My band stuff

Weekend warriors or full-timers, if you perform live we want to hear about it!
Post your pics or videos, tell us about your gear and how you set it up! (or how that red head jumped up on stage just as your wife walked in) Every gig has a story please share them here.
JD01

Re: My band stuff

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:02 am
JD01 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:18 am Fuck them. You should put various posts on your website along with the original album art explaining what they've done.
It's coming. We're gonna play nice for a minute but we got people sharpening the knives....
I listened to it again this morning on Spotify. It just looks shit with only half the album title, its become just a random meaningless phrase.

Did you retain all of your Spotify stats? You had quite a few listens on the album (they can't all be Shan!) have you gone back to zero?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:34 am
I listened to it again this morning on Spotify. It just looks shit with only half the album title, its become just a random meaningless phrase.

Did you retain all of your Spotify stats? You had quite a few listens on the album (they can't all be Shan!) have you gone back to zero?
No idea, I don't keep track of that stuff. It could be one or one million and I'd never know. I don't even have a spotify account.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Nah, this is fucking whack dude.

If this label is going to be the one pressing your vinyl i would call it off and shop around for someone who will do the original album title. I am not interested in buying disinfected greg stuff. I just am not going to do it. it's ~~just~~ a fucking album title i understand but it's your art. not anyone elses to fuck with or take liberties with.

Buddy. I am so pissed right now. Like blood boiling. I fucking hate people who feel the need to sanitization someone elses business. FFFFFFFFF :mad2: :headwall:
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:27 pm Nah, this is fucking whack dude.

If this label is going to be the one pressing your vinyl i would call it off and shop around for someone who will do the original album title. I am not interested in buying disinfected greg stuff. I just am not going to do it. it's ~~just~~ a fucking album title i understand but it's your art. not anyone elses to fuck with or take liberties with.

Buddy. I am so pissed right now. Like blood boiling. I fucking hate people who feel the need to sanitization someone elses business. FFFFFFFFF :mad2: :headwall:
Yeah what's really fucked up is that for four years they've paid nearly zero attention to us. We just keep hammering away basically all by ourselves, we ask for nothing. Then we finish what is inarguably the best sounding record on their entire roster, all by ourselves with zero help from them, with truly original hand-drawn artwork, and now they decide to notice us? :facepalm:

We have wheels in motion. We have some pretty heavy duty names in the punk world ready to drop some bombs on them via social media and podcasts.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Just getting a moment to read thru this before I head for the forever gig.

First off I would go ballistic if some douche censored my art without even bothering to talk to me about it.

Second, if this comes out on vinyl you damned well better hook me up with one ( happily pay for it of course )

OK ..... that.s my 3 minutes of spare time .... gotta go mow.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:50 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:27 pm Nah, this is fucking whack dude.

Yeah what's really fucked up is that for four years they've paid nearly zero attention to us. We just keep hammering away basically all by ourselves, we ask for nothing. Then we finish what is inarguably the best sounding record on their entire roster, all by ourselves with zero help from them, with truly original hand-drawn artwork, and now they decide to notice us? :facepalm:

We have wheels in motion. We have some pretty heavy duty names in the punk world ready to drop some bombs on them via social media and podcasts.
Please provide links when the time comes. :happytrees: :coolstorybro:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:56 am I don't even have a spotify account.
I was really resistant to getting an account, I was always one of those people with loads of CDs falling out of broken cases all over the car.
But... it is really good and if you're a music lover (I'm pretty sure we all are here) its actually really good value too. I'd definitely buy at least an album a month (I still have millions of CDs in the attic) and its about the same sort of price as that for pretty much all the music that has ever been released and everything that will ever be released.

Shit deal for artists though... but then artists have always got a shit deal, that's probably more a reflection on the industry in general.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

We have a Napster/Rhapsody account from like 12 years ago and it's still good. It's pretty much the same thing as Spotify.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Ah, I had no idea that Napster was still a thing. I think I last used it in about 1999.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:54 am Ah, I had no idea that Napster was still a thing. I think I last used it in about 1999.
That was illegal napster. Now it's just a streaming service like anything else. I'm not sure how or why we still have it but it works and has pretty much anything I ever wanna listen to.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:57 am
JD01 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:54 am Ah, I had no idea that Napster was still a thing. I think I last used it in about 1999.
That was illegal napster. Now it's just a streaming service like anything else. I'm not sure how or why we still have it but it works and has pretty much anything I ever wanna listen to.
Yeah, I used Napster for a while, then I switched to Audio Galaxy. Then I went back to buying CDs. Then there was a phase of everyone had their entire CD collection on a hard drive and people would swap hard drives. Then I got Spotify.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I haven't bought a CD since maybe 2003-2004.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

I'm still a hold out. Still buying CDs and LP where I can.
I played the album through on Utub again though.
Cheers
rayc
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I buy cd's of my friends bands. that's about it. LP's of stuff i absolutely love. and also of my buds.

Sadly i am all in on Spotify and bit of YouTube.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

That's a real irritation that the label is such a bunch of idiots. Best of luck finding a real label!

I'm actually starting to move back to CDs after 20 years of MP3s. I never liked streaming services so I don't have accounts for any of them. I bought a CD drive for my computer and I've been listening that way lately. I'd missed the act of picking an album and playing the whole thing. MP3s and streaming on shuffle is like ADD fuel. I still haven't found all of my CDs after our first move...maybe by this time next year I'll have found them all after packing and moving again.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I've been gradually listening to CDs less and less. I still buy them, especially from friends, but now my car doesn't even have a functional CD player.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

You know what's worse? The stupid idiotic resurgence of cassette demos. People in young bands hand me cassettes all the time as if it's cute and kitschy and edgy, and I'm like, you stupid moron GenZ motherfucking dumbfuck. You have no idea how fucking terrible these things are and no one can play them anyway. The best thing about cassettes was we could get away from vinyl. The best thing about CDs was we could get the fuck away from cassettes! It peaked with CDs. They were the best of all worlds. Small, portable, and they sound good. CDs are great, Cassettes are trash.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I've been using the word "fetish" (not in the sex sense) to describe cassettes. You buy a tape from a band because you want to have their music in a physical format, but you never intend to actually listen to it in that format; you're just gonna stream it of course. Maybe you'll use the download code that the tape comes with to get the flacs from Bandcamp for your archive.

From that perspective, tapes are good because they're smaller and "cheaper" than CDs. But I agree, CDs are technologically the most superior home listening format.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:18 pm I've been using the word "fetish" (not in the sex sense) to describe cassettes.
You mean you DON'T run home as quick as you can and forcibly ram the cassette up your arse? What sort of fan are you?
rayc

Post by rayc »

I read some stats this week that 50% of "vinyl" remains virgin. Half the people who buy the stuff only do it to feed the fetish as vHS described. They don't have the gear to play it and, deep down, hope that the album can be redeemed for huge $$$ when the need comes.
I'm trying to spend a $50 voucher for a retail store that does CDs n LPs and a million other things but am having a hard time finding value for money.
Cheers
rayc