New Honey Hunters - A Multitude of Sins

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
Armistice

New Honey Hunters - A Multitude of Sins

Post by Armistice »

FILES REMOVED. Thanks for playing... :lollers:

Next off the assembly line - I turned that noir-ish thing I did when I first got the Duesenberg into an actual song. Never let a piece of music go to waste. :like:

I do believe it is the only song I've every recorded that has only a single guitar track. I feel naked. :frown:

Guitar. Bass. Drums. A dozen voices. Nice and simple.... :biggrin: A bit of a strange one. Not quite sure what "genre" you could describe it as... :confused: Another sub-3 minute tune. Seems to be a theme developing. :cool:

There is a slight hum on the guitar - not much more I can do to reduce it, alas. So far, anyway. :mad2:

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The new, drier, slightly less bassy, tidier, slightly shorter version 2...

I ran an additional instance of ReaEQ on the guitar with a big dive at 6k where the noise is and turned it on only at the beginning and end where there's no singing, to cut the guitar noise more in the places where it's noticeable. Turned off for the main song part. Less reverb, less bottom end, different vocal EQ, a bit, and did some more fine tuning of the choir - lining up, EQ etc.. - honestly, I should sack the bloody singer, he's hopeless. :headwall:
Last edited by Armistice on Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
JD01

Re: New Honey Hunters - A Multitude of Sins

Post by JD01 »

Sub 3 mins... you'll be collaborating with Greg before you know it.
Armi, sounds like there's a small timing error at 47s. Sounds like your pitch change should be perfectly on the beat but you're late!

Aside from that, no issues at all with the mix - sounds great, the duesy sounds really excellent.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

JD01 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:23 am Sub 3 mins... you'll be collaborating with Greg before you know it.
Armi, sounds like there's a small timing error at 47s. Sounds like your pitch change should be perfectly on the beat but you're late!

Aside from that, no issues at all with the mix - sounds great, the duesy sounds really excellent.
Thanks... :like:

Not hearing anything at 0.47 that isn't what it should be. As for timing, we are not Kraftwerk... :lollers:

I often have to deliberately try to relax and move vocals off the beat a bit. Like real singers who aren't actual musicians and don't care about proper timing do. :biggrin:
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

I really liked the guitar sound on this. It was great. The harmonies sounded excellent as well. Nice reverbs. Maybe dry it up ever so slightly?

I'd highpass the kick and bass (or highpass them higher if you're already doing it).

The lead vocal has just a bit of harshness in it. I might notch it out somewhere around 2500hz.

Other that those minor things, it was great sounding.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

TripleM wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:10 pm I really liked the guitar sound on this. It was great. The harmonies sounded excellent as well. Nice reverbs. Maybe dry it up ever so slightly?

I'd highpass the kick and bass (or highpass them higher if you're already doing it).

The lead vocal has just a bit of harshness in it. I might notch it out somewhere around 2500hz.

Other that those minor things, it was great sounding.
Thanks Trip... new version up top with your various suggestions and a few tweaks of mine. :like:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

The new mix sounds great, Armi.
Dunno what I was hearing before - I've listened to the 47s mark a few more times in both mixes now - seems like it was just taking me by surprise a bit when I listened to it before.
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

I like the 3rd mix a lot. It's really sounding great.

Something I didn't think of in my first response...

I've struggled for a long time with my voice. I have that mid-2K spike that can get harsh. The last few mixes I've had I've begun using Reaper's de-esser (JS De-Esser). But instead of focusing it on the hissy range, I have it focus it on the mid-2Ks. You can get rid of some harshness without losing the clarity you can lose with an EQ in that range. If you're inclined to futz around with stuff you might want to try it.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Listened to the new, drier, slightly less bassy, tidier, slightly shorter version 2...

I got nuthin really. Sounds good. The kick/bass stabs sound really good and punchy but not flubby. The vocals have a silky smooth character to them that suits the mix well.

There is one little tiny weird thing on the word "sin" at 1:53. Maybe I'm hearing things but I listened to that one bit several times and there's like a scratchy something or digital artifact in the tail end of the word. I don't know what it is, but it caught my attention.
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:59 am Listened to the new, drier, slightly less bassy, tidier, slightly shorter version 2...

I got nuthin really. Sounds good. The kick/bass stabs sound really good and punchy but not flubby. The vocals have a silky smooth character to them that suits the mix well.

There is one little tiny weird thing on the word "sin" at 1:53. Maybe I'm hearing things but I listened to that one bit several times and there's like a scratchy something or digital artifact in the tail end of the word. I don't know what it is, but it caught my attention.

Thanks - it could be two things, depending upon which part of the word you're referring to - there's a definite staccato sibilant spike as I go from the n to the s on "sins" - I've turned the s up in various places with a volume envelope so you can hear that it's "sins" and not "sin" as best as can be done, but there's a crash cymbal in the same spot there so it sort of disappears anyway - I'll notch that spike out.

Or, and I think this may be it, there's a burry buzzy sound on the extended "n" sound that I can hear - that's actually just my croaky voice. I solo'd it and there's nothing digitally going on at that point but I can hear a bit of rasp in the track. I may have a look for a smoother take.

:like:

TripleM wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:19 pm I like the 3rd mix a lot. It's really sounding great.

Something I didn't think of in my first response...

