Even Flow Vocal

Not just a notorious prison, but the forum to learn everything you need to know about getting your vocal tracks down, from a whisper to a scream, and all stops in-between.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: Even Flow Vocal

Post by WhiskeyJack »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:44 am Tho, now that my 90s band is doing sabotage, I'm using a capo on bass for that to make it a little easier.
It's not that hard is it? How would you employ a capo to make it any easier? I used to play that all the time? And dude, If I can play it it HAS to be easy. I suck.
:happytrees:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Armistice wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:14 am How do you do a D open @WhiskeyJack - your fingers are on the wrong side for that...
Just like a regular D chord? I'll snap a pic once the morning dust settles.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I also play F maj chords like this....

I think that is traditionally a "proper" F chord. I don't know, but I barre the two high strings with my index finger, the middle finger is on the G string A just like the full barre chord shape, and I also barre the lower C and F with my ring finger. So it's almost a full barre chord but I omit the lowest F on the E string. I actually very often use this same F shape up and down the neck for major chords when I want to omit the low E string. I like the chime and harmonic content of using this chord shape. I call it the "Joe Strummer chord". He used this shape and it's minor variant all the time.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:53 pm I also play F maj chords like this....

I think that is traditionally a "proper" F chord. I don't know, but I barre the two high strings with my index finger, the middle finger is on the G string A just like the full barre chord shape, and I also barre the lower C and F with my ring finger. So it's almost a full barre chord but I omit the lowest F on the E string. I actually very often use this same F shape up and down the neck for major chords when I want to omit the low E string. I like the chime and harmonic content of using this chord shape. I call it the "Joe Strummer chord". He used this shape and it's minor variant all the time.
Put a fucking shirt on . this isn't OnlyFans.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:15 pm

Put a fucking shirt on . this isn't OnlyFans.
It's summer in Texas and I'm just sitting around the house. 95% of my day is shirtless. I aint getting dressed for a stupid pic. :mad2:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:15 pm Put a fucking shirt on . this isn't OnlyFans.
:lollers2:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:53 pm I like the chime and harmonic content of using this chord shape. I call it the "Joe Strummer chord". He used this shape and it's minor variant all the time.
When I use that chord shape I don't bother with either the bottom E or A strings, just start the chord by playing F on the D string.

Normally though, if I'd playing F as part of a sequence of country chords I wrap my thumb over the top.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:25 pm
vomitHatSteve wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:44 am Tho, now that my 90s band is doing sabotage, I'm using a capo on bass for that to make it a little easier.
It's not that hard is it? How would you employ a capo to make it any easier? I used to play that all the time? And dude, If I can play it it HAS to be easy. I suck.
Capo 4 so that the low Ab is on an open string.
I'm ostensibly supposed to be doing vocals, which is tricky since I don't know the song!
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:14 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:25 pm

Capo 4 so that the low Ab is on an open string.
I'm ostensibly supposed to be doing vocals, which is tricky since I don't know the song!
Ahh! singing along as well. that would make it a bit tricky for sure. As you were. I was never here.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:42 pm
Armistice wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:14 am How do you do a D open @WhiskeyJack - your fingers are on the wrong side for that...
@Armistice

yes. I hamfist everything. I have no chill or strumming dynamics and i don't care. But you asked. There ya go. :like:
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:32 am @Armistice

yes. I hamfist everything. I have no chill or strumming dynamics and i don't care. But you asked. There ya go. :like:
My head hurts now :D Although I think that there's a future in the wrong-way chords series.

Whatever mic you're speaking into, it sounds great. Even the unamplified string clacking came through where I could hear the chords.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Tadpui wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:03 am
WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:32 am @Armistice

My head hurts now :D Although I think that there's a future in the wrong-way chords series.

Whatever mic you're speaking into, it sounds great. Even the unamplified string clacking came through where I could hear the chords.
Cheers buddy. My head hurts when i have to stop and think about what i am doing and how to not sound like a fucking idiot around you guys cause i don't know music talk. I just auto-pilot-muscle-memory-stuff these days. AsusLaptopGsharpminor7 what??? :lollers2: :lollers2:

It's just my phone mic and nothing is plugged in so it's probably got some weird 'in the samsung box" compression thing going on :confused:
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:12 am Cheers buddy. My head hurts when i have to stop and think about what i am doing and how to not sound like a fucking idiot around you guys cause i don't know music talk. I just auto-pilot-muscle-memory-stuff these days. AsusLaptopGsharpminor7 what??? :lollers2: :lollers2:

It's just my phone mic and nothing is plugged in so it's probably got some weird 'in the samsung box" compression thing going on :confused:
I'm pretty much the same way. I know a thing or two, but just those two things :D

Your phone sounds a lot better than my phone, it really sounds solid. I guess my phone is 4 or 5 years old now, and it's an LG that sucks donkey balls in pretty much every way, even by the standards of 4 or 5 years ago. I've just discounted my phone as any sort of video or audio recording device, so I'm legit surprised to see and hear a phone do such a good job.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:32 am
WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:42 pm

@Armistice

Thanks. Very interesting - I can see how it all works, just can't imagine strumming an acoustic would be all that easy, but I guess if that's what you know, then you've devised your own way of doing it. :like:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I've said before, the cool thing about Shan's upside down playing is that the chords have a unique sound to them. His downstroke starts with the high strings. It's subtle but it's a different kind of sound and it's really cool. It's like us normies up-picking all the time.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

he could be the only ska guitarist to play all downstrokes!
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:53 pm I also play F maj chords like this....

I play and Fmaj like that EXCEPT I would have my ring finger on the A string and pinkie on the D string rather than the ring for both strings
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:10 am I've said before, the cool thing about Shan's upside down playing is that the chords have a unique sound to them. His downstroke starts with the high strings. It's subtle but it's a different kind of sound and it's really cool. It's like us normies up-picking all the time.
it does sound different .... I played with Gregg Wright who played left and upside down ....... I can actually play that way if I run into a left strung guitar because I watched him for a buncha years.
He was awesome and the sound of playing upside down is absolutely different.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

So, Even Flow, take 2.
Better, not quite there yet.
Even FLow Vocal Take 2.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Not terrible. The third and fourth ones seem a little off.
Rebel Yell