My band stuff

Weekend warriors or full-timers, if you perform live we want to hear about it!
Post your pics or videos, tell us about your gear and how you set it up! (or how that red head jumped up on stage just as your wife walked in) Every gig has a story please share them here.
Greg_L

Re: My band stuff

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:39 am Just now taking a tardy listen to this after having my head buried for a while now. The recordings sound really great, nice energy to the songs. And I think that I know that guitarist! :D

Well done man, I hope the algorithm finds this stuff and serves it up to more people. I added my likes, for what it's worth. The algorithm seems to like likes. Tell the publisher to keep dropping videos to that channel, as that seems to be the other thing that the algorithm likes: frequency. Make meaningless shorts out of the live set: "check out this guitar solo!" "2 minutes of stage banter!" "awesome drum fill!". YT is trying to compete with TikTok and is pushing their shorts like mad. That'll get the vids in front of more eyeballs.
Cool thanks for the tips. :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

I'm back from sussing out the other bands on the One Bad Eye Productions Utub page...they are lucky to have Toxic Origins on the roster...the other bands didn't have nearly as together a stage sound as you blokes and, call me old fashioned, I like singers singing.
Seems OBE P collects pointy guitar bands.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:38 am I'm back from sussing out the other bands on the One Bad Eye Productions Utub page...they are lucky to have Toxic Origins on the roster...the other bands didn't have nearly as together a stage sound as you blokes and, call me old fashioned, I like singers singing.
Seems OBE P collects pointy guitar bands.
That's just what goes down in Texas right now - a fucking shit ton of pointy guitar hair flinging thrash metal and screamogrowler vocal bands. It's a disease. Even in the punk scene it's a lot of stuff verging perilously close to just being metal.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Here's one I didn't even know had been released. It's on some Mexican compilation? Okay whatever. Arriba!
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

That's pretty cool..plenty of dynamics.
Which guitar are you?
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:37 pm That's pretty cool..plenty of dynamics.
Which guitar are you?
Thanks Ray. The Red Room song is somehow our most popular song so far. We're supposed to shoot a video for it in January.

I'm the right channel rhythm guitar and the second "faster part" lead at the end.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Our new album finally got out. Spin it as background noise wherever you stream and get us some views please.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

I had to laugh at "shringe".
The sample sounds good - I can understand the singer.
Can it be had in physical form?
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:28 pm Our new album finally got out. Spin it as background noise wherever you stream and get us some views please.
Spinning...

You're guitar in this band, right?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:03 pm I had to laugh at "shringe".
The sample sounds good - I can understand the singer.
Can it be had in physical form?
What's weird is how that typo shows up like that but it's not in the data or other artwork. I don't know how that happened.

Physical copies will be vinyl only and they aren't ready yet. The vinyl will have four or five more songs though.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Armistice wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:44 pm

Spinning...

You're guitar in this band, right?
Thanks. Yeah one of the guitars. Right channel, and most of the leads.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:56 pm Physical copies will be vinyl only and they aren't ready yet. The vinyl will have four or five more songs though.
Let me know when - I'd like a piece of plastic.
I've played all of the youtube vid of the album...cool.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:00 pm
Greg_L wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:56 pm Physical copies will be vinyl only and they aren't ready yet. The vinyl will have four or five more songs though.
Let me know when - I'd like a piece of plastic.
I've played all of the youtube vid of the album...cool.
:coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Is that Lights Out song the same core riff as Psych Ward? Are you pillaging Gregor the Terror for your other band?!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:18 pm Is that Lights Out song the same core riff as Psych Ward? Are you pillaging Gregor the Terror for your other band?!
Lol no not the same. I didn't write Lights Out anyway.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Listening on Spotify - really good. You started the album off by shredding!
Did you record this?

I like the artwork too, very late 80s/early 90s.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:18 am Listening on Spotify - really good. You started the album off by shredding!
Did you record this?

Thanks lol. I did record it at our practice space. We built a 20-input rig in the room and that's where we record. It's like half live, half overdubbed. I mixed it here in my usual fashion and that's it.

It's also, laughably, strangely, gotten a lot of attention for the art and title. It would appear that people are offended by their erroneous inference that we're making fun of substance abuse. What? Yeah. Idiots. The "record company" has told us they've never gotten so many messages and emails WTF'ing a release. We wrote a stupid statement, not apologizing, but explaining and they're supposed to put it out I guess.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:26 am
JD01 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:18 am Listening on Spotify - really good. You started the album off by shredding!
Did you record this?

Thanks lol. I did record it at our practice space. We built a 20-input rig in the room and that's where we record. It's like half live, half overdubbed. I mixed it here in my usual fashion and that's it.

It's also, laughably, strangely, gotten a lot of attention for the art and title. It would appear that people are offended by their erroneous inference that we're making fun of substance abuse. What? Yeah. Idiots. The "record company" has told us they've never gotten so many messages and emails WTF'ing a release. We wrote a stupid statement, not apologizing, but explaining and they're supposed to put it out I guess.
haha, I just thought it looks like a No Use For A Name cover or something like that.
Record company? So are they just promoting it? I'm guessing you own the masters. Anyway, controversy is good!

You got a link to the statement?
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:26 am
Well, shoot! You should have talked to Needlejuice records. The only problem they might have had is that the art may be too on the nose!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:29 am
haha, I just thought it looks like a No Use For A Name cover or something like that.
Record company? So are they just promoting it? I'm guessing you own the masters. Anyway, controversy is good!

You got a link to the statement?
I've been instructed to not post the statement, but I'll PM it to you if I can find it. But it basically explains that the title comes from one of our songs which is a true autobiographical tale of his own struggles. It's not mocking, it's not an insult, it's a true fucking story. If anyone could and should be able to relate to substance abuse it's the punk rock community. But not these days. Everyone's gotta be offended by something.

The art came from a guy in Austin who saw us play and he took it upon himself to whip up some art for us. We didn't ask, he just did it. And he's really good so we accepted it. We had no ideas for art direction or anything so we just took whatever. Artists are always eager to get their stuff out as an album cover. Zombies were not on our radar but we like cartoons and horror movies so it seemed to be fine. He also did a four-panel drawing of us as zombies and it looks amazing. That's gonna be a t-shirt or saved for something else. I wasn't involved in any of it so I think that's pretty much how it went down. My involvement with the visual artwork was "yeah it looks great let's go with it". I don't actually care.

I put record company in quotes because they are not really our record company. They're more like our distribution company, but they have a huge reach. We have a distribution contract but they don't own anything and they can't dictate anything we do. I guess they can drop us, but they don't really do much that we can't do ourselves. They are footing the bill for vinyl and videos though, so maybe we hang around a bit longer. They have asked that maybe we do a different cover. We say no. They distribute and promote tons of hardcore bands and our shit is mild compared to say, Millions of Dead Cops, who is also on their roster. We also, according to their own stats, have more spins and clicks and listens than anyone else on their roster, so...??? It doesn't translate to money, but it's something. Not bad for a middle aged dad punk band that really doesn't do anything. You know who likes us? Wattie from The Exploited, and GBH likes us, and Verbal Abuse and Fang and all sorts of old school dudes. They spin us on their podcasts and playlists and shit.
Rebel Yell