New amp ordered

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Lt. Bob

New amp ordered

Post by Lt. Bob »

I have a SWR that was unbelievable sounding thru my Ampeg SVT 410 HLF cab.
But I don't have that cab anymore and the amp is long in the tooth and has a problem.

Rather than fix it I ordered: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... -bass-head

I have a 2x10 I'll be running it into.

But if the bass thing gets busier down the road maybe a couple of: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ss-cabinet
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: New amp ordered

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Dude!! cool!!!! I looked at that very amp not long ago! I am super excited to see what you think of it. I have an oldish Solid State GK MBSIII that is pretty bad ass. But i'd probably hock it for a smaller footprint micro bass amp. Not that this Gk is huge and eating up rela estate but for how much i use it would be cool to have a smaller little joby.

Look forward to see what this thing is all about.

Had you ever looked at any of the Dark Glass bass amps?
:happytrees:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:04 pm Dude!! cool!!!! I looked at that very amp not long ago! I am super excited to see what you think of it. I have an oldish Solid State GK MBSIII that is pretty bad ass. But i'd probably hock it for a smaller footprint micro bass amp. Not that this Gk is huge and eating up rela estate but for how much i use it would be cool to have a smaller little joby.

Look forward to see what this thing is all about.

Had you ever looked at any of the Dark Glass bass amps?
nah .. way more money than I wanna spend
rayc

Post by rayc »

I've heard/seen/read only good thing about those little Behringer sibling amps.
Great for the bigger band bass shows with a reduction in weight that almost gets you back to motorcycling to gigs.
Cheers
rayc
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I've been half-heartedly looking for a bass amp this year. I'll keep the TC Electronic in mind if you end up liking it @Lt. Bob.

I'd so love to have an SVT. But holy hell that thing would probably shake my house to pieces. But to behold how one of those sounds on top of an 8x10 would be a bucket list thing for me.

I'm intrigued by Mark Bass too. They make some high wattage yet lightweight heads/cabs/combos that I've been interested in. And that Boss Katana bass amp looks very interesting as well. Even Fender's Rumble series seems to get a lot of good press lately.

I did end up fixing the rattle in my little Ampeg practice 1x10, so I'm sticking with that for the time being, as I like it's tone pretty well.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Tadpui wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:57 pm

I'd so love to have an SVT. But holy hell that thing would probably shake my house to pieces. But to behold how one of those sounds on top of an 8x10 would be a bucket list thing for me.
I did play a SVT thru two of those cabs for a while .... great sound .... it was like carrying two refrigerators around though.

Biggest rig I ever played thru was 2 Crown DC 300's thru four EV A7s although we just used the bottoms and no the horns.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Tadpui wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:57 pm

I did play a SVT thru two of those cabs for a while .... great sound .... it was like carrying two refrigerators around though.

Biggest rig I ever played thru was 2 Crown DC 300's thru four EV A7s although we just used the bottoms and no the horns.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:58 pm I did play a SVT thru two of those cabs for a while .... great sound .... it was like carrying two refrigerators around though.
LOL I can only imagine! 2 of those 8x10s would be like working for a moving company instead of a band!

Goot lort, I bet it would shake even the biggest venues though :D
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Tadpui wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:41 am
Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:58 pm I did play a SVT thru two of those cabs for a while .... great sound .... it was like carrying two refrigerators around though.
LOL I can only imagine! 2 of those 8x10s would be like working for a moving company instead of a band!
yeah but that was the least of the stuff we carried .... 4 big JBL bass bins with the large JBL radial horns and a bank of bullet tweeters powered by a rack of power amps.
It was an amazing sounding band ...... and we were young and small decent PAs hadn't been invented ....... it was fun
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Tadpui wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:57 pm I did end up fixing the rattle in my little Ampeg practice 1x10, so I'm sticking with that for the time being, as I like it's tone pretty well.
What was the issue?
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:57 am
Tadpui wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:57 pm I did end up fixing the rattle in my little Ampeg practice 1x10, so I'm sticking with that for the time being, as I like it's tone pretty well.
What was the issue?
The "guts" of the combo amp had a couple of strips of adhesive backed foam that had slid out of place and gotten all wadded up inside the amp. So they weren't absorbing any vibration between the cabinet and the chassis. I took my best guess at putting them back where they belonged and it actually worked! The speaker still rattles a little but it's nothing compared to that amp chassis rattling against the enclosure.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Tadpui wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:56 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:57 am

What was the issue?
The "guts" of the combo amp had a couple of strips of adhesive backed foam that had slid out of place and gotten all wadded up inside the amp. So they weren't absorbing any vibration between the cabinet and the chassis. I took my best guess at putting them back where they belonged and it actually worked! The speaker still rattles a little but it's nothing compared to that amp chassis rattling against the enclosure.
Nice! that is awesome. Seems like an easy enough fix. Good Jorb sir!