P90 Strat

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
rayc

P90 Strat

Post by rayc »

@Greg_L, have you attempted this?

It sounds good.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Re: P90 Strat

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:03 am @Greg_L, have you attempted this?

It sounds good.
I agree with his gripes about Strats. They sound stupid for almost everything and the knob is in the way. I'd not waste a P90 by putting it into a Strat but it does seem to be an improvement.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I kinda want this for a strat but anything with 3 pickups I ever do will have 3 mini-toggles ... one for each pickup with on/off/on reverse phase.
that's how I mod every strat I ever have
But I have 3 mini buckers laying around so I guess I can make my own
Regardless this has caught my eye

https://920d-custom-test.myshopify.com/ ... e=omnisend
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I could be down with a p90 strat. That would be half decent.

I think @JD01 was just talking about this in another thread.
:happytrees:
rayc

Post by rayc »

It's interesting that the fellow's main gripe is with the volume knob while he does have a very odd way with is arm after playing a chord or phrase.
I'm not a RAT fan but is does sound good with good players.
That triple mini humbucker looks complicated but done for you @Lt. Bob though there's no out of phase position built in.
Cheers
rayc
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

rayc wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:34 pm It's interesting that the fellow's main gripe is with the volume knob while he does have a very odd way with is arm after playing a chord or phrase.
I'm not a RAT fan but is does sound good with good players.
That triple mini humbucker looks complicated but done for you @Lt. Bob though there's no out of phase position built in.
well as i said, I would take out the blade switch and replace it with 3 mini-toggles.

And complicated? TBH I never understand a guitar being called complicated.
I don't see how it's possible for a guitar to be considered complicated.

It's a few knobs and pickups.
For example I often see a Jaguar called complicated ..... please, literally nothing to it.
Two set of controls you can switch between ..... wooooeeee!
Them city folks sure do love that complicated technology but that's too hard for me! :lollers:
rayc

Post by rayc »

Complicated as in the 6 way switch installation.
Cheers
rayc
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

rayc wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:56 pm Complicated as in the 6 way switch installation.
I gotcha .... but it's just not.
All this stuff is dirt simple if you just take a little time to read about it.
I was building receiver kits from Heathkit when I was 13 ..... that's far more complex than a guitar.

Once again I get that it might seem complicated at first glance but there's not a single person on this board that couldn't learn all there is to know about wiring this in an afternoon.

Yeah, it's way easier to have a tech do it .... I also get that and in fact my motto is: "Ya' know what's easier than doing that ? NOT doing that!" so I truly understand the desire to not add anything more to your list of things to learn.
So I have no problem with not messing with it if it doesn't interest you.

But I stand behind it ..... this stuff is simple
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:38 pm I could be down with a p90 strat. That would be half decent.

I was thinking about a P90 Mustang but the routing is tricky.
I think I'm going to go for a mini humbucker and some fancy switching options at some point.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

JD01 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:09 am
WhiskeyJack wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:38 pm I could be down with a p90 strat. That would be half decent.

I was thinking about a P90 Mustang but the routing is tricky.
I think I'm going to go for a mini humbucker and some fancy switching options at some point.
I'd be hesitant to rout out that nice guitar even though it would be hidden by the guard.

And just curious because I'll mod a guitar in a second but isn't the point of having a Mustang to have all that goes with it being a Mustang?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:48 am
And just curious because I'll mod a guitar in a second but isn't the point of having a Mustang to have all that goes with it being a Mustang?
Lol that's kind of how I look at it. Mustangs are what they are. Leave it be. :guitarhero:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:14 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:48 am
Lol that's kind of how I look at it. Mustangs are what they are. Leave it be. :guitarhero:
I might well leave it be. At the moment I think its a really lovely guitar to play. Certainly the easiest guitar I've ever played.

I like it on the neck pickup and I like it on both pickups. The bridge pickup is OK. But I prefer my tele, the mustang sounds a bit thin. If I didn't really love the guitar to play on I wouldn't consider modding it, I'm just thinking of a way for it to do more of what I want.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:33 pm
I might well leave it be. At the moment I think its a really lovely guitar to play. Certainly the easiest guitar I've ever played.

I like it on the neck pickup and I like it on both pickups. The bridge pickup is OK. But I prefer my tele, the mustang sounds a bit thin. If I didn't really love the guitar to play on I wouldn't consider modding it, I'm just thinking of a way for it to do more of what I want.
If you change the bridge pickup you might lose what you like from both pickups.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:01 pm

yep ..... my Slick had an absolutely awesome both-pickups sound but I thought the bridge was thin ,,,, changed it and totally lost that sound when both p'ups are on.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:01 pm

Cheers, hadn't thought of that.