Contender for worst website - FuelRocks

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Tadpui

Contender for worst website - FuelRocks

Post by Tadpui »

Articles from this website keep popping up in my news feed, since they (on the surface, at least) pertain to my interests in music and guitars. Once I clicked on one of their articles, I was perplexed at the poor quality of the articles. Is this written by a bot/AI? Is it a very ill-informed human? Or maybe a language barrier kind of thing?

I'm thinking that it's either a brilliant trolling job trying to prove Cunningham's Law, or just barely coherent garbage written mostly by a bot. The thing is, there are actual nuggets of truth in the articles. They're just put into some sort of blender and mixed with a bunch of misinterpretations and terrible organization.

Then I clicked to go back to the home page since I'd just been linked directly to a couple of articles. And then the true majesty of this site hit me: it's an unofficial fan site for the band Fuel. I vaguely remember the band name from the early 2000s, but I don't remember anything about them. A quick search on YouTube tells me everything I needed to remember. It's like emo meets nu-metal or something. So yeah.

And for whatever reason, hung off of this fansite are gems of articles like these:

https://www.fuelrocks.com/types-of-guit ... l-strings/

https://www.fuelrocks.com/what-is-a-pha ... uitar-amp/

https://www.fuelrocks.com/the-many-bene ... tar-strap/
Greg_L

Re: Contender for worst website - FuelRocks

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:44 pm Articles from this website keep popping up in my news feed, since they (on the surface, at least) pertain to my interests in music and guitars. Once I clicked on one of their articles, I was perplexed at the poor quality of the articles. Is this written by a bot/AI? Is it a very ill-informed human? Or maybe a language barrier kind of thing?

I'm thinking that it's either a brilliant trolling job trying to prove Cunningham's Law, or just barely coherent garbage written mostly by a bot. The thing is, there are actual nuggets of truth in the articles. They're just put into some sort of blender and mixed with a bunch of misinterpretations and terrible organization.

Then I clicked to go back to the home page since I'd just been linked directly to a couple of articles. And then the true majesty of this site hit me: it's an unofficial fan site for the band Fuel. I vaguely remember the band name from the early 2000s, but I don't remember anything about them. A quick search on YouTube tells me everything I needed to remember. It's like emo meets nu-metal or something. So yeah.

And for whatever reason, hung off of this fansite are gems of articles like these:

https://www.fuelrocks.com/types-of-guit ... l-strings/

https://www.fuelrocks.com/what-is-a-pha ... uitar-amp/

https://www.fuelrocks.com/the-many-bene ... tar-strap/
Good lord, that phase inverter article should not be allowed for human consumption even as a parody.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:50 pm Good lord, that phase inverter article should not be allowed for human consumption even as a parody.
Hahaha I specifically thought of you when I was trying to figure out what the hell they were talking about :D
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:18 am

Hahaha I specifically thought of you when I was trying to figure out what the hell they were talking about :D
None of that is correct about the phase inverter, nor does it even make any sense pertaining to amps in general.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:50 pm
Good lord, that phase inverter article should not be allowed for human consumption even as a parody.
lol ..... pretty terrible :lollers2:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

"The many benefits of a guitar strap"

Just the sort of article those Big Guitar Strap shills in Fuel would write! "Leave love bleeding in my hands"? More like "leave guitar strap bribes in my hands"!
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I'm really torn between this stuff being written by a bot, or some poor guy with a severe brain injury. I'm mildly obsessed with it.

This gem popped up in my feed today: https://www.fuelrocks.com/the-f-string- ... beginners/

An F String B Guitar? It's total nonsense. Verbal soup repeating random incorrect things about guitar strings and tuning over and over. He's obsessed about the fact that the B string is tuned to a different interval than the rest of them. But he can't seem to ever put together a coherent sentence to describe it.
What Is The B String On A Guitar?
What is the B string on guitar? The third string is also known as the G string because it is the third string. The second string, also known as the B string, is included in the arrangement. The first string is the tenth. This string is also known as the “high E string” or simply as the “E string.” How do the strings E and B compare? The E string is the largest string on a guitar. It is made of a brass-colored metal. The second thinnest string on the B string is extremely thin (the B string is very thin). Why does my B string sound like my E string? If the strings are properly positioned, it is possible that the strings are either too tight or too loose. As a result, the letter E has a B instead of the usual E. If you need to loosen it or tighten it, just tune it until it reaches E.
Then there's another article that shows a picture of a set of black bridge pins and a set of white bridge pins for an acoustic guitar. And the entirety of the article is about acne treatments for blackheads and whiteheads. That's the kind of bizarre mistake I'd expect an AI to make.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

"3. Electric Guitars: Electric guitars can use either metal or nylon strings. However, if you plan on using the guitar for distorted sounds, metal strings are a better option."

