Crimson Fades - Mix 3 - Possibly Final Mix?

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
musicturtle

Crimson Fades - Mix 3 - Possibly Final Mix?

Post by musicturtle »

This is my first attempt at recording something original in a quite a while.
A melancholy tune for a melancholy year.

This is my first stab a mix...so any and all critiques and suggestions are welcome.

Mix 1
Crimson Fades Mix 1.mp3

Mix 2
Crimson Fades Mix MP3 2.5.mp3

Mix 3
Crimson Fades MP3 Mix 1221.7.mp3

Another song, another round
Another walk on hallowed ground

Another catch, another throw
Another rain delay won’t slow you down

Relativity, changes what we see

Tomorrow could be far away
From where we are today
Crimson always fades

Even stone must heed the call of time
The sands will fall in line
Along with yours and mine

Crimson fades away

Another glance, another kiss
Another chance to reminisce

Another pass, another ride
Another shore without a tide, running amiss

There's rarely privity
To our destiny

Tomorrow could be far away
From where we are today
Crimson always fades

Even stone must heed the call of time
The sands will fall in line
Along with yours and mine

Crimson fades away

Here we are today
The moments masquerade
While crimson finds a way

Sands gather down the line
None will be left behind
As if it’s by design

Crimson finds a way
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by musicturtle on Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: Crimson Fades - New Original Tune

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Cool intro MT. At first i was like wtf is wrong here but it made sense after a few seconds. Good stuff.

Right off the bat it feels crowded in and around the center of the mix. opening up your guitars a bit wider maybe might be good some room in there for the drums. They are kind if sitting underneath everything else.

@ 2:29ish there is a really quick computer noise of some sort like something gut hung while rendering or something. It's a really odd noise but it stuck out to my ears. Sounds like it could be on the acoustic guitar track perhaps? Might be worth checking into.

Well done song man. Very MT jam. Lyrics are quite nice too. I am sure there is a story behind them. Share if you felt up to it sometime.
:happytrees:
rayc

Post by rayc »

There's some sibilant stuff - particularly on the 1st catch.
The vocals could come forward a little.
I haven't seen privity in a lyric so extra points for language.
Good melody, good vocal, good harmonies.
I did miss the electric sound of the intro through the rest...it was there but not quite as aggressive/edgy.
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

That's pretty.
I like the fade/pan intro. Is that just one guitar?

The lead vox could probably come up a nudge during the verses. It's bolstered enough when the harmonies are going, but some of the lower notes are just a little buried.
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

Pretty song.

I think the lead vocal could be a bit more upfront. I think just backing down the acoustic guits would let it come through.

The chorus gets kind of crowded - the acoustic and elec guits, along with the backing vocals compete with the lead vocal.

Yeah there was a little something at 2:29. It goes by pretty quickly and I couldn't tell what it was.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Nice work MT...

I'd bring the lead vocal up a bit and possibly reduce the level of the harmonies a touch, might make it sit all together in better.

I'm only listening in mono on my laptop, so probably can't give you much more at this stage. I'll take it upstairs in the next couple of days, maybe when you update the mix.

Good to see you back on board. :like:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I don't think you'll need to bring up the lead vocal if you pan the guitars a bit wider.
The acoustic does seem a bit trebly throughout, almost like you've recorded with the mic on the 7th fret! If you've got a hi-freq boost somewhere to make it cut through, you don't need it!
CeeBee

Post by CeeBee »

Cool song MT, nice structure and arrangement. I look forward to the next mix.
Cheers
Chris
my music
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Nice song, nice vocals.

I agree with JD...a little wider panning with the guitars will free up the vocal space.

