Mass Intonation Event

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Re: Mass Intonation Event

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:03 pm
JD01 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:04 am ... this lot was at the edge of my skill and beyond my patience.

Ya' know I've thought about this a fair amount since this thread came up .....why do so few guitarists these days know how to do much about the tech end of fixing their guitars and this statement prolly covers it for the most part.

When I learned to do all this stuff I was 12-18 years old and it was essentially an activity for me that I loved and enjoyed doing .... patience wasn't an issue because even if it took longer than expected, that was great because it was simply more time doing something I enjoyed.

Like a golfer gets better the more he plays and it's easy to get more time at it because that's the very thing he enjoys.

And now that I do have less energy for working hard at new things I already know how to do the git stuff so it's easy and quick.
And I've always had lots of guitars even way back when.

So maybe getting into it at a later age ( having lots of gits to work on I mean) lessens the desire to do this stuff even though it really is simple.
It's just time. I get an hour or two spare a day. Usually before bed. I don't have tools for levelling and crowning. I can get a tech to get my guitars spot on, then they're never gonna drift far so I can deal with any intonation or truss rod tweaks myself.

If I had more time on my hands, like if I didn't have young kids, I'd happily do it myself.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

lol .... if I had money I'd happily pay someone to do it!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:14 pm lol .... if I had money I'd happily pay someone to do it!
Haha. Imagine having a tech to rock your wah wah back and forth for you.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Life is a series of choices - and two of the primary choices are how to spend your money and how to spend your time, and at different times of your life your priorities around these two in particular will change.

As far as guitar teching goes, I go as far as neck adjustment and not much further. Not interested in dealing with frets, apart from polishing them - "better" things to do, don't have the tools, don't have the space - and it's the sort of stuff that doesn't need doing all that often anyway, so I'd probably forget how in between attempts. I haven't had anything involving a guitar tech done to any of my guitars in about 7 or 8 years now - but I don't play them that much so they don't require that much maintenance anyway.

@rayc can always drop his guitars in to me and I could muck them up even worse for him... :eep: :biggrin:
rayc

Post by rayc »

I'm about to do round two.
Checking the six I've done so far.
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

JD01 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:00 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:14 pm lol .... if I had money I'd happily pay someone to do it!
Haha. Imagine having a tech to rock your wah wah back and forth for you.
So, arena rock?

Actually... now that I think of it, I saw a dubstep show once where all the DJs were doing was messing with filters while the track played. It'd be funny to see a DJ who themself "lip syncs" by having a tech pushing the play button back stage
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Techs often control a player's pedals and channel switching and stuff. It's usually some super famous big name guy that could and/or should do it themselves but they're too busy peacocking around a massive stage.
Rebel Yell