HEY .... KNOWLEDGABLE PLUG IN PEOPLE!

General recording topics.
Lt. Bob

HEY .... KNOWLEDGABLE PLUG IN PEOPLE!

Post by Lt. Bob »

Sales at Waves .... well they always have sales but still it's a good one so:

Any WAVES plug ins ya'll think are great and anyone should have?

Also Focusrite has a sale on their FAST bundle .... anyone know about that?

Should I buy anything or are all plug ins the same?
CrowsofFritz

Re: HEY .... KNOWLEDGABLE PLUG IN PEOPLE!

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Just know that WAVES has this weird upgrade system where you’ll have to pay for the plugins you bought again if you ever upgrade far enough. I imagine you’ll be using your PC a whole, so it’s probably not a huge issue for ya.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:50 pm Just know that WAVES has this weird upgrade system where you’ll have to pay for the plugins you bought again if you ever upgrade far enough. I imagine you’ll be using your PC a whole, so it’s probably not a huge issue for ya.
yeah my PC is brand new gen12 state of the art .. the TadPro 5000
Not gonna need another one very soon I don't think plus I have good support with Tad Tech
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Sounds like Reaper. And I guess you can always NOT upgrade. I mean, they do what they do, so not sure what you'd get with your upgrade anyway.

Can't help on the actual plugins, alas...
rayc

Post by rayc »

Check whether they need, dongles, virtual dongles, are subscription based etc. before buying.
Cheers
rayc
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

The one Waves plugin I use constantly is the L2 Ultramaximizer. I use it on the master bus of every mix to bring the volume up to normal levels. I've tried a few others over the last couple of years that are fancier and have more bells and whistles on them, but I keep coming back to L2.

Looks like they're only dropping the price on it by $6 for the Black Friday sale though. Still, I'd pay $30 for it if I had to do it again.

And yeah, Waves' licensing has to be the most infuriating in the industry. I don't understand why they haven't gone to a convenient installer like Toontrack and Arturia. I just don't upgrade mine. I'm still on V9 from several years ago and they've worked through Win7, Win8.1, Win10 and now Win11. It's mainly a pain if you ever have to reinstall them after they become "legacy" versions...tracking down and using the legacy installer gets more frustrating every time I have to do it.
paulman

Post by paulman »

I have three Waves plugins, but I just now realized I forgot to move them onto the Death Star when I built it, so I haven't used them in a couple of years. I had to log into Waves to see what I own. They are DeBreath, PuigChild Compressor (a Fairchild emulation), and EMI TG12345 (emulation of the console from Abbey Road from the Abbey Road album through the 70's). I stopped using the PuigChild because I got the UA Fairchild which is better (and I use it on EVERYTHING - every instrument, every master). I did always like the TG12345, I used to always use it in mastering to try to get that elusive "full yet clear" sound. Not sure if I'd still like it now that I've kept evolving my skills without it. And DeBreath, well, I got that because in the beginning I used to pump the shit out of my vocals with several compressors so it made sibilance a huge issue. I've stopped doing that.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

paulman wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:06 am I have three Waves plugins, but I just now realized I forgot to move them onto the Death Star when I built it, so I haven't used them in a couple of years. I had to log into Waves to see what I own. They are DeBreath, PuigChild Compressor (a Fairchild emulation), and EMI TG12345 (emulation of the console from Abbey Road from the Abbey Road album through the 70's). I stopped using the PuigChild because I got the UA Fairchild which is better (and I use it on EVERYTHING - every instrument, every master). I did always like the TG12345, I used to always use it in mastering to try to get that elusive "full yet clear" sound. Not sure if I'd still like it now that I've kept evolving my skills without it. And DeBreath, well, I got that because in the beginning I used to pump the shit out of my vocals with several compressors so it made sibilance a huge issue. I've stopped doing that.
Funny, I’m using the REDD plug-in, which is before the Abbey Road album.
paulman

Post by paulman »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:15 am Funny, I’m using the REDD plug-in, which is before the Abbey Road album.

Seems like I had a version of that on my Mac. I'm now realizing how much I didn't move over to my PC.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I bought their Abbey Road bundle back when Chad first built my puter ..... I wonder if there's a comp in there.

And I wonder if I can find it ...... lol

I'm learnin' quick guys ....... I'm working on my daughters song 'Chemo for Christmas' and it's requiring me to know a bit ...... so I'll finally get this going and post a deluge of recordings to the 6 people that'll listen!
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:45 am I bought their Abbey Road bundle back when Chad first built my puter ..... I wonder if there's a comp in there.

And I wonder if I can find it ...... lol

I'm learnin' quick guys ....... I'm working on my daughters song 'Chemo for Christmas' and it's requiring me to know a bit ...... so I'll finally get this going and post a deluge of recordings to the 6 people that'll listen!
Yep, there’s the compressor in there. And that REDD plug-in I mentioned along with the one Paul did, too. There’s also a tape emulator, saturation among others. Really good stuff in there.