Reamping.

Need a helping hand to make sure you do it right, first time? Got some good advice to pass on, so no-one makes the same mistakes you did? This is your forum.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Reamping.

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Anyone have some advice on reamping?

With a little guy in the house now cranking an amp up to 11 to try to track something in the in-between times of work / dad'ing when i find myself alone in the house is few and far between. I think if possible I'll scratch track using sims and a DI as i have always done for cobbling together my thoughts and ideas, but it would be cool to be able to reamp the DI track if possible thru my amps.

What kinds of things should be considered to do things this way? Is there a particular way I have to capture the DI signal? Same for sending it back out? I know @Minerman had this mostly figured out and had a decent set up but i can't remember what he used and how exactly he did it? Also unsure if he posted all his stuff here or on that other forum that is now MIA? I'll do a search here in a sec but i figured enough time has passed since he did there might be different gear or processes to do this?

Cheerio!
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Re: Reamping.

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:56 pm Anyone have some advice on reamping?

With a little guy in the house now cranking an amp up to 11 to try to track something in the in-between times of work / dad'ing when i find myself alone in the house is few and far between. I think if possible I'll scratch track using sims and a DI as i have always done for cobbling together my thoughts and ideas, but it would be cool to be able to reamp the DI track if possible thru my amps.

What kinds of things should be considered to do things this way? Is there a particular way I have to capture the DI signal? Same for sending it back out? I know @Minerman had this mostly figured out and had a decent set up but i can't remember what he used and how exactly he did it? Also unsure if he posted all his stuff here or on that other forum that is now MIA? I'll do a search here in a sec but i figured enough time has passed since he did there might be different gear or processes to do this?

Cheerio!
Ideally you'd use a Reamp Box to convert the line out from your interface back into a signal that is usable by an amp. Some people go straight from interface to amp, but that signal is way too hot and the wrong impedance. If you want your amp to act like an amp you need to feed it a signal that is like a guitar signal - low level and high impedance. A Reamp Box does that trick for you.

But you're on the right track. Record your guitar DI at a safe level with lots of headroom. Then run it back out to an amp set up to record. It's pretty simple. Interface Line Out > guitar cable > Reamp Box input > Reamp Box output > guitar cable > amp. Some boxes have ground lifts and level controls and all that, but the most basic Reamp Box will get the job done.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:05 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:56 pm Anyone have some advice on reamping?

Cheerio!
Ideally you'd use a Reamp Box to convert the line out from your interface back into a signal that is usable by an amp. Some people go straight from interface to amp, but that signal is way too hot and the wrong impedance. If you want your amp to act like an amp you need to feed it a signal that is like a guitar signal - low level and high impedance. A Reamp Box does that trick for you.

But you're on the right track. Record your guitar DI at a safe level with lots of headroom. Then run it back out to an amp set up to record. It's pretty simple. Interface Line Out > guitar cable > Reamp Box input > Reamp Box output > guitar cable > amp. Some boxes have ground lifts and level controls and all that, but the most basic Reamp Box will get the job done.
Ok that does sound kind of simple. I figured there would be more stuff to do in terms of getting it back out of the computer at a believe able output for it be worth the while but if all that magic is inside those boxes then that that takes care of that.

Is this something i can look at or is there any other options. I don't really see any at this retailer.

https://www.long-mcquade.com/20856/Pro- ... om-Xfm.htm
Farview

Post by Farview »

That should do it.

On the way in however, I've had better luck capturing the guitar with active di boxes.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:28 pm

Ok that does sound kind of simple. I figured there would be more stuff to do in terms of getting it back out of the computer at a believe able output for it be worth the while but if all that magic is inside those boxes then that that takes care of that.

Is this something i can look at or is there any other options. I don't really see any at this retailer.

https://www.long-mcquade.com/20856/Pro- ... om-Xfm.htm
Yup that'll work.

I use this one...
https://www.radialeng.com/product/jcr
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Cheers buddy i will watch some youtubes now.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I've not done it but I thought using a DI box was part of the magic sauce.

There's enough YouTubes out there from actual engineer types telling guitarists submitting tracks for mixing to always include a DI track so the engineer can use that for reamping when it turns out the guitarist doesn't know how to mic his amp properly.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Most of our interfaces have an instrument input for direct recording, so an actual DI box is not really required. The interface is the DI box. Once it's in the computer it's all just 1s and 0s. The Reamp box turns it back into something that looks like a guitar signal to the amp.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

A reamp circuit is just a DI circuit in reverse, right? Any reason you couldn't just run a DI box backwards?
Farview

Post by Farview »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:46 pm A reamp circuit is just a DI circuit in reverse, right? Any reason you couldn't just run a DI box backwards?
Let's think about that for a second.
A di take a high impedance signal, balances it, reduces the level, and makes it low impedance.

Do that backwards and you would be taking a signal and raising the impedance and level. Not sure that is what you want to do with a line level signal on the way to a guitar Amp.

An actual reamp box will take the line level signal and bring it to the level and impedance of a guitar.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

All that ^^^^^
Rebel Yell