Digital Archive

General recording topics.
JD01

Digital Archive

Post by JD01 »

Just wondering if it's possible to create a robust digital project archive.

We've all got a bunch of projects with different VSTs, most of us in Reaper.

Lots of VSTs require online activation codes etc so seem to be reliant on various companies continuing to exist.

Would it be possible to have an archive disk with uninstalled downloads of Reaper, Superior Drummer, various compressor VSTs etc saved on there so that in the case of a total computer death you could always resurrect projects in future irrespective of whether companies still exist?

I use a distortion compressor on vocals sometimes called Camel Crusher. I don't think its available anymore. So when I get a new machine I don't think it'll work.
Greg_L

Re: Digital Archive

Post by Greg_L »

I have all of my plugs and installers and codes backed up on a hard drive.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

If the uninstalled stuff doesn't need to go online to install I assume it'd be fine but if they need to be online to be activated then I doubt it'd work if the business no longer exists or supports its product. I do have a backup of everything recording related though I don't have anything that's subscription, dongle of online installer based.
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

JD01 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:08 am Would it be possible to have an archive disk with uninstalled downloads of Reaper, Superior Drummer, various compressor VSTs etc saved on there so that in the case of a total computer death you could always resurrect projects in future irrespective of whether companies still exist?
Anything that allows you free choice of where on your PC to install it should be fine if you installed it all on a distinct disk. You could then copy that disk and migrate it between devices.

If a software has a "mobile install" option, that is especially viable.
However, if the software checks for major hardware changes (e.g. Windows does this), then this strategy becomes pretty much unworkable.