Switchless Wah Pedals

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Switchless Wah Pedals

Post by JD01 »

I've been moaning about my old Wah pedal for ages but I'm finally gonna get another one - I actually like using a wah wah, think they sound cool provided they're not overused.

Anyone tried a "swtichless" wah? Apparently you put your foot on it and it works but they you stop moving it and the effect turns off?
https://www.andertons.co.uk/jim-dunlop- ... chless-wah

Otherwise I was just gonna get this:
https://www.andertons.co.uk/jim-dunlop- ... ack-jd535q

Not sure what the tone options are between those two wahs - they both have adjustable Q apparently.

Or I might just not bother and carry on using my phaser in place of a Wah.
Armistice

Re: Switchless Wah Pedals

Post by Armistice »

It sounds like a good idea - I always hated the big stomp you have to do to activate the wah in the first place...
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:59 am It sounds like a good idea - I always hated the big stomp you have to do to activate the wah in the first place...
Yeah, its particularly annoying when you're playing sitting down 'cos you just can't get the weight on. Playing wah sitting down is shit anyway - I'm just being lazy. I just worry about not being able to do a cocked tone or to be subtle with it 'cos it'll just turn itself off.

If I do order another one I'll just get that 535Q that Greg recommended to me ages ago - I'm unlikley to see any benefit in the switchless thing 'cos its just going to be a recording tool.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I have the 535Q. It's a good sounding wah.

If it were me, I'd want to know more about how the switchless wah actually works. How does it "auto-off"? And how do you get around that if it malfunctions?

The stomp switch in wahs almost always fails eventually, but it's an easy fix.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Haha, I fixed the switch in my old wah and basically destroyed it.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:54 am Haha, I fixed the switch in my old wah and basically destroyed it.
Okay well it's an easy fix for people that aren't total mongos.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I have two GCB-95s you can has for almost nothing but I suppose shipping is an issue
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

My buddy has the switchless and loves it. A Morley, I think. I'm not a big fan. I prefer a switch on the side like the older Morley's but I don't really like the tone. For studio use, the Crybaby 535Q is incredibly versatile so would probably be a good choice. I agree that you can only use a wah so much before it becomes too much.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

JD01 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:22 am
Armistice wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:59 am It sounds like a good idea - I always hated the big stomp you have to do to activate the wah in the first place...
Yeah, its particularly annoying when you're playing sitting down 'cos you just can't get the weight on. Playing wah sitting down is shit anyway - I'm just being lazy. I just worry about not being able to do a cocked tone or to be subtle with it 'cos it'll just turn itself off.

That's sort of what I read. You take your foot off it and it springs back to the "off" position - so no cocked wah available. And yeah, pretty hard to stomp on the damn thing hard enough when you have a chair legs/wheels directly under you. :biggrin:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

My manky old wahwah is actually so squeaky and noisy that the mic is picking it up. I was actually practicing with my headphones on earlier and my mrs said that she could here my wah squeaking downstairs.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:37 am My manky old wahwah is actually so squeaky and noisy that the mic is picking it up. I was actually practicing with my headphones on earlier and my mrs said that she could here my wah squeaking downstairs.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I was actually going to use bike chain grease. Same thing I suppose.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:56 am I was actually going to use bike chain grease. Same thing I suppose.
I don't think they're the same. Do you not have WD40 over there?
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:56 am
JD01 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:56 am I was actually going to use bike chain grease. Same thing I suppose.
I don't think they're the same. Do you not have WD40 over there?
Yeah, we do. I just know exactly where my bottle of bike chain grease is. I'll have to go rooting around in the shed to get a can of WD40
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:01 am
Yeah, we do. I just know exactly where my bottle of bike chain grease is. I'll have to go rooting around in the shed to get a can of WD40
I mean, you can use whatever. Even cooking oil if you want. But in my mind, "grease" is thick and messy. I'd opt for something thinner and less gross.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

bike chain 'grease' can be more of a liquid ....... I have some that's pretty runny so it'll get into the chain ..... this particular one is ( if I remember correctly) is paraffin based
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I've used the "wax" based bike grease before, and that stuff is pretty viscous.

But your standard modern bike grease is pretty watery nowadays. (It just seems thick when you interact with it because it's full of road grime, lol)
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I'm only greasing a shonky old wahwah, not doing the Tour de France.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lol ok then. Grease away.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

20220826_151851.jpg
Bloody thing is still squeaking.
Saying that, I'm surprised it's still working at all!

Don't think the squeaking is coming from the main bit actually, its coming from the screws at the heal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.