Advice on my backing up strategy

General recording topics.
Armistice

Advice on my backing up strategy

Post by Armistice »

So my recording PC is getting long in the tooth. I think it's 9, and it's running Windows 7 which I do not do any further upgrades on. It's not connected to the internet apart from Reaper upgrades. Its sole purpose is recording, nothing else. Probably after I finish the album I'm working on, I will go in for a new PC and this one is the archive of everything done on it.

The Windows Back up routine is no longer there - I don't know what happened to it, it just simply does not appear and I'm not doing any upgrades to find it again. So I bought a backup program, years ago, when this happened, and have been using that since. Not exactly sure how that would work in the event of a drive failure anyway. I back up the actual recorded data routinely to an external hard drive, but also have other hard drives with various "full system backups" on them. It's just a bit scattered and I don't really know what the hell I'd do with them, given they're done on an external program, anyway, if the damn thing died.

From where I am now, backing up "the computer" as such seems to be a complete waste of time. If the hard drive or SSD fails, the PC is probably sunk forever - I won't be able to find something similar in terms of hardware to replace the drive and the OS is obsolete, and why would I even bother? If a drive fails, that would become the catalyst for a new complete computer with new OS.

It seems to me that what I should now be doing is backing up, in more than one location, not just the data but everything relating to any program that's on it - and I'm thinking VSTs etc. - so all the myriad plug ins, which are usually just single .dll files - plus the larger items that are currently in use such as the Slate drums, the Omnisphere synth, Pianoteq and their samples - that sort of stuff. So that if this PC dies before album completion, I can resurrect everything on a new PC with a minimum of fuss. (Ha! :lollers: ) To some extent I'm sort of already doing this but there's stuff everywhere and getting systematic and organised about it is probably a good idea.

So that's the question - ditch the full computer back up thingy and just track down all the individual VSTs and executables and ensure I have them all backed up as well, in multiple places, or continue with "proper" full system backups? The hard drive is making the odd noise and I'm getting nervous. :eek:

What say you?
vomitHatSteve

Re: Advice on my backing up strategy

Post by vomitHatSteve »

If I were behaving correctly with my similarly-configured PC, my strategy would be:

Install a secondary hard drive
Periodically back up the $HOME/AppData/Roaming/REAPER folder to that drive
Keep a list of all the software as well as installer files there
Copy stems over from projects as I complete them

Then I would periodically backup the full contents of that drive to an external location. (probably AWS S3 at this point. 2 cents per GB per month is pretty cheap)

That is all assuming I'm acting right. So far, I've installed the secondary drive.
rayc

Post by rayc »

I manually back up the stuff I need to keep safe and have system restore to a 2nd drive.
I used to use a back up program but when I needed it after a catastrophic failure it wouldn't work properly because the reformatted drive didn't have an exact match for version of the OS. This stuff probably doesn't happen anymore BUT I won't go through that horror again.
I have three external drives attached to a W10 off line computer and all my music/video projects are manually copied to two of them...BIAB is the 3rd one.
W11 will be fun...online account/registration/back n forth with subscription everything.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

rayc wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:07 pm
I used to use a back up program but when I needed it after a catastrophic failure it wouldn't work properly because the reformatted drive didn't have an exact match for version of the OS.
This is my issue - what do I do with my backed up data done by some program that's not installed on the new computer...? Nothing. :confused:

I think I'll just do what I'm thinking of doing - just get all the files of everything somewhere, keep a couple of copies, and, as I'm doing now, back up all changes to actual projects as they're being done.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I back up to a local NAS on my home network, but I don't yet have any off-site cloud storage. I guess I have some stuff backed up to OneDrive (good luck NOT backing up to OneDrive when you move to Win10/11...MS has gotten downright aggressive in getting you to install it). I've got a 40TB NAS in RAID5 (so about 30TB of space) that I back up video and music projects to on my home network.

I don't do anything to back up apps or plugins. They're all available online so I just go get them again when I need to. I lost an SSD a couple years back and had to do that. And the previous year I'd intentionally cleared everything when upgrading/migrating to newer hardware. It's not a fast process, and it'll test your data cap if your ISP has one (I found out that mine does). But I was able to recover everything that I use in a day or so. Superior Drummer libraries were hands-down the biggest time sink to download and install. But at least Toontrack's download manager makes it pretty brainless.

One time when I did a clean install of Windows, it left an HTML document on my desktop that listed out everything I had installed. That was pretty handy to at least remember what all I needed to reinstall. But I have no idea how that was generated, and I've never seen it since. Could be a Windows feature, but I have no idea.

This PowerShell command will list out all of your currently installed apps. You can copy/paste or pipe it to a text file so you can refer back to it after migrating:

Code: Select all

Get-ItemProperty HKLM:\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\* | Select-Object DisplayName, InstallDate, DisplayVersion, Publisher | Format-Table –AutoSize