I've struggled for a long time with my voice. I have that mid-2K spike that can get harsh. The last few mixes I've had I've begun using Reaper's de-esser (JS De-Esser). But instead of focusing it on the hissy range, I have it focus it on the mid-2Ks. You can get rid of some harshness without losing the clarity you can lose with an EQ in that range. If you're inclined to futz around with stuff you might want to try it.
Cool - I will definitely look into that Trip... as with most of us, it's the voice that gives the most pain, so anything to make it work better is worth trying! Cheers :like:
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Last mix sounds really good to me.

Nice simple arrangement emphasizes the vocals nicely.

Your voice sounds great but really shines on some of those lower notes. Wish I had that sometimes.

How close do you get to the mic when recording vocals? Sounds like you are really good at artistically using the proximity effect.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

musicturtle wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:42 pm Last mix sounds really good to me.

Your voice sounds great but really shines on some of those lower notes. Wish I had that sometimes.

How close do you get to the mic when recording vocals? Sounds like you are really good at artistically using the proximity effect.
Cheers - it's not that I'm deliberately trying to use the proximity effect as an effect, it's more that I'm singing quite softly in this case anyway, and there's not a lot of volume on the lower notes, so I lean in a bit to make up for it - I can push the volume more in that part of my register, but then I sound a bit Elvis "thank you very much..." :biggrin: - it's a bit exaggerated - OK in its place, but not here. :wink:

I'd trade a couple of lower notes for some up the top end - pretty sure my fellow baritone @JD01 would too. Annoying to have spent my whole life not able to sing the songs that everyone else knows and sings... :headwall:

I can do most girl songs an octave down though... you should hear me do "I Am Woman" :lollers: - or high male screamers an octave down as well...

So I'm about 12 inches away normally, but leaning in to about 8...
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:26 pm
musicturtle wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:42 pm Last mix sounds really good to me.

Cheers - it's not that I'm deliberately trying to use the proximity effect as an effect, it's more that I'm singing quite softly in this case anyway, and there's not a lot of volume on the lower notes, so I lean in a bit to make up for it - I can push the volume more in that part of my register, but then I sound a bit Elvis "thank you very much..." :biggrin: - it's a bit exaggerated - OK in its place, but not here. :wink:

I'd trade a couple of lower notes for some up the top end - pretty sure my fellow baritone @JD01 would too. Annoying to have spent my whole life not able to sing the songs that everyone else knows and sings... :headwall:

I can do most girl songs an octave down though... you should hear me do "I Am Woman" :lollers: - or high male screamers an octave down as well...

Whats the top of your range, Armistice? Similar to mine?
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

JD01 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:53 am
Armistice wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:26 pm

Whats the top of your range, Armistice? Similar to mine?
In a useful way, E. I can hit F# but no-one needs to hear that, and although, technically, I can get as high as G#, anyone hearing it would probably call the police on the grounds that someone was being strangled.

In a cover band in my yoof we did White Wedding and the "start agaaaaaaiiiiiin" note was that E. I had to hit it 3 times in the song - on a good night I did, and on a not so good night I'd sense it would be foolish to go for the last one and do something else instead... "Nice day to.. YOUR TURN!!!...." and miming at the mic always worked for me... :lollers:

My register seems to have gone up a bit over the years - the opposite of what's supposed to happen. I could nail White Wedding no probs these days, I reckon. But I choose not to. :wink:
Alison

Post by Alison »

Catching up on some posts here and I have to say, I love this! The simplicity of the production suits the song so well. Sometimes, I find, that simpler songs are the hardest to record. This is cool and, if I haven't said it before, I love your voice.
If I knew what I was doing, I'd be dangerous!
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Alison wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:26 pm Catching up on some posts here and I have to say, I love this! The simplicity of the production suits the song so well. Sometimes, I find, that simpler songs are the hardest to record. This is cool and, if I haven't said it before, I love your voice.
Thanks Alison - as I think I said, this is the only track I've ever done that has only one guitar on it - so it sounds a bit naked in comparison to my normal stuff - as a consequence I had to not go too hard with other bits and pieces. I almost like my voice on this one too.. :eep: Who'd a thought... :wink:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Buddy i got nothing. I find your songs really hard to nitpick because i just genuinely like listening to them and i get distracted drifting off into no where.

But yea i do not have anything constructive for you at all other than to tell you this is another really great dark song and i think it is a homerun. I look forward to listening to the record as a whole.
:happytrees:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:03 pm Buddy i got nothing. I find your songs really hard to nitpick because i just genuinely like listening to them and i get distracted drifting off into no where.

But yea i do not have anything constructive for you at all other than to tell you this is another really great dark song and i think it is a homerun. I look forward to listening to the record as a whole.
Good good. Thanks for the ears.

I was hoping to get it out by Christmas but no way now with the renos. I realise I have 14 songs, which is too many, and 6 still require singing still and 3 I haven't even written words for yet. :spacepalm:

Not by Christmas, but hopefully a newbie next week if I can get some softish vocals done.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Definitely one of yours...sonically signed.
The bass may be a little strong and the kick a tad clicky.
When listening to the intro I thought about it, for one iteration, going from kick to bass to high guitar strings...as I enjoyed the tonal movement of the figure.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Thanks ray - I'm well past the mix that's up above - it's over a month old.