Even Flow - Pearl Jam Cover

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
JD01

Even Flow - Pearl Jam Cover

Post by JD01 »

Getting there. What you think? Main problem is its just too high for me... can't do much about that. Good practice though.
Even Flow Mix 1.mp3
Even Flow Mix 2.mp3
Even Flow Mix 2A.mp3
Even Flow Mix 3.mp3
Even Flow Mix 4.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by JD01 on Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:58 am, edited 4 times in total.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: Even Flow - Pearl Jam Cover

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: ↑Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:34 pm Getting there. What you think? Main problem is its just too high for me... can't do much about that. Good practice though.
Even Flow Mix 1.mp3
Nice JD. Musically it's awesome buddy. no nits on those guits. I really like the guitar tone too. Are you doing something different with you don't usually? The vocals are good. Your trying to clone a vocal master so it's tough. Can really tell you are working at it.

2nd listen: Your pitch corrector or something on the vocal track is glitching out @1:56-1:57
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:55 pm
JD01 wrote: ↑Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:34 pm Getting there. What you think? Main problem is its just too high for me... can't do much about that. Good practice though.
Even Flow Mix 1.mp3
Nice JD. Musically it's awesome buddy. no nits on those guits. I really like the guitar tone too. Are you doing something different with you don't usually? The vocals are good. Your trying to clone a vocal master so it's tough. Can really tell you are working at it.

2nd listen: Your pitch corrector or something on the vocal track is glitching out @1:56-1:57
Is that right at the end of the 2nd chorus? I didn't have enough time to do all of the double tracks again and again. There's tuning on the chorus backing vocal. Basically, I'd started getting diminishing returns on my vocal attempts. Took me ages to get a usable take of both versions of the chorus.

I'm pretty happy with my Verse vocals, the chorus is pretty ropey though.

It's my normalish guitar sound, I'm just putting the right guitar through a tubescreamer which I don't normally do.
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

Nicely captured tones. On headphones, the mix has a bit of a hole in the stereo spread on the right side at about 25%. I think it comes from the right and left guitar panning, like maybe you've got the left guitar panned 50%, but the right guitar panned out 90%. I might not notice it on speakers, but I don't have them set up in my new space yet.
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. πŸ˜‚
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Nice job man. About the only thing that hits me right up front is that the right-side guitar needs to come down during the first couple of verses when it's doing the whacka-whacka thing. It sounds just right volume-wise in the rest of the song to me, but it gets a little too strong in those first couple of verses. And that'll get it out of the way of the vocals a bit, too.

I've been panning guitars just like this for a while now, I actually like it this way. Things just get a little weird when one of them wants to step forward. Maybe try bringing the right-hand guitar inwards a little towards center when it takes a solo? Might be worth a try.

Great tone on the left-side guitar. It's chunky and the perfect amount of gain for that riff.

I think you did great on the vocals. You split the difference between Full Vedder and your own spin. There are a couple of spots here and there where it could tighten up, but overall I'd be proud of this vocal.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Tadpui wrote: ↑Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:08 am Nice job man. About the only thing that hits me right up front is that the right-side guitar needs to come down during the first couple of verses when it's doing the whacka-whacka thing. It sounds just right volume-wise in the rest of the song to me, but it gets a little too strong in those first couple of verses. And that'll get it out of the way of the vocals a bit, too.

I've been panning guitars just like this for a while now, I actually like it this way. Things just get a little weird when one of them wants to step forward. Maybe try bringing the right-hand guitar inwards a little towards center when it takes a solo? Might be worth a try.

Great tone on the left-side guitar. It's chunky and the perfect amount of gain for that riff.

I think you did great on the vocals. You split the difference between Full Vedder and your own spin. There are a couple of spots here and there where it could tighten up, but overall I'd be proud of this vocal.
The guitars are mainly just two tracks hard panned which I think is how the original is too. The only extra guitar is all the fills between the vocal lines in verse 2.
I got the rhythm L done in one take but the right guitar is 3 different takes. As I kept fucking up the solo and getting my wah wah on and off.

