New Honey Hunters - Unravelling

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
Armistice

New Honey Hunters - Unravelling

Post by Armistice »

FILES REMOVED. Thanks for playing... :lollers:

Another one from the batch of music I recorded a good six months ago which are only now getting lyricked and sung.

This was the second one which featured higher than normal levels of piano playing - although I can't now remember if I wrote it on piano or on guitar, and which was recorded when, or even exactly how to play it. :suspicious: I've set myself a task to go back and work that out and write it down somewhere... :eep:

The lyrics more or less took form from finding something that fitted the chorus and then working backwords ( :lollers: ) to find something the song might be about. We all work that way, right? :biggrin: Not long after I wrote it I had worked out a rough lyrical/melodic idea based around the opening line of the song being "Funny how..." and it was only when I came back to it a week or so ago that I remembered that thought. I have, of course, already recorded another song called "Funny How" so I had to come up with something else. :headwall:

Anyways... cheers ears... :like:

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Next version with the CMX plug referenced elsewhere, but dialled back a bit, and a few other minor tweaks, mainly to do with mastering.
Last edited by Armistice on Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
vomitHatSteve

Re: New Honey Hunters - Unravelling

Post by vomitHatSteve »

That volume roll-off on the guitar stab at 0:10 is kinda weird

The mix sounds good.
The bgvox are very lush.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Busy bass early on.
The piano parts are good.
Nice kick tone...not too much click.
Organ is a nice touch.
The bvox around "years go by" are cool.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

rayc wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:29 pm Busy bass early on.
The piano parts are good.
Nice kick tone...not too much click.
Organ is a nice touch.
The bvox around "years go by" are cool.

Cheers - finally found a decent B3 VST and got it to work with a midi controller and foot pedal to do the sort of Leslie speaker thing.

Incidentally, I was down at Mooloolaba Music on the weekend and they had a real Leslie cabinet there. More than $6k! (Now on special for Black Friday - there's that US cultural / retail imperialism again! https://www.mooloolabamusic.com.au/lesl ... rer-walnut.) That's a lot of money for a single effect.
vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:52 am That volume roll-off on the guitar stab at 0:10 is kinda weird

The mix sounds good.
The bgvox are very lush.
Thanks, but I have no idea what you're referring to at 0.10 - I'm just playing an A#m barre chord, no volume roll off apart from taking my fingers off the strings.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Got nothing on this one Armi, its good. I'm also getting a weird volume roll off effect, but its just a feature.
Like the bass-playing/tone on this too.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

JD01 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:47 am Got nothing on this one Armi, its good. I'm also getting a weird volume roll off effect, but its just a feature.
Hmmm... I'll have another listen in the morning to see what this thing might be...

Cheers
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:14 am
JD01 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:47 am Got nothing on this one Armi, its good. I'm also getting a weird volume roll off effect, but its just a feature.
Hmmm... I'll have another listen in the morning to see what this thing might be...

Cheers
Don't worry about it. Its not a mix issue, it just caught my ear.
Mr Clean

Post by Mr Clean »

I can also hear what the other are talking about but I like it. Sounds like a volume roll and appears a couple of other times in the track.

I really like the track. Very Bowie-esque in the verses and nicely changing for the the chorus. Great bassline too. Nothing here to not like for me.

Well done. :coolstorybro:
Cheap Gear - In A Square Room! Getting the job done! :coolstorybro:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Mr Clean wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:16 pm I can also hear what the other are talking about but I like it. Sounds like a volume roll and appears a couple of other times in the track.

I really like the track. Very Bowie-esque in the verses and nicely changing for the the chorus. Great bassline too. Nothing here to not like for me.

Thanks MC...

I just wish I knew what people were referring to. An exact time stamp would be handy... :like:

I did look more closely at the guitar tracks and there are a couple of spots where there was a string scrape or screech where I've done a sharp notch - but they're right at the end of phrases as I'm moving to the next chord. Wonder if it's that. Not really audible in the mix, I'd have thought, although you can hear them solo'd.

There is not, however, one of these things at 0.10. :confused:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:12 pm
Mr Clean wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:16 pm I can also hear what the other are talking about but I like it. Sounds like a volume roll and appears a couple of other times in the track.

Thanks MC...

I just wish I knew what people were referring to. An exact time stamp would be handy... :like:

I did look more closely at the guitar tracks and there are a couple of spots where there was a string scrape or screech where I've done a sharp notch - but they're right at the end of phrases as I'm moving to the next chord. Wonder if it's that. Not really audible in the mix, I'd have thought, although you can hear them solo'd.

The one at 10s is the most obvious, there's another one at 35s. I think its just where you're lifting up your barre to move chords.
You're a much cleaner player than me so you're probably playing the chords at clearly as you can, that's fine. I just played the chords myself now, I'd naturally instinctively, do a light barely audible upstrum on the muted strings between chords which would probably make it less abrupt.

Anyway, don't worry about it, its absolutely fine. I wouldn't worry about string noise during changes either. But then I find volume notches really frustrating and generally only use them as a special effect.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

JD01 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:48 am
Armistice wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:12 pm

Thanks MC...

The one at 10s is the most obvious, there's another one at 35s. I think its just where you're lifting up your barre to move chords.
You're a much cleaner player than me so you're probably playing the chords at clearly as you can, that's fine. I just played the chords myself now, I'd naturally instinctively, do a light barely audible upstrum on the muted strings between chords which would probably make it less abrupt.

Anyway, don't worry about it, its absolutely fine. I wouldn't worry about string noise during changes either. But then I find volume notches really frustrating and generally only use them as a special effect.
Yeah, 0:35 is another one (tho less distinct than the one at 0:10)
It's happening when you transition between the two chords. It's not string noise. I think just on a few chord changes, you're muting the first chord a little more aggressively than I was expecting, and there's not as much tail as it feels like there should be?
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:45 pm
JD01 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:48 am

Yeah, 0:35 is another one (tho less distinct than the one at 0:10)
It's happening when you transition between the two chords. It's not string noise. I think just on a few chord changes, you're muting the first chord a little more aggressively than I was expecting, and there's not as much tail as it feels like there should be?
OK, now I get it. That is just the sound of me playing clean-ish full barre chords on an electric guitar and going from G#m to A and deliberately muting the current chord by lifting fingers/using right palm before hitting the next one - because that's the sound I'm trying to achieve. Happens all the way through the song. :lollers:

And I don't hear it as a "thing" the way you do because I'm playing it exactly the way I intended to play it and so it just sounds exactly like it's supposed to sound. And some are more noticeable than others because I'm not a robot. :nyuk:

It's a revolutionary technique - controlling ringing notes. I daresay it'll be named after me when I become famous 10 years after I die and I'll finally get a wikipedia page. :biggrin:

I'll put the future URL here so you can check regularly... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armistice_technique
:wink:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Madness! What's the point of distortion, delay, and reverb if not to cover up our sloppy playing?
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

Guitars sound terrific. Vocal sounds great too. So do the drums.

I would just lighten up the low end of the bass. It seems just a bit heavy for a mix like this.

Might sound cool if you double track the lead vocal in the chorus.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

TripleM wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:29 pm Guitars sound terrific. Vocal sounds great too. So do the drums.

I would just lighten up the low end of the bass. It seems just a bit heavy for a mix like this.

Might sound cool if you double track the lead vocal in the chorus.
Noted, thanks Trip - one of the issues of not having 8" monitor speakers is getting that bass level correct. Haven't taken any of these "off system" yet to check on other things but I'm sure that will be revealing.

Cheers