional/intimate piece. But, if you re-record your piano in stereo it'll be one of them things where you don't realise how nice it could be until you hear it.

This is a Y cable

Make sure you get one long enough to get from your headphone out on your piano to your interface!
Alison

Post by Alison »

Oh, damn, looks like I'm going to re-record the piano now! Should have something by this weekend. Thanks for all the tips and advice, piano is very new to me so. . .off I go! Practice first, record after.
If I knew what I was doing, I'd be dangerous!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Alison wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:28 am Oh, damn, looks like I'm going to re-record the piano now! Should have something by this weekend. Thanks for all the tips and advice, piano is very new to me so. . .off I go! Practice first, record after.
haha, did you buy a Y cable already?
Alison

Post by Alison »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:30 am
Alison wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:28 am Oh, damn, looks like I'm going to re-record the piano now! Should have something by this weekend. Thanks for all the tips and advice, piano is very new to me so. . .off I go! Practice first, record after.
No, not yet. I thought maybe 2 cables would do the same job?
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Alison wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:22 am
JD01 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:30 am
What's the make and model of your piano? Does it have L and R outs or just a headphone out or both?

Seems odd that a keyboard would have two stereo headphones out but not any audio outs.

If it has L and R outs then two cables is fine...
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Listening to mix #2. Wow, I think that this sounds great @Alison. That cello on the left really sounds perfect to me. The acoustic on the right sounds good too. And it's a lovely song. Nice work!
Alison

Post by Alison »

Armistice wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:23 am
Alison wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:22 am

What's the make and model of your piano? Does it have L and R outs or just a headphone out or both?

Seems odd that a keyboard would have two stereo headphones out but not any audio outs.

My piano os a Yamaha Arius YDP-143. It has 2 headphone outs but they aren't labeled L or R.
Alison

Post by Alison »

Thank you very much @Tadpui, such a lovely compliment!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Alison wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:29 pm
Armistice wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:23 am

My piano os a Yamaha Arius YDP-143. It has 2 headphone outs but they aren't labeled L or R.
Ah, they are probably both stereo outs.
So, I you put a mono cable in each of them it will just give you two mono signals and no stereo spread. Annoying I know.
Alison

Post by Alison »

JD01 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:05 pm
Alison wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:29 pm

Ah, they are probably both stereo outs.
So, I you put a mono cable in each of them it will just give you two mono signals and no stereo spread. Annoying I know.
Okay, well, I need to practice the part more AND I need some candy from sweetwater so. . . :lollers2:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Yup. Just checking the spec - just the two headphone outs. Not sure on the signal level from those things and his it would work going into a interface, before you go buying cables.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

OK - not my area of expertise at all but a headphone out will not have the same signal as a line out which is what you'd find on a stage piano - it will have been amplified to power headphones.

Apparently, however, so long as you keep the volume low it should work well enough - so you might need to listen to what you're playing via your monitors rather than the piano's speaker - or something like that.

There'll be people here who know more about this than I do.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Mix TWO - David's addition makes a big difference - GOOD.
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Alison wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:11 pm
Okay, well, I need to practice the part more AND I need some candy from sweetwater so. . . :lollers2:
:lollers:

If both outputs are stereo, my solution would be a Y cable (TRS to dual TS) and 2 DIs then.
Alison

Post by Alison »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:08 pm
Alison wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:11 pm
:lollers:

If both outputs are stereo, my solution would be a Y cable (TRS to dual TS) and 2 DIs then.
Wow, this is getting complicated! I'm afraid I don't know what a TRS and TS is although I do know what a DI is. . .I'm new to this. . .
TheTestingYak

Post by TheTestingYak »

Gud Choon. Bravo.
Good Choon Brav.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Tip ring sleeve / Tip sleeve.

Just a visual description of the plug on the cable. TRS has a tip and then a ring and then a sleeve - ie. it's stereo - look at any headphone plug. TS had just a tip and a sleeve. Look at any guitar / instrument cable plug.

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ar ... trs-cables

The need for DIs was what I was wondering about before, because unless you already have 2, this starts to get expensive. Try without first, at low volume.