I'm happy that thr Verse vocal is the best I can do. But I reckon I should tighten up the chorus vocal.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Nice work! I'm missing the whammy bar action in the chorus though... :biggrin:

I was just trying it myself. I can probably hit "even", sort of but "butterfly" is a real stretch. I doubt I could do it this well.

The music is excellent though. You should launch a recording challenge with the bare track and get everyone to have a crack at the vocals. That'd be interesting. :lollers:

Well done. :like:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: ↑Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:07 am Nice work! I'm missing the whammy bar action in the chorus though... :biggrin:

I was just trying it myself. I can probably hit "even", sort of but "butterfly" is a real stretch. I doubt I could do it this well.

The music is excellent though. You should launch a recording challenge with the bare track and get everyone to have a crack at the vocals. That'd be interesting. :lollers:

Well done. :like:
I didn't have a guitar with a whammy bar until a couple of days ago.

The E of E-Ven is hittable 'cos its short! I need to try it again, I'm actually surprised I could get to the F# at all, though I am a bit inconsistent when hitting it. Hence loads of takes, diminishing returns and still having tuning on the backings 'cos I couldn't get enough usable takes.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

JD01 wrote: ↑Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:40 am The guitars are mainly just two tracks hard panned which I think is how the original is too. The only extra guitar is all the fills between the vocal lines in verse 2.
I got the rhythm L done in one take but the right guitar is 3 different takes. As I kept fucking up the solo and getting my wah wah on and off.

I'm happy that thr Verse vocal is the best I can do. But I reckon I should tighten up the chorus vocal.
I'm surprised to hear that they're hard panned. The L guitar sounds more like 50% or so. Is there a stereo reverb or something on it that would make it sound more towards center? It doesn't sound wet or anything, just trying to figure out why it sounds closer to center than the R guitar to me.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Tadpui wrote: ↑Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:14 pm
JD01 wrote: ↑Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:40 am The guitars are mainly just two tracks hard panned which I think is how the original is too. The only extra guitar is all the fills between the vocal lines in verse 2.

I'm surprised to hear that they're hard panned. The L guitar sounds more like 50% or so. Is there a stereo reverb or something on it that would make it sound more towards center? It doesn't sound wet or anything, just trying to figure out why it sounds closer to center than the R guitar to me.
I'll have to recheck the mix for fuck ups. They're supposed to be hard panned.

@Tadpui just rechecked. The guitars are hard panned.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

@JD01

Nice work. The instrumental work is stellar.

The verses are vastly improved from what you posted before.

And yeah, Vetter has a quirky good voice. Hard to emulate because he is unorthodox in his ornamentation. Maybe practice singing the first word of the choruses "Evenflow" with an h sound, like "H-evenflow" that will help open up up the throat for the belting aspect of this vocal.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

musicturtle wrote: ↑Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:12 pm @JD01

And yeah, Vetter has a quirky good voice. Hard to emulate because he is unorthodox in his ornamentation. Maybe practice singing the first word of the choruses "Evenflow" with an h sound, like "H-evenflow" that will help open up up the throat for the belting aspect of this vocal.
Cheers mate, that's great advice. Even just saying it to myself in the kitchen I can see how it'll help.

My 2nd attempt at the chorus will be better, it always is. I have one stab at it just working out what to do then the 2nd time I try it I already know it and can generally enjoy it and get into it a bit more. Aside from the tuned backing vocals I think what I've recorded so far sounds pretty sterile... like I'm trying really hard to find the melody when the delivery is far more important.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

musicturtle wrote: ↑Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:12 pm @JD01

"Heathen flow... thoughts arrive like butterflies" πŸ™‚πŸ¦‹πŸ¦‹πŸ¦‹πŸ¦‹πŸ¦‹πŸ¦‹πŸ¦‹πŸ¦‹πŸ¦‹πŸ¦‹

I was doing something similar yesterday, accidentally, to sing a song whose first word is "I" and relatively high in my register - hard to hit it properly out of the gun without my voice cracking. Ultimately "Hi! πŸ‘‹ Can see you there πŸ‘ˆ" didn't really work in a lyrically and musically dark song, so I changed the melody and slid up to it as "I" πŸ˜„

It does work as a technique though.
Manslick

Post by Manslick »

You got balls bro.

