NMD

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Re: NMD

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:10 am What's under the pickguard? Will a P90 even fit into the body? They're pretty big.

A much hotter Strat single coil would probably fit just fine. Or maybe even one of those rail type humbuckers.
They do exist:
https://www.andertons.co.uk/fender-play ... 0144143528
That doesn't have the phase selector switches on it though - I don't know if it would be possible on a standard one.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:13 am
They do exist:
That doesn't have the phase selector switches on it though - I don't know if it would be possible on a standard one.
Lift the pickguard and see what your pickup cavity routing looks like. As you can see a P90 is way huger than a typical Fender single coil. And they mount into the body of the guitar. They don't float in pickup rings or mount to the pickguard. If your guitar body has a "bathtub" style cavity then it might work.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:21 am
JD01 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:13 am
They do exist:
Lift the pickguard and see what your pickup cavity routing looks like. As you can see a P90 is way huger than a typical Fender single coil. And they mount into the body of the guitar. They don't float in pickup rings or mount to the pickguard. If your guitar body has a "bathtub" style cavity then it might work.
I haven't lifted it off yet (can't quite be arsed right now) but I've done some research on it. I think I just have two single single coil size pickup routs - not looking promising for plonking a P90 in there.

Gotta think quite carefully about modding this guitar 'cos its quite expensive - I don't think I want to be hacking wood away.
The phase switches could give some interesting options with a splittable humbucker in there though.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Re: Wiring options on a Mustang.

A P90 isn't going to work in this guitar unless I do some serious mods that I'll probably regret.
A small splittable humbucker is probably the way to go.

Can someone with a vague knowledge of wiring tell me if this is plausible.

Keep the front pickup switch as it is, Pos 1 - normal, Pos 2 - off, Pos 3 phase flip.
Bridge pickup switch, Pos 1 - Humbucker, Pos 2 - Off, Pos 3 - Split.

That way I'll still be able to have both single coils in phase or one of them flipped, I'll be able to select either pickup.

Make sense?

Needless to say I won't be doing this - I'll take it to a good tech.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

should be easy to do
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:44 am Re: Wiring options on a Mustang.

A P90 isn't going to work in this guitar unless I do some serious mods that I'll probably regret.

Keep the front pickup switch as it is, Pos 1 - normal, Pos 2 - off, Pos 3 phase flip.

That way I'll still be able to have both single coils in phase or one of them flipped, I'll be able to select either pickup.

Make sense?

It depends on what kind of switches you have. You might need to add a push-pull pot for the split.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:27 am
JD01 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:44 am Re: Wiring options on a Mustang.

Make sense?

It depends on what kind of switches you have. You might need to add a push-pull pot for the split.
Yeah, I'll have to ask the tech I use whether its possible to change one of the 3 position phase sliders into a humbucker/split/off switch. Basically - I've starting to really like this Mustang.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:21 pm
Yeah, I'll have to ask the tech I use whether its possible to change one of the 3 position phase sliders into a humbucker/split/off switch. Basically - I've starting to really like this Mustang.
You basically have to send half the pickup to ground on a switch. Switches come in all kinds of varieties so you need a switch that can do that without compromising something else.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cheers, I'm gonna play with this guitar for another pay-packet or two.
Its already quite an expensive guitar, albeit one I could turn a profit on what I got it for. But, if its possible, I'll probably cost me about 100 quid in tech-time to make the modification and then another 100 quid to put it back to standard if I ever want to sell it... not including the price of the pickup.

I want to be bloody sure that this guitar is a keeper before I do something like this. I'm brewing up another new song at the moment and I'll see how I get on using it in a mix.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Decided. I like it, really like it. It's basically my go to guitar for just playing on... this on is really nice so I'm actually considering getting another one and modding it like fuck.

Definitely can't afford another Japanese vintage reissue. Has anyone got any experience with the Mexican stuff? Mainly, do they still have the same scale, bridge and little Japanese frets?