Even Flow Vocal

Not just a notorious prison, but the forum to learn everything you need to know about getting your vocal tracks down, from a whisper to a scream, and all stops in-between.
Greg_L

Re: Even Flow Vocal

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:13 pm
JD01 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:07 am but that's fine, it's live. He nails it on the album.
lol ...... live is where you find out how good they actually are ..... studio work means nothing ...... look at how many of us manage to seem like we're good just using our home studios

That's why I like live ...... no fakery or 2nd takes .... you're good or you suck

If someone sucks live then they suck
This ^^^^
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:15 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:32 pm

Cool I'll have to try it. I had an original song started (still unfinished and no vox of course) a year or so ago that I just had in standard tuning and was all open chords and hammering on and off strings. It sounded cool enough as is. But i then tried something I heard Mike Ness prattle on about one time how he likes to capo the first fret as he said it tightened up and focused full open chords. He wasn't wrong. that was the missing ingredient. I'm curious what that same riff could sound like if i tuned half a stepdown? :confused: Might be a fun exercise sometime.
I think Social D downtunes and capos, so no idea wtf they're shooting for there. Can't argue with their tones though.
I think they do a healthy mix of both IIRC. A lot of vanilla standard tuning with the capo on first and then as you said. I want to say somewhere between heaven and hell might have been as you said.
:happytrees:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Good to see all you electric guitarists endorsing the acoustic guitarist's weapon of choice - the capo... :biggrin:

God knows I use them too on some songs, don't think I've used them on an electric - a standard one anyway - but I've seen a few acoustic players who use them in different positions in every single song - it's all I can do to not scream out "Learn some more chords!" - in particular barre chords. :mad2:

I always know I'm looking at someone who doesn't really have much skill when they routinely play Fmaj7 for what should be an F major. And don't even know they're doing it.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:13 pm Good to see all you electric guitarists endorsing the acoustic guitarist's weapon of choice - the capo... :biggrin:

God knows I use them too on some songs, don't think I've used them on an electric - a standard one anyway - but I've seen a few acoustic players who use them in different positions in every single song - it's all I can do to not scream out "Learn some more chords!" - in particular barre chords. :mad2:

I always know I'm looking at someone who doesn't really have much skill when they routinely play Fmaj7 for what should be an F major. And don't even know they're doing it.
How about an Fsus2 Armistice?
Or even an Asus7?
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

JD01 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:17 pm
Armistice wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:13 pm Good to see all you electric guitarists endorsing the acoustic guitarist's weapon of choice - the capo... :biggrin:

How about an Fsus2 Armistice?
Or even an Asus7?
It's probably both isn't it if they hit the open A string, which they often do. Open high E as well. Sounds like we both know what chord shape I'm talking about. :biggrin:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I have a capo. I use it for checking neck relief. Then it goes back in the drawer.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I think this is the subject of your hate.
20220816_215433.jpg
It's a nice sounding chord when you use it intentionally in context.

This is the other F shape that I really like @Armistice
20220816_215420.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

F you.

Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Exactly - I play proper barre Fs a la @Greg_L on acoustic guitar, unless I actually want to play the Fmaj7sus2 because I've gone all Neil Young for a moment - it has its uses - which obviously I can do as well.

It's just not that hard. But it's such a common thing to see amongst your wispy acoustic-wielding singer-songwriters, and when you see it you know they only know A, E, C, G, D properly, and probably Em and Am and Cmaj7, as well but perhaps not Dm. :lollers:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

F you.

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

:lollers2: :lollers2: :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

:eep:

My eyes, my eyes...
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:23 pm I have a capo. I use it for checking neck relief. Then it goes back in the drawer.
I'm not sure if I've ever even touched a capo
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

@WhiskeyJack I think that's called an ᖵ chord
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

@JD01 honestly I don't think that's bad at all. Sure, a little hesitant on that first note but confident otherwise. Keep going! Oh and turn up the vocal...I know how it feels...turn it up anyways :D
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:18 pm F you.

F for Freak
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

How do you do a D open @WhiskeyJack - your fingers are on the wrong side for that...
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:14 am How do you do a D open @WhiskeyJack - your fingers are on the wrong side for that...
Like playing a diminished F#, you love all that jazzy shit don't you?

Do you like "thumb over the top" chords? Like Fsus2? I really like hammering on the 3rd in that position.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I'm genuinely curious - I mean I can see how you can finger the open D - from that F there - but an open D the right way up it's easy to miss the A and E strings with a downstroke, but I just can't see how you can do that successfully upside down. And the answer might be "You can't" and WJ does different things that don't involve open Ds. We all have our different constraints and abilities. If Joni Mitchell had never got polio we'd never have had Joni Mitchell as we know her.

As for thumbs, I have scary prehensile "double jointed" thumbs that most people find upsetting when I display, so I do all sorts of things with my fretting hand thumb that you normies can't... great for pushing in thumb tacks as well. They do, however, click all the fucking time, which, when recording acoustic guitar, can be a bit of a problem.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:15 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:32 pm

Cool I'll have to try it. I had an original song started (still unfinished and no vox of course) a year or so ago that I just had in standard tuning and was all open chords and hammering on and off strings. It sounded cool enough as is. But i then tried something I heard Mike Ness prattle on about one time how he likes to capo the first fret as he said it tightened up and focused full open chords. He wasn't wrong. that was the missing ingredient. I'm curious what that same riff could sound like if i tuned half a stepdown? :confused: Might be a fun exercise sometime.
I think Social D downtunes and capos, so no idea wtf they're shooting for there. Can't argue with their tones though.
I've got a shitty acoustic that I keep down-tuned and capoed back up. This is because it's a shitty acoustic, and the string tension in standard tuning bows the body out.

I sometimes muck about with capos, but they're generally not my bag. I'd rather just try out a new tuning usually.
Tho, now that my 90s band is doing sabotage, I'm using a capo on bass for that to make it a little easier.