Also, this is pretty nitpicky, but I'm pretty sure I can hear pickup hum and buzz in the solo. Normally I don't care about stuff like that but this one really sticks out to me with it being such a sparse part of the mix. Maybe retrack that with a different guitar or position yourself so you don't get all that 60 cycle noise.
Rebel Yell
musicturtle

Re: Crimson Fades - New Original Tune - Mix 2

Post by musicturtle »

Thanks everyone for the ears

I brought the lead vox up a bit, lowered the BG vox, spread the mix out and added some texture to the ends of the chorus with reverb

@WhiskeyJack and @TripleM I think the 2:29 thing was the flub I had on guitar, retracked

@rayc I think I got the essing tamed pretty well with eq and leveling, yes privity is an odd one but it fit

@vomitHatSteve yeah it's one guitar on the intro, I just copied the track faded one out(with a hollow eq panned left) and and faded one in(eq normal panned center)

@JD01 I pulled down some high frequency boost and added some compression on the acoustics

@Greg_L Good ears on the hum, I pulled down the level of the lead guitar quite a bit(was gonna do that anyway), I don't really hear it now but I don't hear some frequencies anymore so please let me know if you can still hear it, thanks.
Last edited by musicturtle on Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

@WhiskeyJack Thanks for asking about the lyrics.

The first two choruses came to me when my Dad passed earlier this year. You never know what tomorrow will bring sort of thing.

I thought of crimson as the color of roses and blood/life, and how you should never take them for granted.

The verses are just meant to be allegories to passing on things you might do because you kind of take them for granted.

The last chorus came a couple weeks ago, I didn't want to leave it so drab, so I added the ending with the thought that we are here in the moment(even though in our minds we many times are not) and that life finds it's way through all things.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

musicturtle wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:31 pm

@Greg_L Good ears on the hum, I pulled down the level of the lead guitar quite a bit(was gonna do that anyway), I don't really hear it now but I don't hear some frequencies anymore so please let me know if you can still hear it, thanks.
Yup better now. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

musicturtle wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:42 pm @WhiskeyJack Thanks for asking about the lyrics.

The first two choruses came to me when my Dad passed earlier this year. You never know what tomorrow will bring sort of thing.

I thought of crimson as the color of roses and blood/life, and how you should never take them for granted.

The verses are just meant to be allegories to passing on things you might do because you kind of take them for granted.

The last chorus came a couple weeks ago, I didn't want to leave it so drab, so I added the ending with the thought that we are here in the moment(even though in our minds we many times are not) and that life finds it's way through all things.
Awesome MT! I picked up a vibe of thoughtful and deeply personal lyrics. Thanks for sharing dude!
:happytrees:
Alison

Post by Alison »

Kudos on your song. I love the lyrics and can really relate to this. . . my only criticism (if you call it that) is that when you enter into, "Tomorrow could be far away" the snare seems a bit too much. I know you want to emphasize that section but it (to my ear) seems a bit too much. LOVE the song though and can totally relate to it!!
If I knew what I was doing, I'd be dangerous!
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Alison wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:12 pm Kudos on your song. I love the lyrics and can really relate to this. . . my only criticism (if you call it that) is that when you enter into, "Tomorrow could be far away" the snare seems a bit too much. I know you want to emphasize that section but it (to my ear) seems a bit too much. LOVE the song though and can totally relate to it!!
Thanks Alison, yeah I tamed that a little in my most recent mix. But you're right I do want the change felt in the section as well.

Thanks for listening!
JD01

Re: Crimson Fades - Mix 3 - Possibly Final Mix?

Post by JD01 »

I'm back in at Mix 3 Tony. Its good :)
There's a random drum fill at about 48s sounds a bit wonky.
Vocal on this sounds really effortless - like you're finding this really easy to sing which is a good thing.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

JD01 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:06 am I'm back in at Mix 3 Tony. Its good :)
There's a random drum fill at about 48s sounds a bit wonky.
Vocal on this sounds really effortless - like you're finding this really easy to sing which is a good thing.
Thanks James. Yeah I am gonna change that little fill, I kinda liked that it was wonky but I also find it distracting.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Mix Three - yes Tony, you're there.
Cheers
rayc
TheTestingYak

Post by TheTestingYak »

Good Choon, Brav. 👏
Good Choon Brav.