Lights on for 2023

We keep the lights on.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: Lights on for 2023

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Thank you to all who have donated! We have reached our target as of this morning. I will pay the bill here this afternoon and we are good to go into 2023 full steam ahead.

Now, in the meantime. If anyone has some good ideas for generating traffic and some new users into our community let's brainstorm!

As it is now Between myself, @Armistice and @Tadpui We kill about 15-30 bot accounts a week. Ish. All of them coming from .ru domains. Fucking Russians. But not any real new users to speak of. I don't know if we just went dark or what but some new blood in here would be really cool.

If anyone had some good ideas.
:happytrees:
rayc

Post by rayc »

How about contacting those occasionals like the Heidleburger?
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I've dropped numerous hints at HR, attempting to lure people - even invited them, and they come, and then they go back - mainly, it appears to me, because their primary motivation in being on a recording site is the social contact - chat, arguing, whatever... rather than music recording itself.

And various people here are experiencing life events which are more important than hanging around here - muttley, Alison etc. - and so even those who are here, aren't here, often for long periods of time.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:26 pm I've dropped numerous hints at HR, attempting to lure people - even invited them, and they come, and then they go back - mainly, it appears to me, because their primary motivation in being on a recording site is the social contact - chat, arguing, whatever... rather than music recording itself.

And various people here are experiencing life events which are more important than hanging around here - muttley, Alison etc. - and so even those who are here, aren't here, often for long periods of time.
@Alison has started re-building her studio - her new place looks lovely too.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Armistice wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:26 pm I've dropped numerous hints at HR, attempting to lure people - even invited them, and they come, and then they go back - mainly, it appears to me, because their primary motivation in being on a recording site is the social contact - chat, arguing, whatever... rather than music recording itself.

See, I like the social aspect here a lot more.

Over on HR, I only ever participated in the music part of things because there were just too many people actively involved. The Cave and later Jeni's just seemed like a bunch of nattering into the void where I'd say something and then strangers would bicker for pages until I came back the next morning for my daily check.
Alison

Post by Alison »

Hi guys,
Just took care of my part of the electric company. I do pop in from time to time (lurking in the shadows) and, hopefully, will be back to recording at some point. Moving is hell. . . the settling part is a bit easier. We sold almost everything before we moved and have slowly but surely added some furniture, etc. It's definitely starting to feel like home. Got to DRIVE to visit my grandson last weekend. You don't know how wonderful that is!

I've tried to get people to join and thought maybe Annika would enjoy it here. I think part of it is time. A lot of musicians would rather pay someone to mix than learn to do it themselves. I enjoy learning and doing things myself and have learned a TON from you all! Social media has gone downhill lately so even a blast-out there might not do much good. I'll try and say something from time to time, maybe someone will pick up on it. I do believe though that too many people could spoil the brew!

Anyway, I've been missing you all and am looking forward to getting back at it!
If I knew what I was doing, I'd be dangerous!
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Alison wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:40 pm Hi guys,
Just took care of my part of the electric company. I do pop in from time to time (lurking in the shadows) and, hopefully, will be back to recording at some point. Moving is hell. . . the settling part is a bit easier. We sold almost everything before we moved and have slowly but surely added some furniture, etc. It's definitely starting to feel like home. Got to DRIVE to visit my grandson last weekend. You don't know how wonderful that is!

I've tried to get people to join and thought maybe Annika would enjoy it here. I think part of it is time. A lot of musicians would rather pay someone to mix than learn to do it themselves. I enjoy learning and doing things myself and have learned a TON from you all! Social media has gone downhill lately so even a blast-out there might not do much good. I'll try and say something from time to time, maybe someone will pick up on it. I do believe though that too many people could spoil the brew!

Anyway, I've been missing you all and am looking forward to getting back at it!
Thanks Alison.

Congrats on the move. Very glad to hear you are much closer to fam now! that is super exciting! 2022 was a busy year for everyone.

