Learnin' my new toys ... specially the Roland AE-30

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
Lt. Bob

Learnin' my new toys ... specially the Roland AE-30

Post by Lt. Bob »

It's time to make time to do some stuff recording and playing-wise while I still can.

The first thing I wanna concentrate on is the AE-30 ..... so this is one of my usual off the top of my head chord sets.
I played a guitar along with the drums thru whatever chords occurred to me as I went along and then added stuff to it .... mostly to give me a bed to play the AE-30 over.
I really want to learn it and it requires some significant alterations in playing technique from sax plus you have 5 freakin' octaves and my hand is a little too small for some features making them a reach.

So I need to spend time on it and since I have an unfortunate habit of recording such things, here it is.
It's really and truly just random chording ... ..... pretty much first take that didn't suck .... this is just to help me hear how the thing sounds and what settings I need rather than trying to make music per.
I really want to learn it and it requires some significant alterations in playing technique from sax plus you have 5 freakin' octaves and my hand is a little too small for some features making them a reach.
So I need to spend time on it and I have an unfortunate habit of recording such things so here.

And no, I have no idea what that weird low-end sound at :08 to :10 is .... maybe a car but it cuts off so quick

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CrowsofFritz

Re: Learnin' my new toys ... specially the Roland AE-30

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Sounds cool!
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
rayc

Post by rayc »

Really proggy stuff...like something Pavlov's Dog would've done.
You may not have your hands completely around it yet but the musicality shines through.
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Very much has an old school Final Fantasy OST vibe about it, especially those e-strings.

I'm not a huge fan of the really high-pitched tone. It almost sounds like some string noise that got missed or something.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:29 am Very much has an old school Final Fantasy OST vibe about it, especially those e-strings.

I'm not a huge fan of the really high-pitched tone. It almost sounds like some string noise that got missed or something.
I think it a keyboard patch for vibes ...... it does some really weird things ...... I prolly should pull it out altogether
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

After googling what an AE-30 is.... :)

Pretty cool sounds.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Sounds cool @Lt. Bob. For some reason it takes me back to Bowie's "Man Of Words, Man Of Music" record. Not any particular song, just the overall feel of the chords and that synth over the top.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

TripleM wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:33 pm After googling what an AE-30 is.... :)

Pretty cool sounds.
Tadpui wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:42 pm Sounds cool @Lt. Bob. For some reason it takes me back to Bowie's "Man Of Words, Man Of Music" record. Not any particular song, just the overall feel of the chords and that synth over the top.
only one sound is the AE-30 and that's the violin .... otherwise it's two 12-strings and the keyboard drumbs .... well, and that bizarre vibe sound which is keyboard
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

rayc wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:49 am Really proggy stuff...like something Pavlov's Dog would've done.
You may not have your hands completely around it yet but the musicality shines through.
Now there's a thought. Lt doing David Surkamp vocals... :lollers:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Sounds really cool. Very 1980.
I'm listening in the car (parked and it's an EV, so a good place to listen) and it sounds like there's a slight high pitched squeak in the background along with you "e-sax". Might just be string noise though.

Like all your stuff, Steve, the mix is just effortlessly good... and I know you put zero effort into mixing it.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

JD01 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:34 pm and I know you put zero effort into mixing it.
that's my process!

:lollers2:

I do appreciate it man .... that's a nice thing to say
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Somehow i missed this entirely.

very cool. It sounds like strings. I think thats cool. But a quick google reveals this i wind instrument. What a time to be alive! I too hear the squeaks that JD is hearing and i'd love to know what they are. They sound kinda like outer spaceish?

Where will you be using this tool @Lt. Bob ?
:happytrees:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:57 pm Somehow i missed this entirely.

very cool. It sounds like strings. I think thats cool. But a quick google reveals this i wind instrument. What a time to be alive! I too hear the squeaks that JD is hearing and i'd love to know what they are. They sound kinda like outer spaceish?

Where will you be using this tool @Lt. Bob ?
I think it was the 'vibes' patch on the keyboard.
I've actually remixed it and took that out and found and removed that low-end thing that was bothering me. I just haven't had a chance to put it up ...... I'll do that tonight and you can tell me if that noise disappeared.

It's VERY rare that I remix anything but I kinda like this and wanted to get it a little bit better.

I only used the AE-30 for the lead track ..... just that one violin .... everything else was guitar or keys or bass.

I have used it live sitting in with a friend and everyone in the audience was instantly focused on it and WTH was that?
But I doubt very much I'll use it at my outside gig so prolly mostly for recording.

But it's easy to use live ..... just run a git cord to it and it also does bluetooth and bluetooth MIDI so we'll see.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

@Whiskeyjack
@vomitHatSteve
@JD01

It's VERY rare that I remix something but that brief low-end thing bothered me ( it was the bass ) plus the sci-fi sounding bleeps and blurps started bugging me after they were pointed out so here is a remix.
Lemme know if it turns out that's not what ya'll were talking about, but I think they're gone now.

I kinda liked this piece enough to mess with it a bit more. Hopefully it's mo' better.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:18 pm @Whiskeyjack
@vomitHatSteve
@JD01

It's VERY rare that I remix something but that brief low-end thing bothered me ( it was the bass ) plus the sci-fi sounding bleeps and blurps started bugging me after they were pointed out so here is a remix.
Lemme know if it turns out that's not what ya'll were talking about, but I think they're gone now.

I kinda liked this piece enough to mess with it a bit more. Hopefully it's mo' better.
Nailed it Bob. I am not picking up any of those artifacts. What was the bleeps and blurps? what caused that? Kind of a cool sound effect for something else if you ever needed space noises.
:happytrees:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

It was a 'vibes' patch .... but now that I think about it, it may have been a 'vibes' patch on guitar via the E.H. Key 9 pedal and not the keyboard.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Yeah, sounds like those artifacts are gone. Nice.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Pretty cool toy Boob. Sounds great. :coolstorybro:

Does that thing have an actual reed in it?
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:06 am Pretty cool toy Boob. Sounds great. :coolstorybro:

Does that thing have an actual reed in it?
well .... it has a reed but it doesn't produce any sound .... it's just a sensor to measure lip pressure.
You can set it to behave like an actual reed and simply be a pitch control but you can also set it for basically anything .... it can be that it gets louder the harder you press or add tremolo the more you press or control filters .... anything you might control with the joystick on a keyboard basically..

The sounds are built in .... it has 300 sounds and they're all pretty good. It has an awesome tympani patch which is kinda weird to see a 'wind' instrument making tympani sounds.

AND it has Bluetooth MIDI so I can use it as a controller for keyboards and get any of their sounds or for that matter any virtual sounds if I want to use a pad or puter with it.
I could for example .... use Superior Drums sounds or Native Instruments or any of that stuff.

I'm way early into learning it but it has a lot of capabilities.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Mix two is very cool.
Cheers
rayc