Stringjoy

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Greg_L

Stringjoy

Post by Greg_L »

Decided to give these guys a try.

Seems like a nice little startup guitar string company. They do a subscription service where you can have strings sent to you monthly, kind of like dollar shave club. Not cheap though. I did the one-time-buy 3-pack. No subscription for me unless I like them. We'll see how it goes.

The gauge set is a little strange at 10-48. They claim that the typical 10-46 set results in uneven tension from string to string. The 46 is too slinky for it's pitch and relative to the other strings. Sounds like a bunch of hooey to me but I guess I'll find out.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Re: Stringjoy

Post by JD01 »

I need to restring again.... its so bloody hot here. I played for a few hours in my hot little studio room last weekend and my strings are already fucked. I said before I don't really sweat much... but then it's rarely 35C here either.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Tell us how those strings are though, if they're good I'd go for it. I think I have 2 more packs of NYXLs to get through before I have to order again. I put 10-46 on my Crimson and 10-52 on my tele.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I kinda like the idea of the strings being heavier toward the bass side ..... how much?
As much as NYXLs? .... hmmmm .... actually slightly more since I can get deals on the NYXLs more

huh .... a deeper look shows they only increased the size of two strings .... the 'B' which is 13.5 instead 13 and the low 'E' which is 48 instead of 46 .... :confused:
also the ones you're getting are nickel-wound .... the pure nickels show as being 10-46 and even the custom sets don't offer the 48

what's the difference between pure nickel and nickel wound? gotta go but I'm sure they detail it out ...... look later I will

interesting

I'm gonna be curious what you find

gig time ...............
Last edited by Lt. Bob on Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I've seen their ads on FB for a couple of years now, and I've always been curious. Ultimately I'm so attached to my NYXLs that I'm not very motivated to try other brands at this point.

But the subscription model is interesting though. I'm awful about changing strings. I do it maybe once a year on average across my several guitars (except bass...I don't even remember the last time I changed those strings). So a subscription would either prompt me to change strings more often like I should, or it would result in a massive stockpile of strings piled up in the corner, awaiting a string changing frenzy that might never come :)
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Tadpui wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:23 pm I've seen their ads on FB for a couple of years now, and I've always been curious. Ultimately I'm so attached to my NYXLs that I'm not very motivated to try other brands at this point.

But the subscription model is interesting though. I'm awful about changing strings. I do it maybe once a year on average across my several guitars (except bass...I don't even remember the last time I changed those strings). So a subscription would either prompt me to change strings more often like I should, or it would result in a massive stockpile of strings piled up in the corner, awaiting a string changing frenzy that might never come :)
Tad... that's exactly what I'm thinking. All of it.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:13 pm

what's the difference between pure nickel and nickel wound?
A few dollars.

Other than that, no idea.
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

The Duesenberg is set up to take custom gauge strings, apparently. 10 - 50 - and there's only one place in the country that routinely has them. So far I've been able to get them OK.
paulman

Post by paulman »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:31 pm Decided to give these guys a try.

Seems like a nice little startup guitar string company. They do a subscription service where you can have strings sent to you monthly, kind of like dollar shave club. Not cheap though. I did the one-time-buy 3-pack. No subscription for me unless I like them. We'll see how it goes.

The gauge set is a little strange at 10-48. They claim that the typical 10-46 set results in uneven tension from string to string. The 46 is too slinky for it's pitch and relative to the other strings. Sounds like a bunch of hooey to me but I guess I'll find out.
I just got a set of these a couple of weeks ago. I got custom gauges though, which negates that tension balancing thing they do. I wanted to try out Hendrix’s gauges, because it sounded interesting and like it might work for me. They’re 10 13 15 26 32 38. Sounds crazy I know, and it’s not what you would expect Jimi to have used. But my Tele is super heavy on the bottom, so the lighter low strings really give it more definition. And that 15 for the G string is really easy on my aging fingers, though I have to adjust my feel for bends. I keep overshooting.

How are they working for you, Greg? Hooey or is there a difference?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

paulman wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:14 am

How are they working for you, Greg? Hooey or is there a difference?
I don't know yet. I haven't put them on anything.

I'll probably put them on my Goldtop Les Paul first, as that's my #1 guitar. If there's anything good or bad about the strings I'll be able to easily notice it on that guitar.

