Anyone know, in Reaper, how to disable...

Need a helping hand to make sure you do it right, first time? Got some good advice to pass on, so no-one makes the same mistakes you did? This is your forum.
Armistice

Anyone know, in Reaper, how to disable...

Post by Armistice »

... the ability to select the time-bound area in the general track workspace.

So I can select the time bound area - ie. the entirety of the particular song, but dragging across the top of the workspace, above the track area. All good.

With all these harmony vocals I'm doing, there's a fair bit of volume envelope stuff going on to get them all neat and tidy, and this involves dragging things down to zero etc. Occasionally I miss and I accidentally end up re-doing the time-bound area as apparently that's what a random drag in the track area does - it's a royal pain in the arse as I then have to go set it up again for the song, until the next time I muck it up. Infuriating.

I don't actually need to set the timebound area in the track workspace - just up the top is fine, so that's what I'm trying to disable.

Any clues if it's even possible?
Tadpui

Re: Anyone know, in Reaper, how to disable...

Post by Tadpui »

Good question, I've never really thought about this before. I've been annoyed more than once with the accidental time selection in the track panel, so I'm curious.

For now, all I can find as a temporary workaround is using the 'L' key to toggle "lock time selection". Once you've got your time selection made, press L and you can no longer change that time selection either in the ruler or in the track panel. Then L again unlocks it and you can change it at will. Maybe that'll get you by until we figure out how to just disable it in the track panel but not the ruler.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Tadpui wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:58 am Good question, I've never really thought about this before. I've been annoyed more than once with the accidental time selection in the track panel, so I'm curious.

For now, all I can find as a temporary workaround is using the 'L' key to toggle "lock time selection". Once you've got your time selection made, press L and you can no longer change that time selection either in the ruler or in the track panel. Then L again unlocks it and you can change it at will. Maybe that'll get you by until we figure out how to just disable it in the track panel but not the ruler.
Ah yes, the lock button I keep forgetting about... :headwall: That's probably all there is, I'd suspect. It does seem strange to me that, seeing you can all sorts of damage by click/dragging inaccurately in the track section that the time set function would ever be enabled there at all, but it is.

Cheers
Mr Clean

Post by Mr Clean »

I can only think of the L button lock function. My problem with that is always forgetting to press the damn thing!
Cheap Gear - In A Square Room! Getting the job done! :coolstorybro:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Mr Clean wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:28 am I can only think of the L button lock function. My problem with that is always forgetting to press the damn thing!
My problem with it is that I accidentally press the actual button and don't notice and then have a moment of panic when everything seems locked and WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON and oh, look, the lock button is on. Breathe, 2, 3, 4... :facepalm2: