hey Greg!

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Lt. Bob

hey Greg!

Post by Lt. Bob »

you know about this stuff and I'm lazy and busy so.

I got a wiring harness from 920 ( lovely work and packaging BTW) and I wanted push/pull pots for the coil taps in my Mutt p'ups.
I requested them to be the tone pots since that puts them down and out of the way.
But thinking about it ..... are pickups ever connected at the tone pots?
And they have the caps there so will it still work properly?
What do ya' think?
Greg_L

Re: hey Greg!

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:37 pm you know about this stuff and I'm lazy and busy so.

I got a wiring harness from 920 ( lovely work and packaging BTW) and I wanted push/pull pots for the coil taps in my Mutt p'ups.
I requested them to be the tone pots since that puts them down and out of the way.
But thinking about it ..... are pickups ever connected at the tone pots?
And they have the caps there so will it still work properly?
What do ya' think?
The tone controls work in parallel with the rest of the circuit. If you look at the typical ways tone controls are wired in you'll see that the signal never actually passes through the tone controls.

The tone control doesn't even need to be there. It's a simple filter circuit that bleeds off highs from the main signal which only passes through the volume pot. You could snip the capacitor out all together and everything will still work....although with no tone control.

I use push-pulls for coil splitting on both tone controls of one of my Les Pauls. I like them on the tone controls because they're out of the way. I never touch the tone controls and very rarely split pickups anyway. But they do work exactly as they should. Normal tone controls, and they can be pulled out to split the pickups.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

:like: @Greg_L ..... thanks ...... I may reach out to ya' on figuring out the wiring on the Mutts .

One thing about the 920 harness .... it's mounted on a sheet of acrylic so it'll be easy to test out before putting it in the 335
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:36 am :like: @Greg_L ..... thanks ...... I may reach out to ya' on figuring out the wiring on the Mutts .

One thing about the 920 harness .... it's mounted on a sheet of acrylic so it'll be easy to test out before putting it in the 335
It will just depend on what type of push-pulls they provide you. It's easy whatever way you wanna do it, but the type of switch matters.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:41 am
Lt. Bob wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:36 am :like: @Greg_L ..... thanks ...... I may reach out to ya' on figuring out the wiring on the Mutts .

It will just depend on what type of push-pulls they provide you. It's easy whatever way you wanna do it, but the type of switch matters.
I'll get a pic of them