New Monitors

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
rayc

New Monitors

Post by rayc »

Renovations are 99% complete and I've come to the realization that I can't move the studio space into another room becasue that would put it under either the living room or kitchen. Both of those rooms have timber floors and transmit sound downward very effectively. Both wife & sister-in-law are light, short and VERY heavy footed so recording could only be done when they're out of the house.
To make the best of circumstances I've tidied things and bought new monitors...ADAMS T7Vs. The images below are of the tidier space and the ADAMS in situ with the Behringers they replaced on top for size comparison.
There's a Thorens turntable & Cambridge Audio Topaz amp in the room hooked up to a pari of AR4x speakers as the wife has decided no stereo, non DVD, no nothing in the living roo, but a TV and laptop so she can stream The Bold & The Beautiful et al so I'll had to put most of my CDs in this space and the LPs in another room. That leaves me with the better stereo set up and the ancient BOSE surround system in boxes for the foreseeable future.
Oh, guitars/basses/cello & cables are behind the louvred door.
I do have a new sonic problem too...on VERY sunny days the solar converter goes into overdrive and the downstairs walls, (it's mounted to an external wall), all of which are brick, resonate at about 120Hz with a throb. I'm looking into have a damping something placed between the mounting bracket and the wall OR will have to go to more expense to have a plinth made so it can be remounted away from the wall.
IMG_20221003_141408.jpg
IMG_20221003_141408.jpg
IMG_20221003_141140.jpg
IMG_20221003_141152.jpg
IMG_20221003_141204.jpg
IMG_20221003_141215.jpg
IMG_20221003_141229.jpg
IMG_20221003_141224.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
rayc
CrowsofFritz

Re: New Monitors

Post by CrowsofFritz »

I’ve heard good things about the ADAMs
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Nice, the 7s should have good bottom end reproduction - next thing you need is a curtain or shutters on that window! :wink:
rayc

Post by rayc »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:17 am I’ve heard good things about the ADAMs
The reviews are all pretty positive and even the one that gave them the most stick still thought they were best for the $$$s and they were only unhappy about the resonance from the front plate.
I've burnt them in but haven't set up the sweet spot properly yet, nor done critical listening with them so can't really offer an opinion. I've played quite a bundle of well recorded & mixed albums through them in the burn in process as well as to get used to them and they certainly aren't as "comfy" as my preferred living room stereo speakers but they aren't meant to be I suppose. That said the albums I've played sounded bloody good all around the room.
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

Armistice wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:32 am Nice, the 7s should have good bottom end reproduction - next thing you need is a curtain or shutters on that window! :wink:
Yes, from 41/2" to 7" is a bit of a step but it "should" help me. I have to sit them a little too close to the wall for peak performance, (the room can't really be altered to accommodate the required 16" from the wall), but they have a bass cut switch set up for just that circumstance.
Yeah, the bath towel as curtain isn't great but I was experimenting with direct sunlight entry. That particular coverage is for mid afternoon Qld winter which saw me get sunlight right in my face but the sun was still hitting my guitars in the morning or arvo no matter where I put them within the room so partial blockage isn't going to work. I have block out curtains ready to put up and will get to that once we're done reinstalling ourselves in the house proper.
Cheers
rayc
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Just wondering. When I posted a mix of a client with that boomy bass, I assume you were listening on headphones? Because I couldn’t hear it on my 5” monitors (headphones weren’t with me at the time).

I now have a subwoofer and I’ve been wondering why the heck I didn’t get one sooner.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Good stuff Ray. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Looks good Ray!!! A nice little mancave hidaway!

Love the sign "Not right now, Bub" 👍
:happytrees:
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Looks good Ray! Looks like you've got a bit more room to spread out if I remember your previous space.

I've been using the ADAM A7X for a few years now and I love them. I retired my Yamaha HS80M pair last year and that freed up my HS8S sub to pair with the A7's, and they sound awesome together.
rayc

Post by rayc »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:51 am Just wondering. When I posted a mix of a client with that boomy bass, I assume you were listening on headphones? Because I couldn’t hear it on my 5” monitors (headphones weren’t with me at the time).

I now have a subwoofer and I’ve been wondering why the heck I didn’t get one sooner.
I was listening on headphones. I've only had the ADAMS pair for two weeks. My little Behringers wouldn't have reproduced the boomy bottom end.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Looks like you have a great space, Ray. I'd love a room like that. Sticking a 3rd floor on my house is a few years off yet though.
I have the same Focusrite headphones as you do - they're good for tracking aren't they? decent isolation, little bleed.
rayc

Post by rayc »

JD01 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:09 am I have the same Focusrite headphones as you do - they're good for tracking aren't they? decent isolation, little bleed.
Yep, very good for tracking, possibly better than my MORE MEs. Nice that they came with the mic & interface too.
Cheers
rayc