Where can I get some nylon strings for my electric guitars?????
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Tadpui wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:36 pm I'm really torn between this stuff being written by a bot, or some poor guy with a severe brain injury. I'm mildly obsessed with it.

This gem popped up in my feed today: https://www.fuelrocks.com/the-f-string- ... beginners/

An F String B Guitar? It's total nonsense. Verbal soup repeating random incorrect things about guitar strings and tuning over and over. He's obsessed about the fact that the B string is tuned to a different interval than the rest of them. But he can't seem to ever put together a coherent sentence to describe it.
What Is The B String On A Guitar?
What is the B string on guitar? The third string is also known as the G string because it is the third string. The second string, also known as the B string, is included in the arrangement. The first string is the tenth. This string is also known as the “high E string” or simply as the “E string.” How do the strings E and B compare? The E string is the largest string on a guitar. It is made of a brass-colored metal. The second thinnest string on the B string is extremely thin (the B string is very thin). Why does my B string sound like my E string? If the strings are properly positioned, it is possible that the strings are either too tight or too loose. As a result, the letter E has a B instead of the usual E. If you need to loosen it or tighten it, just tune it until it reaches E.
Then there's another article that shows a picture of a set of black bridge pins and a set of white bridge pins for an acoustic guitar. And the entirety of the article is about acne treatments for blackheads and whiteheads. That's the kind of bizarre mistake I'd expect an AI to make.
This is amazing. I'm all in.
I'm gonna get in touch to see if... my knowledge contributing strength to stability of tuners in music head of guitar.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

You're not the only person wondering...
Screenshot 2022-11-28 101637.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I guess it could be Fuel exploring alternate revenue streams with an ad-supported blog.

It's not like anyone is clamoring to buy their music.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Armistice wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:47 pm You're not the only person wondering...

Screenshot 2022-11-28 101637.png
Hahaha, I was searching as well and I didn't come across that tweet. It's at least a little comforting to know that I'm not the only one that's confounded by this website. The bad news is that now that I've clicked on so many of their articles, Google keeps serving them up in my feed. So I feel compelled to read yet another brain injury piece of prose and I get even more curious as to who/what is creating these abominations.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I don't know, I've learned a lot from those articles. Thanks Fuel!
Rebel Yell
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

So many people keep saying the phrase “invert the phase” and I just always feel compelled to ask if they have a time machine.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

In the real world, the phase inverter portion of an amp exists to provide two equal but out of phase signals for the push/pull operation of the power stage...if the amp is designed that way. It has everything to do with the operation of an amp, and nothing to do with tone.

https://www.mojotone.com/blog/what-does ... e-inverter
Rebel Yell
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:42 pm In the real world, the phase inverter portion of an amp exists to provide two equal but out of phase signals for the push/pull operation of the power stage...if the amp is designed that way. It has everything to do with the operation of an amp, and nothing to do with tone.

https://www.mojotone.com/blog/what-does ... e-inverter
Would that not be a polarity inverter?
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:44 pm

Technically, yeah it probably is actually a polarity inverter. It's just been called "phase inverter" for so long that's just what it is now. It's one signal, split into two as a mirror image. Then those two get summed back together in the output transformer as one mega signal for your speakers.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:22 pm
CrowsofFritz wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:44 pm

Technically, yeah it probably is actually a polarity inverter. It's just been called "phase inverter" for so long that's just what it is now. It's one signal, split into two as a mirror image. Then those two get summed back together in the output transformer as one mega signal for your speakers.
Gonna phase invert my tremolo to annoy the linguists.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Well doing some research...one explanation I've seen that makes some sense is that in an AC audio circuit (like a tube amp), polarity is called phase because AC can and often does exist riding on a positive voltage DC reference. So while AC voltage swings up and down, if it's riding high enough on a positive DC reference, even at it's lowest swing it won't dip into negative voltage. So it never really flips "polarity". They call this phase. Polarity, as a term, seems to be reserved more for DC voltage specifically. A phase inverter does use positive DC voltage to charge the plates of a tube, but it's the AC signal that carries your sound, and that AC signal is riding on top of high DC voltage. If we use a Fender Deluxe Reverb as an example, the phase inverter's AC output is riding on top of around 200 volts DC. The lower swing of the AC signal riding on top of 200 volts DC is not dipping below 0v so it never really changes polarity.

Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

sure ..... that's kinda like in some recording machines like reel to reel, the AC ( audio ) rides on a bias voltage