What Rayc Wants

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
CrowsofFritz

What Rayc Wants

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Hey @rayc listen to these bass tests I've done and see if any get close to the thump tone you're after. 3 were on an amp and 3 were on DI. One with fingers, one with a felt pick, and one with a felt pick and mute.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
vomitHatSteve

Re: What Rayc Wants

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I generally like the amped ones better. They have some growl to them.

The Finger DI take is probably the cleanest - it doesn't really have its own personality, which can work for some mixes.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:34 am I generally like the amped ones better. They have some growl to them.

The Finger DI take is probably the cleanest - it doesn't really have its own personality, which can work for some mixes.
I like the amped ones better, too. If I were to use a generic bass for a song, I’d definitely choose finger DI, but I think MUTE AMP is probably closest to what rayc is after.
rayc

Post by rayc »

That's a lot of effort to go to @CrowsofFritz .
Closest to the tone in that Scott Walker is the muted DI then muted amp.
I have an OLD bass, made in the late 60s or early 70s. It's an Emperador and has a special cover for the bridge that used to contain a foam mute...it'd push down on the strings from inside the cover. I used an under string mute on my Hofner Knock Off for the track.
I'll pull out the Emperador and reapply some foam and give it a go...it's also strung with flats so it'll be tonally different.
Thanks.
Cheers
rayc
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

rayc wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:49 pm That's a lot of effort to go to @CrowsofFritz .
Closest to the tone in that Scott Walker is the muted DI then muted amp.
I have an OLD bass, made in the late 60s or early 70s. It's an Emperador and has a special cover for the bridge that used to contain a foam mute...it'd push down on the strings from inside the cover. I used an under string mute on my Hofner Knock Off for the track.
I'll pull out the Emperador and reapply some foam and give it a go...it's also strung with flats so it'll be tonally different.
Thanks.
I’ve been experimenting with using either foam or something else. Like a sock lmao.
rayc

Post by rayc »

I'm getting closer...flat wound strings, bridge cover foam mute AND palm mute.
I'm currently working through finger, thumb, hard, soft & felt picks.
THUMB is the easiest to palm mute with...
Amp settings - hmmm that'll take some time.
The bass needed some work to get playable...action was SUPER high from the 7th fret and the bridge was adjusted down to the max. I removed the adjustment wheels which took it lower and there's not fret buzz where it's super low at the 1st 5.
It may need a neck adjustment but if it's super low at the 1st fret and quite high at the join to the body I'm not sure which way to go.
Research time.
Cheers
rayc
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

rayc wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:09 am I'm getting closer...flat wound strings, bridge cover foam mute AND palm mute.
I'm currently working through finger, thumb, hard, soft & felt picks.
THUMB is the easiest to palm mute with...
Amp settings - hmmm that'll take some time.
The bass needed some work to get playable...action was SUPER high from the 7th fret and the bridge was adjusted down to the max. I removed the adjustment wheels which took it lower and there's not fret buzz where it's super low at the 1st 5.
It may need a neck adjustment but if it's super low at the 1st fret and quite high at the join to the body I'm not sure which way to go.
Research time.
Nice! What amp are you running through?