Nice cover.

Sonically it sounds very good. Kick drum is kicking.

Hard to match that odd vocal delivery of what's his name.

Guitar solo is killer. Very nice feedback tones and return the chorus.
Louisville KY
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Nice.

It sounds a little boomy until the vox come in; and I also might do something with the guitar panning, the two parts seem very separated from each other.

But the tones and playing is all good.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

OK, new mix in the OP.
I've definitely re-tracked the chorus vocal, might have re-tracked the verse vocal.
Think I brought the bass up a bit.
Also used my Mustang for for the lead in the chorus - only guitar I have with a whammy bar.

Mix 2A is just a few little guitar EQ tweeks, slightly lower volume on the bass and a small change to the vocal mix.
Alison

Post by Alison »

Hi, yeah, it's been a while. House stuff has consumed me lately but the need to play and listen has taken over.

I love Eddie Vedder! Loved your cover of Society, and I must say, this cover is awesome! Love your guitar breaks. Your vocals sound a bit too far back to me (sound familiar?) but they really ring true to the song. Did you double your vocals in the chorus? Your vocals get better all the time. I find that a lot of musicians/singers don't pick the right songs for their vocal styles and capabilities. . .this one suits you to a "T"!
I hope to be back with recordings of my own soon.
If I knew what I was doing, I'd be dangerous!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Alison wrote: ↑Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:48 pm Hi, yeah, it's been a while. House stuff has consumed me lately but the need to play and listen has taken over.

I love Eddie Vedder! Loved your cover of Society, and I must say, this cover is awesome! Love your guitar breaks. Your vocals sound a bit too far back to me (sound familiar?) but they really ring true to the song. Did you double your vocals in the chorus? Your vocals get better all the time. I find that a lot of musicians/singers don't pick the right songs for their vocal styles and capabilities. . .this one suits you to a "T"!
I hope to be back with recordings of my own soon.
Cheers Alison, I think all of the guitars are pretty similar to the original.
I actually quad tracked the vocal in the chorus on this version - I was enjoying singing it and didn't seem to be struggling to gets takes as much as usual. So there's a lead, a backing right behind it also in the centre and two backings either side panned 50% each side.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Sounding pretty good JD.

Listening on my good cans currently and I feel like your vox are sitting back there in the mix. I think they could come up a bit. The main vox that is. Lot's of room to bring them up.

The guitars sound good.

@4:20 there is some hi hat braking or something that sounds very mechanical? Are you able to give them any more of like a "tail" to them to make the sound less perfect and precise of a brake? not a make or break kind of nit just a nit to me. It stood out. Like it was gate'd really hard or something. not natural.

Also that pitch corrector where ever it is in the vocal chain is still doing you dirty in some places. I heard it tweak twice. I'll see if i can get time to make the note of the time stamp again.
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:31 pm Sounding pretty good JD.

Listening on my good cans currently and I feel like your vox are sitting back there in the mix. I think they could come up a bit. The main vox that is. Lot's of room to bring them up.

The guitars sound good.

@4:20 there is some hi hat braking or something that sounds very mechanical? Are you able to give them any more of like a "tail" to them to make the sound less perfect and precise of a brake? not a make or break kind of nit just a nit to me. It stood out. Like it was gate'd really hard or something. not natural.

Also that pitch corrector where ever it is in the vocal chain is still doing you dirty in some places. I heard it tweak twice. I'll see if i can get time to make the note of the time stamp again.
Cheers, Shan I'll try and find out what you mean with the hi hats
There's no pitch correction of this version so see if you can give me a time stamp and I'll try and work out what you're hearing.