something I think we all can agree is stupid

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
rayc

Re: something I think we all can agree is stupid

Post by rayc »

That almost makes this decent...

Patterson bored the tears out of me when he did his solo back in 1979. Actually the gig annoyed me as they had not just a poncy bassist but synths playing OFFSTAGE.
Cheers
rayc
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

at least he had a stupid looking neckerchief
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

There's been a rash of "how many strings can we put on a guitar" custom builds over the last several years, and I don't get it. I mean, those things are pretty much unplayable, they weigh enough to anchor a yacht offshore, and they look downright ridiculous.

I've seen Jared Dines and Stevie T both try to play those things, and neither of those guys are slouches on a guitar. Neither could do a whole lot on one, they're just so impractical.

I hope that whomever buys that guitar has good health insurance. That thing is a case of carpal tunnel AND sciatica waiting to happen!
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Apart from anything else about it, look at the position of the top and bottom pickups - extending waaaaay past the actual strings they're supposed to cover.

And because of the pickups, you can bassically :drums: play one of three basses, and god help you if you stray onto the adjacent one mid solo as there are no switches, so how would you know what was on. All on, all of the time, perhaps. Coil taps on the knobs to engage/disengage? The number of knobs sort of makes sense, anyway.

Has to be a joke, surely... :confused:

We should chip in and buy it for JD, seeing it has his initials on the fretboard. :like:
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

@Lt. Bob @Armistice oh jeez, I didn't even notice that it was a bass! I just saw way too many strings and assumed that it was a guitar!
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Armistice wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:09 pm

no ..... that's on the DH Gate website ...... I've bought a guitar from them before.

I'm thinking it's like a Chapman Stick ...... some of them have that many strings or close to it.
The band for Blue Man group used a Stick .... a very cool instrument
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:05 am
Armistice wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:09 pm

no ..... that's on the DH Gate website ...... I've bought a guitar from them before.

I'm thinking it's like a Chapman Stick ...... some of them have that many strings or close to it.
The band for Blue Man group used a Stick .... a very cool instrument
I've been to see Steven Wilson when he tours - twice now - his bassist back then, Nick Beggs, is a big Chapman stick guy - fascinating to watch, and hear.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Jesus... that's awful.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I've got a friend who plays a similar-looking 18 string. (As his primary; he also has a few other extended range basses)

He gets pretty salty when people make fun of the premise.

But then he plays in a 6 piece where he doesn't actually get use all that range:

(I've seen him actually use most of the strings playing solo)
JD01

Post by JD01 »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:43 am I've got a friend who plays a similar-looking 18 string. (As his primary; he also has a few other extended range basses)

He gets pretty salty when people make fun of the premise.

But then he plays in a 6 piece where he doesn't actually get use all that range:

(I've seen him actually use most of the strings playing solo)
They're good... and that thing looks like a giant pain in the arse to play.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

There comes a point where one must relent and just get a piano.
:happytrees:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

here is a vid of a Chapman Stick that might make you want one but you'd have to spend years to get to this point

But it only has 10 strings

vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

The thing that always gets me with these instruments is: How many copies of the same note do you wanna have on an instrument?

I don't need 6 places on the neck to play a D2. I have 4 on a B-bass, and I only use two of them.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:22 pm The thing that always gets me with these instruments is: How many copies of the same note do you wanna have on an instrument?

I don't need 6 places on the neck to play a D2. I have 4 on a B-bass, and I only use two of them.
well , with the chapman you need them at different spots on the neck so you can play them at different positions because your hand can only stretch so far but yeah .... as a bass it makes no sense to me
CeeBee

Post by CeeBee »

Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:05 am no ..... that's on the DH Gate website ...... I've bought a guitar from them before.
There are some nice looking cheap LPs in there. What with Made in USA, Les Paul Model on the headstock, and Gibson looking serial numbers, I'm surprised they get past customs as they are obviously fakes. Tempting though.
Cheers
Chris
my music
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

CeeBee wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:40 am I'm surprised they get past customs as they are obviously fakes.
Not all of them do. U.S. Customs has seized quite a few Chibsons.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:46 pm
vomitHatSteve wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:22 pm The thing that always gets me with these instruments is: How many copies of the same note do you wanna have on an instrument?

well , with the chapman you need them at different spots on the neck so you can play them at different positions because your hand can only stretch so far but yeah .... as a bass it makes no sense to me
Music often has a back-and-forth between using engineering and using skill to solve problems. (e.g. do you use cut capos, or do you practice more chords?)
Needing to learn more positions on a Chapman seems like a skill solution to an engineering solution! (Does anyone make capos for Chapman Sticks? That might make everything easier :lollers:)
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:56 am
Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:46 pm well , with the chapman you need them at different spots on the neck so you can play them at different positions because your hand can only stretch so far but yeah .... as a bass it makes no sense to me
Music often has a back-and-forth between using engineering and using skill to solve problems. (e.g. do you use cut capos, or do you practice more chords?)
Needing to learn more positions on a Chapman seems like a skill solution to an engineering solution! (Does anyone make capos for Chapman Sticks? That might make everything easier :lollers:)
:lollers2:
rayc

Post by rayc »

"Needing to learn more positions on a Chapman seems like a skill solution to an engineering solution! "
Nicely done Steve.
Cheers
rayc