New Honey Hunters - You Monster

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
Armistice

New Honey Hunters - You Monster

Post by Armistice »

FILES REMOVED. Thanks for playing... :lollers:

So this is the second song I've written called "You Monster" - the first, remaining, to this day, the only song I've never actually finished (that got a significant way in, that is...). A bunch of you actually sang on it - Bubba, VHS (who did a spectacular 17 part harmony for me which I've always felt guilty about not using... :frown: )

Anyway, I've always liked the title, so here's "You Monster Take 2" - a completely different song

One of the perils of recording the music way way ahead of any idea of the vocals / melody / lyrics is that when you get there, you have to force words into the structure - and if I was writing the song now, I probably do it differently and have about a dozen pre-choruses and instrumental passages built into it, with more verses... But... :lollers: for reasons not clear to me know I started it with a chorus, without any actual singing, then went into the verse as an introduction and ended up with an ending that was a bit too long... :biggrin: Possibly I could have edited it, but it gave me the opportunity to do stupid stuff, so I kept it.

Sigh... :wank:

Have at it.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Version 2 below - I've attended to the various points people have raised, including, hopefully, somewhat anyway, the "band falling down the stairs" comment from Greg once I thought about what that possibly meant ... :lollers:
Last edited by Armistice on Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
paulman

Re: New Honey Hunters - You Monster

Post by paulman »

Nice pristine sound! I like the delay on the guitar, and the vocal sounds just right. I'm listening on Apple AirPods, and this sounds better than I've gotten anything of mine to sound on them.
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

I think all the guitar sounds are terrific. Bass sounds great too - perfect level.

Great snare sound. Kick is a little tough to hear. Cymbals are nice and clear.

Vocal is very clear. Maybe just a bit harsh in the high mids? Just a bit.

Kind of a long intro.

The lead-ish guitar thingy (comes in about 2;57) could maybe come up a db.

Overall an excellent sound.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Needs more kick drum.

The sounds are all pretty good. Besides the kick the mix is okay. My problem is this song never gels. The weird drum patters and sputtering guitars never lock into a groove. It makes it sound messy to my ears. This sounds like a band falling down the stairs.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Armistice wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:30 pm So this is the second song I've written called "You Monster" - the first, remaining, to this day, the only song I've never actually finished (that got a significant way in, that is...). A bunch of you actually sang on it - Bubba, VHS (who did a spectacular 17 part harmony for me which I've always felt guilty about not using... :frown: )
I vaguely wondered what happened to that song. lol!

I'll add another +1 for bumping up the kick.

Everything else seems to be pretty well balanced. Maybe vocals could be slightly quieter. TripM is probably right about the solo. I'd shoot for trying to get it level with the vocal part when it's alone.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

paulman wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:11 pm Nice pristine sound! I like the delay on the guitar, and the vocal sounds just right. I'm listening on Apple AirPods, and this sounds better than I've gotten anything of mine to sound on them.
Thanks paulman... :like:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

TripleM wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:19 pm I think all the guitar sounds are terrific. Bass sounds great too - perfect level.

Great snare sound. Kick is a little tough to hear. Cymbals are nice and clear.

Vocal is very clear. Maybe just a bit harsh in the high mids? Just a bit.

Kind of a long intro.

The lead-ish guitar thingy (comes in about 2;57) could maybe come up a db.

Overall an excellent sound.
Yeah, the kick was about 3 or 4 dB south of where it should have been - not sure how that slipped through. :confused: I've adjusted it and taken a scoop out of the high mids as well. And boosted the "solo" a little. Haven't posted a new version yet though.

Cheers
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:59 am Needs more kick drum.

The sounds are all pretty good. Besides the kick the mix is okay. My problem is this song never gels. The weird drum patters and sputtering guitars never lock into a groove. It makes it sound messy to my ears. This sounds like a band falling down the stairs.
Yep - noted on the kick drum. Thanks

Just sounds like a relatively straight forward riff-driven tune to me, without anything particularly fancy going on with the drums... :confused: To each their own.

Cheers
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:41 am
Armistice wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:30 pm So this is the second song I've written called "You Monster" - the first, remaining, to this day, the only song I've never actually finished (that got a significant way in, that is...). A bunch of you actually sang on it - Bubba, VHS (who did a spectacular 17 part harmony for me which I've always felt guilty about not using... :frown: )
I vaguely wondered what happened to that song. lol!

I'll add another +1 for bumping up the kick.

Everything else seems to be pretty well balanced. Maybe vocals could be slightly quieter. TripM is probably right about the solo. I'd shoot for trying to get it level with the vocal part when it's alone.
It's still there - and when I was assembling stuff for this album I had another look at it and decided it couldn't be redeemed. Which let me re-use the title in this one. :biggrin:

Will look at the vocals this morning...
rayc

Post by rayc »

Def. kick light but there's CLICK.
The 1st vocal Monster in the solo is quiet, indistinct and sounds more like a mistake than intentional...louder would help fix that.
The voice is clear and the lyrics don't need a sheet to be heard.
Bass...is subtle but gets a little lost as it follows the guitars...where it doesn't it sounds good.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

rayc wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:30 pm Def. kick light but there's CLICK.
The 1st vocal Monster in the solo is quiet, indistinct and sounds more like a mistake than intentional...louder would help fix that.
The voice is clear and the lyrics don't need a sheet to be heard.
Bass...is subtle but gets a little lost as it follows the guitars...where it doesn't it sounds good.
That first monster at the end was a mistake. I put it there with a different treatment on it, and decided I didn't like it but forgot to remove it... :biggrin: Gone now.

I'll have a look at the kick and a few other things as well.

Cheers