New Year, new recording!

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
Alison

Re: New Year, new recording!

Post by Alison »

Armistice wrote: ↑Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:25 pm Tip ring sleeve / Tip sleeve.

Just a visual description of the plug on the cable. TRS has a tip and then a ring and then a sleeve - ie. it's stereo - look at any headphone plug. TS had just a tip and a sleeve. Look at any guitar / instrument cable plug.

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ar ... trs-cables

The need for DIs was what I was wondering about before, because unless you already have 2, this starts to get expensive. Try without first, at low volume.
Great, thank you. This is why I love you guys, I learn something new all the time!

And thank you, @TheTestingYak, I'm glad you like it!
If I knew what I was doing, I'd be dangerous!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Alison, If I get a chance this weekend I'll do you two recordings, a mono and a stereo.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Alison - does your keyboard actually have MIDI outputs? I was looking at the spec for the model and it had something called "USB to host" but I wasn't sure what that does.

Sort of beggars belief that Yamaha, of all companies, wouldn't include MIDI out, but then they didn't give you line out, so maybe this is just meant to be plinked and plonked in the corner, rather than recorded.

Anyway, if it does, it'd be worth the exercise to learn how to record the MIDI in real time (simple enough to do via your DAW, usually) as you're playing.

If you had that capability, even if you don't have virtual pianos yourself, it might be useful occasionally to have other piano sound options available. This assumes you'll continue recording piano of course - if it's a one off, not worth the trouble. Anyway, anyone with a piano library can run your MIDI file through it and send you back different piano options as .wav files ... without any actual work required. Simple as.

Just a thought for the future. :like:
Alison

Post by Alison »

@JD01 thank you, that'd be great but I do know you have your hands full!

@Armistice that's definitely something to look into. My husband bought this piano 10/12 years ago LONG before I started home recording. He definitely didn't have recording in mind when he bought it. Right now, I'm not too keen on buying a bunch of cords unless I really have to. I like the new dimension that the piano is bringing to my music but I am not much of a player so. . .
Anyway, I did some experimenting and re-recorded the piano part in stereo then split the left and right. It's still stereo as JD said it would be but, I'm thinking that it releaves a bit of the muddiness. I'll post it later this weekend.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all of the input!
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Fair enough.

Out of curiosity I did some more digging and I believe that the "USB to host" thing is actually a MIDI connection, so out of curiousity perhaps, next time you're playing, connect a USB cable (f you have such a thing - there would have been one with the piano originally, no doubt) to your computer, open up your DAW, arm a track as MIDI instead of audio, press record and plonk a few notes to see what happens.

Might open up a whole new world for you.
rayc

Post by rayc »

I use BIAB organ & piano quite a bit...they're usuall stereo. They almost always muddy a mix so I render to mono, toss a high pass filter on to remove the mud and then am able to pan as suits the song. Often there are things on the left side of the keyboard that are cool to keep and removing the bottom doesn't take away the indication they are there that are held in the higher parts of those notes.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I always record stereo piano/keyboard but I do narrow them so they're not 100% L & R fairly frequently..
Alison

Post by Alison »

Armistice wrote: ↑Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:03 pm Fair enough.

Out of curiosity I did some more digging and I believe that the "USB to host" thing is actually a MIDI connection, so out of curiousity perhaps, next time you're playing, connect a USB cable (f you have such a thing - there would have been one with the piano originally, no doubt) to your computer, open up your DAW, arm a track as MIDI instead of audio, press record and plonk a few notes to see what happens.

Might open up a whole new world for you.
I will definitely check on that! Tomorrow is move the piano day!
Alison

Post by Alison »

So, I am posting my new mix now. . .I probably have the piano left and right too far (as @Armistice mentioned) but I do think it may have solved the "muddy" problem and balance problem. . .I don't know but, tomorrow I will search for a way to connect a USB cable. Oh my aching brain! But, I am determined so, check the new mix. . .thanks!
rayc

Post by rayc »

I had to download the file as the players are "playing up".
Nice one.
Cheers
rayc