I also couldn't agree more on your comments re: social media.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

ya' know .... even if we only had the people we have right now, I'd personally pay the entire bill to keep the place here ..... it's really not that much to see my friends even if there are times when we all variously aren't around.

I was just in NO for a week playing music with my daughter and I don't do the net on my phone so's that's where I've been
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:08 am I was just in NO for a week playing music with my daughter and I don't do the net on my phone so's that's where I've been
How's she doing?
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:08 am ya' know .... even if we only had the people we have right now, I'd personally pay the entire bill to keep the place here ..... it's really not that much to see my friends even if there are times when we all variously aren't around.

I was just in NO for a week playing music with my daughter and I don't do the net on my phone so's that's where I've been
Phew! I'd be lying if i said i hadn't noticed your absence and began to worry.

How is Jenn?
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

JD01 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:15 am
Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:08 am I was just in NO for a week playing music with my daughter and I don't do the net on my phone so's that's where I've been
How's she doing?
welll ...... she's seemingly unaffected by the chemo after 5 treatments ...... hasn't lost her hair even and brimming with energy.
She knows that could change but so far she seems to be one of the lucky ones who don't get too sick from it

She's been in N.O. for about 10 years and has become a force in the N.O. music scene which is something I never accomplished.
Above and beyond her being my daughter she's an impressively popular musician in that scene.

She had a place on Bourbon that let her just throw a band together when she wanted and we played for tips ...... she made 700 bucks just in tips.
And places on Bourbon don't just let you play so I was amazed by that.

She was professional and has developed a powerful voice and stage presence ..... it was interesting to talk to her and be talking to a full fledged equal professional performer.
Last time I played with her 20 years ago she wasn't very good and also it was just an idle hobby at most for her.

I would have NEVER thought she would even think of doing it as a career ...... so that's amazing to me.
She does live with a drummer though so I guess I didn't teach her as well as I thought.

There's a lot to be unpacked and perhaps I'll do a thread about it ..... we've been not really in contact for 15 years until about a year ago ....... don't really know why.
But basically this visit was wonderful and everything you'd hope it might be but wouldn't expect it to accomplish .... ...... I'm going back in Jan for a longer visit.
But basically

We went to the Van Gogh Immersive Exhibit ...... OMG ...... one of the best things I've ever been to.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:01 pm
JD01 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:15 am
How's she doing?
welll ...... she's seemingly unaffected by the chemo after 5 treatments ...... hasn't lost her hair even and brimming with energy.
She knows that could change but so far she seems to be one of the lucky ones who don't get too sick from it

She's been in N.O. for about 10 years and has become a force in the N.O. music scene which is something I never accomplished.
Above and beyond her being my daughter she's an impressively popular musician in that scene.

She had a place on Bourbon that let her just throw a band together when she wanted and we played for tips ...... she made 700 bucks just in tips.
And places on Bourbon don't just let you play so I was amazed by that.

She was professional and has developed a powerful voice and stage presence ..... it was interesting to talk to her and be talking to a full fledged equal professional performer.
Last time I played with her 20 years ago she wasn't very good and also it was just an idle hobby at most for her.

I would have NEVER thought she would even think of doing it as a career ...... so that's amazing to me.
She does live with a drummer though so I guess I didn't teach her as well as I thought.

There's a lot to be unpacked and perhaps I'll do a thread about it ..... we've been not really in contact for 15 years until about a year ago ....... don't really know why.
But basically this visit was wonderful and everything you'd hope it might be but wouldn't expect it to accomplish .... ...... I'm going back in Jan for a longer visit.
But basically

We went to the Van Gogh Immersive Exhibit ...... OMG ...... one of the best things I've ever been to.
That's great, dude.
rayc

Post by rayc »

It's good that it was a) good and b) that she's done her own thing that, in many ways, mirrors her old man.
Cheers
rayc