I'll also put a set on one of the Mosrites. The Mosrite Vibrato unit has a tendency to break the little E strings right at the ball end winds. It's common practice in the Mosrite world to actually solder the wraps on the ball end of the little E to keep it from breaking in the Mosrite Vibrato. It's a weird quirk of the Mosrite. I'm not gonna sacrifice one of these Strinjoys to breakage so I'll solder the Stringjoy too, but I wanna see how they hold up to surf twang vibrato wiggles and the Mosrite is the guitar to do it.
Rebel Yell
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:13 pm I kinda like the idea of the strings being heavier toward the bass side ..... how much?
As much as NYXLs? .... hmmmm .... actually slightly more since I can get deals on the NYXLs more

huh .... a deeper look shows they only increased the size of two strings .... the 'B' which is 13.5 instead 13 and the low 'E' which is 48 instead of 46 .... :confused:
also the ones you're getting are nickel-wound .... the pure nickels show as being 10-46 and even the custom sets don't offer the 48

what's the difference between pure nickel and nickel wound? gotta go but I'm sure they detail it out ...... look later I will

interesting

I'm gonna be curious what you find

gig time ...............
I am quoting here from StringJoy's website...

"Both terms are referring to the wrap wire of the wound strings in the set. In Nickel Wound / Nickel-Plated Steel strings, the wrap wire is steel, plated with nickel—typically about 8% of the finished wrap wire is nickel, and 92% is steel. In Pure Nickel guitar strings, the wrap wire is, well, pure nickel."

"Generally speaking, pure nickel guitar strings are warmer, are fuller in the bass register, and have less mid-range content. Think of them like a string that’s already been broken in a bit.

Nickel wound guitar strings are brighter, more mid-rangey, and have sharper, crisper attack."

https://stringjoy.com/pure-nickel-vs-ni ... r-strings/
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

musicturtle wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:58 pm

"Generally speaking, pure nickel guitar strings are warmer, are fuller in the bass register, and have less mid-range content. Think of them like a string that’s already been broken in a bit.

To me that sounds pretty good. I shoulda got pure nickel. I don't like dead strings, but I like new strings when they just start to stop being new.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I've got Strinjoys on my Harley Benton right now.

They seem pretty good. Tho I've only got Longs on there, which is still too short. I'll swap them out for heavier gauge extra longs next time I change them, but at $35 a set, I'm dragging my feet a lot more about changing!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Okay first impressions on my 78 LP Custom.....they're guitar strings. I'm not feeling anything particularly special about them. They're nice, they stretched in quick and stay in tune, they sound clear and resonant, but all strings should do that.

The slightly weirder gauge and alleged "balanced tension" is undetectable by me. Granted I'm no pro player, but I'm good enough to know how I like things to feel. And I know very well how this guitar feels. These strings feel fine and I guess that goes in the plus column. I'm not having to physically adjust for anything. They feel good under the fingers while not being my typical gauge. If you put these strings on this guitar without my knowing it and then handed it to me I wouldn't be able to tell that anything is different, so that's good. I like that. If anything, maybe the balanced tension feels a little "soft". It's comfortable. Easy to play, but this guitar is easy to play anyway so maybe this guitar is not good for that kind of judgement. They sound like new strings. No big deal there. We'll see how long they last with my kind of furious downstroking and hot humid sweaty gigs and solos that are not much more than a bunch of sloppy bends.

They're also stupidly long. Like...ridiculously long. The ends I'm snipping off the tuners could probably string a mandolin. They're crazy long. They could cut back on the length and maybe cut back on the price? And maybe cut back on the artisan hipster packaging and stickers and hand signed letters and stuff? That'd be cool. I don't need or care about any of that. They don't need to be so long and they don't need to be in individual boxes hand signed in blood if that could cut the price.
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

@Greg_L when you first tried NYXL’s did they do anything for you? Because for me right out of the gate they were noticeably better than anything else I’ve played. At least I thought so at the time. Now I’m just used to them.

If so, maybe these are just as good?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:42 am @Greg_L when you first tried NYXL’s did they do anything for you? Because for me right out of the gate they were noticeably better than anything else I’ve played. At least I thought so at the time. Now I’m just used to them.

If so, maybe these are just as good?
NYXLs blew me away right off the bat. They are truly different. These Stringjoys are not noticeably different or better than my usual 10-46 Ernie Balls. But they're not bad. I like them so far. Do I like them enough to not buy Erie Balls anymore? I don't know yet but I doubt they'll become my new go-to.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

liv_rong wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:42 am @Greg_L when you first tried NYXL’s did they do anything for you? Because for me right out of the gate they were noticeably better than anything else I’ve played. At least I thought so at the time. Now I’m just used to them.
that was ( and still is ) my reaction to them
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:57 am
that was ( and still is ) my reaction to them
Same for me too.
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Sod it, won't bother then.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:58 pm Sod it, won't bother then.
I don't even know if they'll ship to rural UK farms.
Rebel Yell