Gerdundula

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
Mr Clean

Gerdundula

Post by Mr Clean »

Every now and then I like to record a song for my old man, just to cheer him up. He loves Quo so I decided to have a play at this little ditty. When I was young, my mad Dad use to play air guitar to this track so that helped me decide which track to have a go at. Just a bit of fun in a couple of hours. I put some backward noise on in places to cover a few mistakes, edits, etc. :coolstorybro:

Gerdundula .mp3
Gerdundula (New Mix).mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mr Clean on Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheap Gear - In A Square Room! Getting the job done! :coolstorybro:
Alison

Re: Gerdundula

Post by Alison »

Mistakes?? Damn, this sounds awesome! When it first started I had visions of O Brother Where Art Thou, only much better. Really enjoyed this, thanks for sharing.
If I knew what I was doing, I'd be dangerous!
rayc

Post by rayc »

A cool Hilllbilly interpretation.
I was listening to Quo last night..a couple of the hits but they were fun live and being used in dumb supermarket adverts hasn't hurt Down Down too much.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

My first real gig was Status Quo. In Brisbane, when I was in high school. I vaguely remember this tune from the album, which someone had.

Nice rendition!
Mr Clean

Post by Mr Clean »

Alison wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:56 pm Mistakes?? Damn, this sounds awesome! When it first started I had visions of O Brother Where Art Thou, only much better. Really enjoyed this, thanks for sharing.
Yeah, there are a couple of minor fluffs in there but sometimes it's good to just leave things as they are rather than over edit and make everything perfect. It was just a bit of fun anyway. Thank you for the nice comments. :coolstorybro:
rayc wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:46 pm A cool Hilllbilly interpretation.
I was listening to Quo last night..a couple of the hits but they were fun live and being used in dumb supermarket adverts hasn't hurt Down Down too much.
It's strange, a lot of people knock Quo but I love them and their "3 chords"! Their early stuff is awesome and the records worth quite a bit of money. :coolstorybro:

Thanks for listening Ray :coolstorybro:
Armistice wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:14 pm My first real gig was Status Quo. In Brisbane, when I was in high school. I vaguely remember this tune from the album, which someone had.

Nice rendition!
Cheers Armi. I went to quite a few Quo gigs myself when I was younger, along with my Dad. Cool story alert. My Dad was a fan when they first started back in the 60s. He introduced my Mums younger brother to them (He was around 13 at the time) and he went on to become a roadie for them and did 9 tours with them in the 70s and 80s.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Sounds pretty good. There's a bit of high-end harshness to my ears. I think it's coming from the reverb since it seems to be lingering on both the guitar and vox a little.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Clean, you're deaf in one ear right? Hence the almost mono-mix.

Anyway, I think it sounds pretty good. If anything I think the main acoustic is a bit upfront in the mix, could probably do with a bit of verb, but it also seems really loud too. Maybe just turn it down a touch and give it some verb.

I think I can hear what Steve is hearing regarding the highs but I don't mind it.
Mr Clean

Post by Mr Clean »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:28 am Sounds pretty good. There's a bit of high-end harshness to my ears. I think it's coming from the reverb since it seems to be lingering on both the guitar and vox a little.
Yeah there is a little harshness to it, I think. I've tried it on a few systems and it's alright on some but a little harsh on others. I purposely went over the top with the reverb to try and get a continuous droning sound. I should probably try and dial it back a bit.

Thanks for the listening and the feedback Steve. :coolstorybro:
JD01 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:10 pm Clean, you're deaf in one ear right? Hence the almost mono-mix.

Anyway, I think it sounds pretty good. If anything I think the main acoustic is a bit upfront in the mix, could probably do with a bit of verb, but it also seems really loud too. Maybe just turn it down a touch and give it some verb.

I think I can hear what Steve is hearing regarding the highs but I don't mind it.
Yeah, I'm the deaf dude JD. It is a completely mono mix. I've given up on stereo as it is just too diffivult for me to get any cohesive balance. Panning double tracked guitars, etc, I always find one side is too loud and my perception of stereo just doesn't lend itself to mixing. Everything straight down the middle, while tricky to do, is easier for me to get a good result. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :lollers2:

And I think you're right, after listening today with a fresh ear, the main acoustic was a tad loud. I think I was pushing the master bus a bit hot on final pass. Taming the acoustic and the limited has steadied the ship a bit. New mix added up top.

Cheers :coolstorybro:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Mr Clean wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:16 pm
vomitHatSteve wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:28 am Sounds pretty good. There's a bit of high-end harshness to my ears. I think it's coming from the reverb since it seems to be lingering on both the guitar and vox a little.
Yeah there is a little harshness to it, I think. I've tried it on a few systems and it's alright on some but a little harsh on others. I purposely went over the top with the reverb to try and get a continuous droning sound. I should probably try and dial it back a bit.

Thanks for the listening and the feedback Steve. :coolstorybro:
Y'know, I don't know if the reverb even needs to be dialed back. It might just need some EQ
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Mr Clean wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:16 pm Yeah, I'm the deaf dude JD. It is a completely mono mix. I've given up on stereo as it is just too diffivult for me to get any cohesive balance. Panning double tracked guitars, etc, I always find one side is too loud and my perception of stereo just doesn't lend itself to mixing. Everything straight down the middle, while tricky to do, is easier for me to get a good result. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :lollers2:

And I think you're right, after listening today with a fresh ear, the main acoustic was a tad loud. I think I was pushing the master bus a bit hot on final pass. Taming the acoustic and the limited has steadied the ship a bit. New mix added up top.

Cheers :coolstorybro:
Was pretty sure it was you who heard in mono! I remember I thought your last mix was mono at first but it had a very slight spread to it.
The level of the main acoustic guitar is better now (might still be a touch loud) but mainly I think its too dry, particularly to be right in the centre of the mix like that. Also, I reckon you could put a bit less verb on your lead vocal, get it up front a bit more as you move the main acoustic back.

This is really good though, mate. I just can't mix in mono... which is a pity really 'cos I'm pretty much hearing in mono these days 'cos my surfer's ear is so fucked.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I am totally not familiar with the original at all but on it's own this sounds really cool. Very Well done @Mr Clean

I am listening to the 2nd track of the two and i don't really have much to offer that hasn't been said at this point. I'll 2nd that it seems a bit pushed on the high end of things as other have said. Also there is a bit of noise floor at the beginning too that could get dealt with with a crossfade or something at the start of the track?

Good work though despite being deaf in one ear dude. 👍👍👍
:happytrees:
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

I love the performances and the overall feel to this.

Mono mixes aren't very common. I didn't mind it on this tune.

Vocal, to me, is just a bit far back in the mix. A bit too much reverb.

The mandolin is a little harsh. Just a bit. Maybe a little heavy on the reverb.

The acoustic guitar has a little abrasive pick noise. Happens with every strum. I wonder if a notch EQ could tame it.
CeeBee

Post by CeeBee »

I'm not familiar with Quo's music but I like that. It sounds a bit folky and a lot of fun. Nicely done :coolstorybro:
Cheers
Chris
my music
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Great job here I think.

You have captured the feel of this genre extremely well.

And performances and energy are spot on, feel sort of like I am sitting on a back porch sippin' bourbon listening to some friends play.